1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a beta or any feedback on my fic

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by moxiemae, Jan 6, 2021.

1. moxiemae

moxiemae Squib

If this is the wrong place to post this, please let me know and I'll take it down. This is my first time posting so I'm not sure. I have a fic that I started a little while ago and I want to pick it back up and finish it. My main goal is to improve as a writer. I am basically writing a fic where Harry is Master of Death (immortal, etc.) and has been traveling through time frequently. He accidentally runs into his teenaged self and they merge. So now he has to figure out what to do, how he's going to handle Voldemort again (or if he is). It also deals with him adjusting to being a teenager again. Here is a link to the story: https://archiveofourown.org/works/18455381/chapters/43723232

I had a beta for part of it but for the most part, it's a first draft that I've done on my own. I've thought about scrapping it and starting over because even from the little bit that I've written I've learned a lot. Please let me know some honest opinions and if you think that I should scrap it and start over or keep going with what I've got. Thanks in advance!

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Yeah this is the wrong place to post this - and I'll go with the age old DLP adage of "lurk moar" if you're unfamiliar with our "Work by Author" section.

If you want feedback you want to post your story - chapter by chapter - in Work by Author (WbA). Especially if you are considering starting over, just do a chapter at a time in WbA and you'll get at least some feedback. It may be blunt or harsh but it will be with good intentions.

No one is likely to offer to beta for an unknown author of an unknown story, and while some may go check out your story on AO3 you're not likely to get a lot of us to go do much there. It's not really set up for constructive criticism.

Edit: I opened this up just to see and it's not a bad idea - immortal!future!MoD!Harry bumps into his younger self whilst time-traveling and then suddenly IS him again? It's a slightly new take on the old "old Harry gets into his younger body" idea and that is often popular.

Your writing would definitely benefit from WbA though. You use a lot of words like "looked" instead of just saying what he saw, you use 'had' a lot, etc. It's not overly engaging to read so I just skimmed a bit to get a sense of things.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  3. moxiemae

moxiemae Squib

Thanks for letting me know where to post and taking a look at the story. I think I am going to start it over so I will go and post in Work by Author. I appreciate the advice!