1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Shezza, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

Ahoy all. I guess it's my turn to ask for some help from the DLP gang.

I keep getting Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Errors whenever I right-click or attempt to delete some files. The message is usually as follows:
    Runtime Error.

Program C:\Windows\explorer.exe

Abnormal program termination

This affects all of my larger files, regardless of parition or hard-drive. The files affected have, so far, been very large (at least a few gigs). It's included game images (around 6 gig), DVD iso's (4.7 gig) and a 10gig True Crypt volume. My guess is that it's something to do with file size. Google has not been my friend in this instance, but I'll keep trying.

If one of the more knowledgabe IT's guys know what's going on and how I can fix it, I'd be very appreciative. At the moment, I'm considering formatting my system partition (which would be a gigantic pain in my arse) and reinstalling Windows XP.

2. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

Did you remember installing any appreciable program/update before the errors started? Its unlikely but try restoring to a point before the problem started. It might help. Run Registry Cleaners (CCleaner is pretty good) because sometimes a corrupted registry might cause the C++ runtime to fuck up. What all have you tried already? I've gotten this problem before, but the thing with it is a very large number of causes can result in it.

3. Shezza

I don't recall any specific programs that I installed that may have caused it. I've had the problem for quite a while, too long for me to remember. I keep my PC in good shape, running CCelaner and Registry Mechanic and the like every now and then. I'll give them all another whirl but I don't think they'll help.

Edit: I've uninstalled Microsoft Visual Runtime library 2005 and put on 2008. Still have the problem.

4. The Fine Balance

Do have any programs that display abnormal termination? Like once when I got this problem, my VLC began to show errors when I closed it. I followed up that error and fixed the runtime.

If you've had this for ages... well, a bit of spring cleaning might just be what Santa ordered.

5. Shezza

None that I've noticed.

I've discovered that I can interact with files at 1.5 gig but not at 2.2 gig. I thought it might be something to do with Virtual memory, so I increased it form 2048 to 4096mb, but no luck.

Yeah, I think I'll go and format it right now.

6. The Fine Balance

Ah well. If you've done this.

No idea beyond that.

7. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Before you Format and loose everything make sure you do a system restore.

8. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

Just an excuse to not write that next chapter... eh? j/k

Before formatting, try running windows update to see if they might have a fix for you. Also, you could try installing or re-installing Service Pack 3 (I am assuming you are running XP).

But, if you have been having problems for a while now, it might be time to do that format. I usually have to format after about 4 months of use. This is do to getting rid of anything that my gaming might have left behind. As well as fixing problems that occur from continuous installing and uninstalling programs that I find on the web that catch my eye.

Just do the usual and make sure you back up your important files and all that jazz...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  9. Naneu

Naneu Squib

Sounds as if some shell extension is giving you problems. In particular one of the context-menu add-ons, from what I'm reading here. I couldn't guess as to which application, especially if that has been going on for a while.

If it's killing you on the 2GB limit, then look for programs that are Win95 and Win98 vintage. But that's just a guess.

Maybe this can be of some help. In particular, the shell extension viewer link, and accompanying explanation. It's the best I could find, that comes close to your problem.