1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for 'easy reading' recommendations.

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Eidolonic, May 29, 2013.

1. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Hi.

I'll probably regret posting this in a week or so when I have cognitive function back, but whatever. I'm recovering from pretty serious surgery and am consequentially drugged to the gills.

I want things to read, but am kind of picky:

Lengthy and completed.
    'Light', easy reading.
    Time travel is a plus.

Anything that requires thinking or concentration is a no-go. That includes authors that like flowery phrasing a bit too much. Think Joe.

I've read all of Nonjon's stuff (trilogy, black comedy, browncoat), Make a Wish (and the sequel) and Oh God, Not Again (the sarah ###'s thing) so far.

I do want completed things, because... I'm probably stuck in this bed for at least another two weeks and I want some closure to the things I'm reading.

Don't really care what genre, I suppose, though humor or time travel-ish stuff is good.

Guilty pleasure quality is fine. As long as it's 'easy reading'.

I think I'm repeating myself at this point so I'll just hit submit and yeah.

Apologies to the mods in advance for a fairly useless thread, blame the drugs.

2. chaosfire999

chaosfire999 Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I've not actually been reading much HP fanfic recently, but I'll suggest this. It's not HP fanfic, or fanfic at all, and it's not strictly finished but if you need something lengthy then give Worm a try. It clocks in at something over 1.1m words so it'll keep you busy for a few days at least!

It's a serialised piece of Original Fiction in a Superheroes & Supervillains setting that releases every Tuesday and Saturday and by all accounts it looks like it will be finished in the near future (by the end of the year or early next year).

I urge you to have a look even if you don't think you'll like it. I didn't think I'd get on with the theme, myself, since I have never read that kind of thing in any form... but I think it's gold.

3. Alexx

Alexx Card Captored and buttsecksed

4. Gurukid

Gurukid Third Year

5. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

This is the exact reason these threads make no sense.

OP:
    First response:

Second response:

Third response:

How does this in any way fit with what Eidolonic wanted? Here's a new rule: If there's a request, start listing stuff that actually fits with the query, and don't go rattling off your personal favourites list. Edit: And obviously, this means the OP has to make a specific query that can reasonably be understood as well.

If you can't do that, we don't need these threads (meaning there won't be any). Also, shit will be moved to the searches sub-forum.

6. Anme

Anme Professor

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

NMB's Harry Potter and the Forests of Valbone qualifies if you haven't read that yet. It's complete in WbA (though not on ffnet yet).

Backward with Purpose series if you haven't read that. The first one I liked the best, though there is a full sequel that is also complete.

There's also Fantastic Elves & Where to Find Them (the first one is complete, but the sequel is not)

When in Doubt, Obliviate probably qualifies, though it's more Recycling Bin level than Library.

Everything else that comes to mind is either another fandom (Hitchups, Dreaming of Sunshine), a xover (Wand and Shield), not completed (Forging the Sword), or some combination of those (HP: The Last Avatar).

8. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Time To Spare is a longish (170K) story where Harry gets sent back in time, has to preserve the timeline as it appears to non-time-travellers, and is finished.

It's been quite a while since I read it, but I don't remember it being overly complicated

9. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  10. Alexx

Alexx Card Captored and buttsecksed

This is Death Eater Harry who is best friends with Malfoy and Snape with extreme angst.

Apprentice Potter trilogy are perfect for what you want to read.

11. Gila

Gila Second Year DLP Supporter

One Hundred and Sixty Nine is a bit like what you are a describing, although it's "guilty pleasure", not really like your average DLP stuff and some warnings do apply. Harry doesn't feature in the story much. This is basically Hermione / young Sirius with some romance and adventure. Hermione is not happy with how things turn out after the war and being Hermione she figures out how to travel back in time using a super charged time turner. She arrives before Voldemort has attacked the Potters and plans to basically murder Voldemort using all the knowledge she had gained during the war. The main reason I am suggesting this is that it features time travel, from what I can remember is not terribly heavy to read and it's completed with 315k words.

12. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

13. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

The Awakening Power

It's in the library. It's complete. It's a nice easy read. It's got a couple of nice duels, one for fun and one that's deadly serious.

It's also got something I'd never seen before: factionalized goblins.

It's H/G, so skip it if you hate on that pairing. Also, it doesn't have the requested timetravel, and does have more than a little (mostly realistic) romance.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Harry absolutely works Snape over in a fight when Snape hits Harry's berzerk button with 20lb sledgehammer. Made all the more awesome by the fact that Snape was set up for it.

14. Gurukid

Gurukid Third Year

Er... How are the stories I posted classified as "Dark Arts stuff"? I recc'd completed, lengthy fics per the OPs request. Maybe you're talking about his "light" request? I took that to mean "nothing heavy" (or as the OP says, "easy reading"), i.e. no psychological mind-fucks. Even if he was talking about the "light arts", while the stories in my post aren't full of sunshine and rainbows, they definitely shouldn't be classifies as "dark arts" fics. And the OP said any genre was fine anyway.

Just trying to help ~shrugs~

15. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I'm not sure I'd classify either Thanfiction's or VotN's story as light reading, but regardless, feel free to make a case next time by adding two or three words to explain why the story fits the query, as opposed to just linking them.

16. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Shezza's Denarian series wasn't mentioned. It's as finished as it'll ever be, and it's a fantastic read.

HP wasn't explicitly mentioned, so I'll also include other 'verses and crossovers.

Broken series by Jim Butcher.

What would slytherin Harry do?. A collection of sort of one-shots.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6452481/1/Gryffindors-Never-Die Time travel, kinda humorous, I hated the ending.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3486089/1/The-Man-With-No-Name Doctor Who & Firefly. Not exactly humour, but it's DW, it's light.

Anything by http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1228238/DisobedienceWriter light, guilty pleasure reading. Nothing ever goes wrong for the protagonist in his stories.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7893489/1/The-Dresden-Fillies-False-Masks DF/MLP, fantastic if you like ponies.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8551180/1/In-the-Mind-of-a-Scientist Mad scientist Harry, very light read. Sequel is a crossover with stargate.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5501817/1/Something-Wicked-This-Way-Comes HP/Disgaea. Humor. Less than one chapter (epilogue, really) to completion, with it's update rate it should be done by the end of your two weeks.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6254783/1/Rise-of-the-Wizards No humour, not completed, but a long and pleasant read nonetheless. Especially if you dislike Hermione.

Guilty pleasure, ruthless OP Harry. No annoying "other cheek" stuff.
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8195669/1/The-Rise-of-a-Dark-Lord
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8244833/1/The-Fallen-Renegade This is actually fanfiction of Shezza's trilogy, but nevertheless a good enough guilty pleasure.

17. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'm as amused by everyone else by the joke, but best to clarify in a non-related thread just in case?

18. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You know, Delanda Est fits this category almost perfectly.

Its a very simple easy read, it's 370k words long, Harry/Bellatrix, and time travel.

It's not a stunning piece of literature, and fails to live up to just how good it could of been, but it's very readable and i'd rate it somewhere between a 3.5-4.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  19. melior

melior Seventh Year

How have I not heard of this? I almost don't want to read it, because it will probably ruin the perfect image of it I have in my head.

Also, I curse you all for filling my reading list once again.

On topic: guilty pleasure humor made me think Clell (although many people here rather dislike his stuff). Harry Potter and the Sun Source, perhaps?

20. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

That is a joke? :confused:
    I could have swear that it was real. huh.:facepalm