1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Methods of Rationality being sold for $11?

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Fatality, May 29, 2012.

1. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

2. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

3. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

They can get away with it because they are selling it at manufacturing cost. The guy who made it has been plugging it here.

It's not actually made by LessWrong, it's a fan who decided to make printed copies. I don't know if that's enough to make it legal, but he seems to think it is.

4. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

...Why on earth would anyone buy a paper copy of that, even at manufacturing cost?

5. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Groundskeeper

Because they are more or less fools.

Seriously, It's hilarious that people would buy a fan-fiction for $11. But again 50 shades of grey come in mind, not that it was much better.

Also,...there's nothing to say, only:facepalm

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  6. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Ah, I didn't know that part. Does anyone know whether that actually makes it legal or not? I mean, wouldn't the site be profiting off of it if they take a cut (which I'd presume they would be). Still seems very dodgy to me.

7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm believe that it's only illegal to make a profit off other copyrighted works.

8. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I enjoy how the word WRONG is clearly stamped on the cover as a warning.

9. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Holy fucking page breaker, dude. Reduce the size of the picture to something more appropriate for in-thread display.

Otherwise, I have nothing to say here. Nothing, nothing at all.

10. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Unless explicitly authorized by the authors (both JKR and ESY), it almost certainly violates Lulu's proscription regarding printing work for which the customer does not own a copyright. Lulu is quite specific about reprinting fanfiction:

Emphasis theirs. On the link provided, you can find an address where one can forward concerns regarding copyrighted work and fanfiction. If you feel strongly about it, and don't mind doing Mr. Yudkowsky a favor, you can always write them and let them know of your concerns.

11. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Lol, he's actually trying to claim it under creative commons. Regardless of the legality of that (I suppose it's never been tested in court), it's a clear cut case when it comes to Lulu's policy, as Pers points out.

12. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Besides the obvious problems that Pers sorted out... ugh, why in the Nine Hells is this still happening with this guy? I thought the whole MoR phenomenon had died out, and that he had stopped updating frequently.

And on a side note, if a fan is trying to shill this on his site, not just Reddit, and he ends up drawing extra ad revenue from increased traffic (presuming he had something like that arranged), wouldn't that violate fanfic policies as well? It seems like a real grey area.

13. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves High Inquisitor

Well, it's not as if this is a new thing; dozens of successful fanfictions have been put to print and sold over the years - there's even a Facebook group dedicated to selling a book version of Fallout Equestria.

Even so, it boggles my mind that someone would willingly pay for a copy, when free versions exist in multiple places online.

To be fair to LessWrong, though, it does seem as if some random bloke has just decided to create a printed copy without consulting him. It isn't really his fault. So, unless LessWrong decides to link to it or endorse it, it's the other guy's problem.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  14. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Taure will be pleased. Less Wrong may just get sued by Rowling after all.

It is illegal.

15. Hello

Hello Professor

The question is not the legality anymore, but rather whether Less Wrong had knowledge of this, and ok'ed it. Then he is totally violating copy-right all over the place. Otherwise he is just a guy who got something he posted on the internet published without his knowledge.

16. Cadence

Cadence First Year

Looks like it's gone from lulu.com:

"Hmmm, we can't find this product, but we have many other great offerings!"

17. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

That's nothing: DLP is apparently charging that much just to read this thread. :awesome

[​IMG]

18. serenadeofhatred

serenadeofhatred First Year

I highly, highly, highly, doubt LessWrong does not know that this is going on. I've looked through the reviews for MOR, and a lot of his fans are talking about printing the fic, and then sharing it with friends. Remember, LessWrong is very interested in spreading himself past the typical Fanfiction community. I would be very surprised if he spoke out against people publishing his work.

19. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

Wait... there's an entire subreddit for just that particular fic? Not for HP or HPfanfiction in general, but also for MoR?

Well, damn.

Only caveat I can see with this is that fan in question isn't making any profit by selling it in print form, since the cost of the book is the manufacturing cost. I don't know the legal consequences of that, not that is seems relevant anymore since apparently the book was pulled by Lulu.

20. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Whoa, does that mean you never go to the cinema, buy a book or a movie because you can (more or less) steal it? There are some fanfics I wouldn't mind having sitting on my bookshelf.