1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Master of Death!Harry

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Nargles, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Nargles

Nargles Seventh Year

I'm looking for stories where Harry is the Master of Death, but with powers that come with the title. It could be necromancy, immortality, or something.

Stories like Gravesong: Requiem, Retsu's Folly, The Stalking Blood Sack, and the like are perfect examples of what I'm looking for.

EDIT: I should mention that Harry being the Master of Death has to be a major part of the plot as well.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  2. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  3. Nargles

Nargles Seventh Year

Thanks, I looked throught that thread beforehand, but I couldn't really find something that I haven't already read.

I already read Samuel Black's The Master of Death, and it's quite good, but it hasn't been updated in a while. :(

There's also Hallows and Pathos by Perspicacity, which was also quite excellent.

Catharsis is another good one, but we never really see what being the Master of Death entails in the fic.

Then there was that Star Empire story that was... okay, but not exactly great. Idk, but I guess it's one of those things that you either love or hate.

Any other stories you know about?

4. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    DisobedienceWriter has one, though it's abandoned and not particularly good (something you can say about most of his stuff).

5. Little Knee

Little Knee Seventh Year

Nuhuh's Catharsis features the most badass Master of Death!Harry I've ever read

6. Nargles

Nargles Seventh Year

Yes, I've read that one. And although, I enjoyed The Birth of Evil, you're right, most of his stuff is of dubious quality.

I also read Masters of Death by Ruskbyte, which I thought was fantastic, except for the whole eleven-year-olds-having-sex thing.

I also found this one, which involves Harry going back in time after getting hit with Voldemort's Killing Curse in DH. It's nothing special, but not the worst either.

Indeed, Catharsis kicks much ass, but we've never really seen what being the Master of Death entails. Other than Harry banishing the Grim Reapers during his duel with Dumbledore, or references about how he used his title of Master of Death to kill Albus Severus, we don't really know much about what it means to be the Master of Death.

I guess what I'm looking for is a story that revolves around Harry being the Master of Death with full explanations of what that is and/or physical/magical manifestations of being the Master of the Hallows. Something similar to Gravesong.

7. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Actually, I'm writing a one-shot that sorta runs off the premise. Not exactly a Master-of-Death story, but the Hallows and their effects, both alone and combined, are very important. I'll probably have it done within a week.

8. Nargles

Nargles Seventh Year

I can't wait to read it. :awesome

Althought, I do hope it comes with a side of Voldebabe as well, my friend. You spoiled us with those crazy bi-weekly you had going a couple of weeks ago.

I hope they start up soon again. :p

9. T3t

High Score:
    Yeah, my muse drifts off every month or two, so I go and write something else. Hopefully it'll get back on track soon :p

10. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

11. Sir Sable

Sir Sable Second Year

12. Nargles

Nargles Seventh Year

Yes, I'm quite familiar with your fuckintastic stories. :awesome

God, they tend to be an incredible read, especially Renegade Cause and Countdown... well except for that Snape/Lily fic you wrote.

I follow Potter Laws XVII and XXXIV to the letter. :p

I read that as well. I didn't really care much for the bashing, though.

13. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

I like Countdown more than Renegade Cause. Though I <3 love both. NO suggestions for the OP. There was a H/Hr story I recall reading once that I think Pers recommended that involved a MasterofDeath!Harry but it was angsty, contrived, full of bashing, etc. Though it had good writing. Can't remember the name though.

14. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Years ago I read a series entitled Incarnations of Immortality by Piers Anthony of Xanth fame. The first book was On a Pale Horse, which at the time was a fairly kick ass book. Nowadays it's just a really short and simple story.

For those of you not in the know, a basic synopsis:

A guy about to commit suicide is startled by Death showing up to claim his soul and he accidentally shoots Death instead. Now he has to take his place and become the Incarnation of Death.

It's a little lame in that regard, but it goes into the job itself which was what was interesting. I could see a semi crossover using that idea. Harry having/needing/wanting to perform a job similar to Death's (something different, not just collecting souls.) Or perhaps taking a position as an aspect of Death (one of many).

I suppose this should be in the Plot Bunnies thread to fill out the thought, but it seemed relevant enough. Of course now that it's in my head, I'll have to write the damn thing to get it out.

15. Atomicwalrus

Atomicwalrus Fourth Year

Is this the one your talking about: Coming Back Late

16. T3t

High Score:
    It's not really angsty, contrived, or full of bashing, but time may have dulled the edges of that memory. I remember enjoying reading it, and I tend to be pretty picky about Romance, so it's definitely not "bad".

17. Atomicwalrus

Atomicwalrus Fourth Year

I haven't read it in a while as well but I think it had light Ron bashing, I only suggested it because its the only H/Hr Master of death!Harry I could think of.

18. T3t

High Score:
    Eh, maybe. Normally I despise bashing, so I think I would have remembered it. Ginny was sorta meh, but wasn't bashed as such.

19. Atomicwalrus

Atomicwalrus Fourth Year

I'll agree with you on bashing normally I can't stand it, I think the extent of the bashing in that fic was Ron was a shity husband.

Then again I haven't read it in ages

20. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

That's the one. I just didn't like the whole plot. So senseless of Harry to just ditch his friends like that. Never made sense to me. But thanks for finding it.