1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Lost Boot Partition

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Relic, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Relic

Relic High Inquisitor

So, I just got a new SSD and installed it without a problem initially but now I seem to have lost access to my Linux partition which was installed on my other hard drive.

The setup initially was: an HDD (which had Windows), and a small msata SSD (which had Fedora). I then cloned and copied my old HDD to my new SSD which went fine, and while Windows works flawlessly, I can no longer see Fedora as an option to boot from. I never touched the SSD that had the install either.

Thoughts?

2. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

Have you mucked around the MBR on your new SSD? What's your boot order?

3. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

I'm assuming that you used grub for the dual boot? Grub should've been installed on the HDD, and the samsung program probably couldn't or simply didn't copy it over with the rest. You can now either reinstall grub and try to get it working with your current linux install, or you simply mount the linux drive in windows (or if the filesystem isn't supported by windows with a live linux), back up what you need to back up and then reinstall linux.

4. Relic

Relic High Inquisitor

Ooh I did use grub, so that's probably it! I thought the copy would be as if I had the same hard drive. I'll try reinstalling grub and see if that works. Thanks

Edit: Actually if that's true, then why when I inset my old HDD I still don't have the option to boot from Fedora? Wouldn't it work since grub is undoubtedly installed there?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  5. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

It should, yes, unless it got broken there too by the cloning. Did you unplug the 850 when you plugged the HDD back in, and used the same SATA port for the HDD as before? If not, then try if grub loads from the HDD if you do that.

But not getting the option to boot the linux definetly indicates that something's wrong with either the bootloader, or the linux drive itself. Does the linux drive get detected in BIOS/UEFI? If yes, then a bootloader problem is the most likely. If not, then it's probably hardware related.

6. Relic

Relic High Inquisitor

Yes, I only have one SATA port available for an HDD/SSD. My Fedora SSD is in an mSATA slot. In the main page of my BIOS I see the linux hard drive, but when I go to the boot options I don't see it there so it's not getting detected. So it really doesnt seem like a hardware issue.

7. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Not being able to see the mSATA drive in the BIOS boot options probably means that your BIOS doesn't support directly booting from it. But yeah, really sounds like a broken grub to me, so see if you can repair/replace it and if it works then.