1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

LOTR Self Insert

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Cxjenious, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Looking for a LOTR story (obviously), with a self insert named...Maddie, I think. She doesn't speak the language, and is really stupid about wandering off on her own; nor does she have any talents or gifts. She wanders from Fornost to Bree to Rivendell and then goes south to Gondor. None of the main characters are present in the story yet, save Aragorn as Thorongil (I think) and she met and befriended Bilbo at Rivendell. Anyone know what this fic is called? I found it in an author's favorite list and haven't been able to find it since. It wasn't a ground breaking fic, but it intrigued me.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I didn't read it, but a google search brought this one up. Maybe it's the right story? But LOL @ what you're looking for dude, it just sounds so bad.

Through the Eyes of the Lost One: When Maddy, an eighth grade girl, is sucked into Middle Earth, she must summon all her courage in order to save her friends, and get home. Thanks for your reviews, oh and this is NOT a Mary Sue. I accept anonomous reviews! Please, please read and review!

[edit] Seriously, this sounds like a horrible fic search, rofl.

3. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Not it, but thanks.

EDIT: I found it. It was where I originally thought it was, just a lt further down the list than I'd looked.

4. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Mind putting up a link? I'm morbidly curious about it now.

5. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

6. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

I know that the fic in question has been found, but I thought I could use this thread to rec another LotR self insert:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1690622/1/Don-t-Panic

(There's also a 400.000 words sequel)

7. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Thank you, kind sir. I'd found others in my search, but save for one with Sauron, most of them (all of them) sucked sweaty balls.

8. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

So I read Home with the Fairies. Lemme throw out a few thoughts:

Maddie is one dumb girl. No, not really, but she's there for about a year and she only figures out where she is when she hears Frodo's name. Nothing else clued her in, like Elrond and Rivendell? Bilbo, the Shire, Minas Tirith, Gandalf even? None of those give her a clue as to where she is until she hears Frodo's name? Really? And that's after 11 long chapters, too.

And she cries a lot. Like, A Whole Lot. Which, I suppose, is understandable for a girl in her position. But still...

The author does a great job of depicting both a modern person in the dirty dark ages and the sheer frustration of that modern person not knowing what's going on. Maddie's likable enough and is quite relatable.

9. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

The girl in the other one cries a lot to. Ultimately, I think I prefer Maddie to Penny.

10. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Given that the story's title is "Don't Panic!" and the protagonist is unexpectedly forced into another world in her pyjamas, does the author write in the style of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or draw obvious inspiration from it?

11. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Never read it. But I don't think so, because this just reads like a normal fan fic.