1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Making up Spells

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Oruma, May 15, 2011.

1. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

I've read quite a few fanfics, especially those with more original flavor, that had a whole bunch of non-canon spells. I'm just wondering, though, where do the writers of DLP go to look up these spells? Do they just decide the name (say, flaming sword) and translate it into Latin via English-Latin software?

I'm asking because so far I'm only using spells from canon, HP lexicon and HP wiki, and frankly I need more spells.

Help, please?

2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Well, we have this (discussion here), which really needs to be stickied.

Other than that, I get creative. Think up cool shit (while being careful not to go overboard), and then pick Latin or Greek to create an incantation. However, Online Translators are fail and aids. The way I do this is that I usually know enough Latin to know where to look for what I don't know (or I bug people that do). I mean, spells don't have to be perfect Latin (if you go that route), but I prefer to have the actual Latin translation and change it afterwards, as opposed to mangle it right from the start because I fail at the language.

But that's all really preference. Others do it differently. My problem usually is more to come up with new spells that aren't fail in the first place anyway, rather than to find an incantation that doesn't suck.

And finally, it can sometimes be better to describe the effects instead of having an actual incantation, because it takes quite a while before the reader has "learned" a new spell and you can write some random Latin word, and the readers will know what it means.

3. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

Awesome sauce, thank you. :)
    Given that thread was from nearly 2 years ago, though...may I suggest a new thread? I.e. add to/update the DLP Grimoire with new spells from fics from the last two years.

Hmm, I see a number of curses and hexes that can be adapted as healing spells (there are maybe 5 or 6 healing spells shown in canon, and I need more, a lot more), so, yay! :awesome

And yes, I do use the "witch/wizard mutter an incantation and the (insert name) spell did this or that" routine, but sometimes it's just better to have an incantation.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  4. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

1- Think of a spell that fits into the situation, not the other way around.
    2- Pick one or two specifics of the spell and use Google to translate them into Latin or the language of your choice.
    3- Mix the results into something vaguely similar to the original.
    4- Tweak it until it sounds good.
    5- ????
    6- Profit.

5. Qilin

Qilin Fourth Year

Sarah Palin's backyard, possibly with a shotgun.
    Definitely keep any spell you make short if it is to be used in battle.

Describe it in the story rather than at the end in a footnote.

I would stay away from creating long spells in other languages as it creates confusion and mess unless it is not supposed to be understandable. Such as a foreign wizard in a duel.

6. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

Making all new spells is fine, but often a pain in translation. I'd suggest using silent spell-work whenever possible, so the effects can be focused on, rather than the incantations.

7. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Or if, like me, you don't really know how to conjugate latin verbs, you could just think of what the slang or common name for the spell would be (for example, the blasting hex) and then just say 'blahdeeblah used blasting hex! It's super effective!'

8. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And no Pig-Latin.

9. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

That. Seriously, I've seen bad attempts of incantations, and I've seen some horribly lazy ones. For example, one story's Trip Jinx incantation? Tripper. Oh, and a Blinding Hex? Blinder. Wind spell? Windario. Bat Bogey Hex? Bat Bogey. Yes, really.

Non-verbal incantations are your best friends. Make up spells by the dozens, sure, but either go all out with the Latin or don't try at all.

10. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Use the Joe method:

"I summoned up magic older than Hogwarts, born from the death throes of Atlantis, and a pure flame, hotter than FiendFyre, blossomed forth from my wand."
    Joe almost never names spells, instead giving vague and enticing descriptions of effects and origin. Demon's Light is one of the few named spells in the story. I really can't remember any, yet the story has great action regardless.

Or have Harry use transfiguration creatively, which is a nice change from run-of-the-mill dueling with cursing and hexing.

11. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I like naming spell, I think it's fun trying to come up with a legitimate and cool sounding spell. Not all spells can be silent after all.

12. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

I think it's dependent upon the skill level of the user. Outside of Unforgiveables, it would seem that any powerful wizard or witch should be capable of casting silently, as evidenced by silent casting being part of Hogwarts' sixth year curriculum.

13. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    More than that, Transfiguration is a significantly more effective combat tactic than throwing curses since using transfiguration/conjuring/animation you can easily block normal spells.

14. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

Depending on how close you're keeping to canon, the shielding charm would be able to easily block most curses too, though I suppose animating animals to be blown to pieces makes for a more interesting scene.

15. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Doesn't Dolohov's purple spell/curse in the DoM battle get through a shield? I think...

16. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

As the Grimoire thread itself is Closed and the discussion thread didn't generate much discussion, is there an interest in reviving the Grimoire? I realize that the topic could quickly deteriorate into another argument over the nature of magic, but if it is limited to spells actually posted in stories, with a reference required, that might keep things under control.

After all, if the spell was used meaningfully in the story, you have a better context than 'I thot this'd be awesum!'

17. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

Non-Verbal spells: At the moment Harry is in his 4th year, so it's a big no-no at least until his 5th, especially since he's not going to get training-from-hell any time soon.

Transfigurations: it's going to be used heavily by my Healer!Harry, but again, it needs a lot of spells and incantations too. OTOH while it can be effective, it isn't a very popular tactic; IIRC in the canon books only a few people fight / duel with transfigurations (which is a pity).

18. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Shield Charm is supposed to deflect "minor to moderate hexes" so, supposedly, it's probably doesn't work against actual curses. Though I can't really think of any clear-cut canon examples.

19. JimmyCranberry

JimmyCranberry High Inquisitor

I get the impression that that was brute force rather than any quality inherent in the spell...

D.E. Flame-cutter vs. Fifth Year Hoggie student's protego shield? Score one for D.E.

20. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    knight504: I was under the impression, that according to canon at least, protego is the only shield spell, how it appears and what it affects are based on the intent behind the cast.

That being said, it could further explain JimmyCranberry's point. As a 5th year student Hermione may not have understood the theory behind the spell enough to properly modulate it to block the spell being cast at her.