1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Minded by Peer Review - M - The Culture

Discussion in 'Other Fandoms Review Board' started by Alistair, May 17, 2020.

1. Alistair

Alistair Seventh Year

Title: Minded
    Author: Peer Review
    Rating: M
    Genre: SciFi / Drama
    Library Category: The Alternatives
    Pairings: None
    Summary: On the planet Reast, something is playing with the locals. And a team from Special Circumstances is sent to find out what is going on. The Culture needs to know, and they have a very good reason for making sure that nobody else finds out. Sometimes, the most dangerous people are the ones you trust the most.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12036536/5/Minded

I stumbled across this in the 'The Culture' section of Fanfiction.net, which contains a grand total of 6 stories. It's fair to say then that my expectations were low.

However, that was eight hours ago and I'm roughly 60,000 words in, so I'd say I was pleasantly surprised.

This is a seriously well polished fic. The plot is strong, the prose is generally excellent, what few mistakes of grammar and spelling that are present don't significantly detract from the enjoyment and even more unusually for fanfic, it actually emulates the voice of the source material really well.

The plot is fairly slow, especially considering some of the more philosophical interludes, but I think that suits the overall atmosphere and the world building was sufficiently good to keep me engaged even in the less action-packed segments.

I'd say the characterisation is strong for the most part and character voices remain distinct and 'in keeping' with the experiences and backgrounds devised.

Complaints, well I'd say that the prose can get a little flowery in parts and that some of the more alien characters do come across a little... base human at times, but even still, these are nitpicks.

Overall it's a fun take on a few of the slightly glossed over parts in the source material as well as echoing more established themes seen throughout the 'The Culture' novels.

I'd rate it a solid 4/5

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Anyone have anything to say on this?

3. dnemes

dnemes Muggle

I’ve nearly finished this, and have to agree to all points the poster made. This is an excellent fic, true to the source material. I second the recommendation.