1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

LoTR crossover - Harry, Serpent Lord of the Haradrim

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Andro, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm not so much a fan of giving Harry a ring from Sauron...

It turns character development into something created by a magical object instead of human emotions and ideas...in other words, it's a dark!Harry cop-out.

2. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I understand. I believe I can keep Harry's characterization more or less the same as it would be otherwise, except for occasions when the ring exerts itself, but Harry instinctively using Occlumency to prevent it from actually changing his personality.

What do you think of Harry coming across a magical child? I was thinking of the ring acting up, and Harry killing him to prevent him from becoming a threat to his power. I would leave it vague, but it might damage the nature of LoTR magic. Should it not be done? I could finagle it so that it was a Valar/Maiar spirit tempting him, but is it too much trouble to incorporate?

Furthermore, I've defined Harry's relationship to the Fellowship. Once the appropriate Age rolls by, Harry will have established his reputation, and attend the Rivendell Council, and will only be an onlooker, and realize the nature of the rings of power in the debate.

Even though the Ringwraiths are not Dementors, Harry will fight them.I've also planned out the Ringwraith scenes, in which Harry enters the spectral realm.

3. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Well, the easiest way for Harry to find a magical child would be to simply impregnate some random girl. After all, HP magic seems to breed true nearly without fail. Besides a blood heir would definitely be a threat to his power if not managed properly as the child would just have to kill Harry (without it being obvious) to assume his position. This is, of course, assuming that Harry has a big enough loyalist faction that would be willing to accept his progeny as the new ruler. Actually you could make Harry kill the mother and thus the unborn child even before he/she would have born. It would be dramatic and plausible enough...

Exactly what kind of reputation will Harry have? Will people think him as a (fallen) Istar? Or will he 'be' just a powerful human sorcerer? Or perhaps even some kind of snake spirit?

Oh, and if Harry is fighting against Ringwraiths, he could steal himself a shiny new Morgul-blade. After all, Gandalf has a magical blade too...

4. mibuokami

mibuokami Squib

I don't see how Harry can turned the Haradrim into allies of Gondor, the two side has been mortal enemy for a very long time and the bad blood between them stretches for generations. The enmity isn't even one sided, as the steward of Gondor despise the Haradrim's to a man. There's just too much racial hatred for the alliance to stick.

Evil!Harry or not, peace would only be likely after Aragorn is crowned King Elessar.

5. Andro

Quite right. The Haradrim will be divided into tribes, not all of which will be accepted. They won't be allies until Harry can unify them and crush his opposition, which he is forced to do prior to the Battle of the Pelennor. It's... complicated. Just wait for it to unfold.

The magic child thing isn't a good idea in retrospect.

In the next chapter, Harry will obtain a weapon. Nothing of the Morgul Blade's class yet. It's a great suggestion though.

Different factions will view Harry differently. The White Council will consider him a prodigal child and assume that one of its members had sired a son, the Haradrim will consider him a kind of snake spirit, and most of the other humans and races will consider him a powerful human sorcerer.

6. mibuokami

mibuokami Squib

Here is the thing I see, Harry does not have to be evil here, the force of evil in middle-earth are badass enough without him. However if he is raised amongst the Haradrim and they follow him with religious fanaticism (and assuming he is not Evil!Harry) he will grow to care for his follower.

Harry would put the interest of his Haradrim above the concept of good and evil (because thats way he is, friends come first).

So Harry would obviously not try to ally himself either with a force that clearly scream I AM BADASS EVIL(Sauron) or the Haradrim's mortal enemy for god knows how long.

It would be much more plausible for Harry to adopt a them vs us ideology, with 'us' being the Haradrim who raised and now follow him and 'them' being anyone outside that sphere that seeks to harm, enslave or kill his followers.

Harry isn't a political animal, he is however fiercely protective, insulating his people from harm without caring for the political repercussion of his action is something I can see him do.

As a note, It would be funny as hell if he can make the entire country of Harad unplottable as a way to keep his people safe... heh.

They'd grow and prosper in secret, the only outsider that could penetrate the charm would be the wizards or Galadriel, Elrond etc...

There is so much potential for mercenary harry, isolationist nation who developed under the careful eye of a wizard, depending on when in the timeline Harry gets sent through, he could do so much... the potential is just endless.

7. Andro

Unplottability wouldn't be necessary. Gondor would have its hands full with Sauron's minions, Arnor would actually fall, and about every other race is embroiled in their own conflicts.

Except the Shire...

The orcs are about the only force that have the leisure to attack Harad, but even the Uruk-Hai, resistant to the sun they are, are unlikely to survive the heat of the desert.

The Haradrim are pretty safe from without, so the conflict must come from within. Speaking of factionalism, only the tribes nearest to the Southern-Northern border would actually be actively against Gondor, which makes sense. In canon, there hasn't been much interaction with the Haradrim. The human enemies are only the Easterlings, Black Numenoreans, and Dunlendings, and Denethor never openly denounced the Haradrim in the books. Unless I'm mistaken.

8. mibuokami

mibuokami Squib