1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

My5 - Five Characters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BioPlague, Apr 21, 2007.

1. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

In my second installment of My5 I present this to you: in order of most (1) to least (5), tell us which characters in the Harry Potter universe you would most want to live the lives of. Meaning, if you could be any five characters in the HP universe, which would they be?

Reasoning is not required but if you randomly put Dolores Umbridge and you're a male of this forum (as if that mattered when putting Umbridge :p), expect some glances your way.

1. Albus Dumbledore
    I still think of the big three - Dumbledore, Riddle, Potter - Dumbledore is the superior wizard, despite not being "equal" to the reigning Dark Lord or the Boy-Who-Lived. I think the prophecy speaks solely on a love versus hate capacity, meaning no person could hate as much as Riddle and no one could love as much as Potter. I know that's cheap but that seems to be the overall theme.

Getting back to Dumbledore, I think his intelligence and his cleverness prior to Half-Blood Prince is awesome. His few passages in Order of the Phoenix - the complete destroying of the Minister's Guard, the Duel in the Atrium and the telling of the Prophecy - carry the book and make it worthwhile despite all the whining Harry does.

Plus I've always liked more intelligence-oriented characters (Holmes, for instance) in contrast to brute-strength/power, which shows in the fanfiction I pick to read.

He has no confidant because there is no one he can confide in who is brilliant nor clever enough to understand him. Even Harry Potter does not deserve to know half the things Dumbledore knows. And he never does in HBP. It's with great reluctance it seems, that Dumbledore even shares knowledge and the Snape affair is left ambiguous. Some try to lump Minerva with Dumbledore but this is a joke. McGonagall is a 70 year old student, much like Severus, holding petty grudges, although she is vastly better than him.

His nature is ambiguous. How many different types of Dumbledore have we seen? So many people try to write Dumbledore and they make a very critical mistake - trying to put him in a very human/very close capacity. Dumbledore is not close. He's a demi-God in the background who you know little of and attempting to portray him as a con-man, manipulator, grand chess master or anything other than the ambiguous guru he is, is setting yourself up for failure.

Even HBP Dumbledore seems to fail because he talks too much. He's in your face, and he's arrogant. He is not Dumbledore. Dumbledore is the 5th book Dumbledore who didn't look into Harry's eyes because he knew that Voldemort was lurking there. Who believed Harry wasn't worthy of information that involved him such as that. He's the Dumbledore that appears grandfatherly but in a moment is a Hercules decimating both the Dark Lord and the Ministry within 200 pages.

That ambiguity, that solitude, the knowledge and the power, all in one package would make living as Dumbledore ownage. Everyone respects you, either through compassion or fear.

The Only One He Ever Feared. Not even Harry can claim that.

2. Severus Snape
    I would live the life of Severus Snape next. The duality of his character that seems to both disregard life and respect it all at once, the double-agent persona and lets face it -- he's an asshole. As you grow older, you get a lot more cynical usually and you might even find yourself hating teenagers :). What better position than that of Professor of Potions, with free-reign that the Headmaster seems never to broach.

It would be a bleak life, I'm certain. No women, no friends and certainly no respect from either group but Snape is a genius and may in fact be the better villain in the series if Book 7 keeps Snape as the man who played both sides until he ascertained the Bad Side would be the better bet. Inventing spells? A master of potions? Witty and you know you hate him :p.

I think a lot of hate for Snape comes from the slash aspect and the Hermione/Severus shit that comes around. I disregard that. Severus is not a loving individual. There is no one (unless Rowling pulls the Lily card out of her ass in the next story) in his life and he may have been actually abused, physically. He parallels Riddle and Potter in that respect - no love, but he may have actually been beaten.

It'd be interesting. I'd have to get used to the hook nosed, however.

3. Gilderoy Lockhart
    This would have to be prior to Chamber of Secrets or during it, perhaps, otherwise I'd be a vegetable :)p), but I've liked Lockhart. He's a complete asshole, nearly powerless but more than makes up for it in the mental department (whichever mental you want to look at). Oblivation charms? Writing books and stealing? What an awesome life to live. Accolades given to you for doing absolutely nothing other than infringing on others' rights?

You could be arrogant but you'd need to stay out of the limelight. He probably thought Hogwarts would be a simple teaching job. Unfortunately Harry resided there during this time or otherwise, no one would be the wiser. And Lockhart's a babe magnet.

This would be the guilty pleasures character that one could live as.

4. Blaise Zabini
    Pureblood. Ambiguous. Not a power-player but wealthy, is capable of being there and seems to be a neutral party. Sometimes it pays to not be affiliated with a side, hopefully one could pay to keep out of the fighting and enjoy the good life.

5. Sirius Black
    Before OOTP, obviously. Last Black, slightly unhinged, been to prison and kicks Molly's ass in OOTP. Seems powerful but the arrogance would have to be moderated or else you might find yourself flying through a veil or something. Seems to be the only Marauder free of everything - Remus has lycanthropy, Peter's a pussy/enslaved and James just seemed like a two-faced dick but Sirius seems to be a straight shooter.

He also seems to have his own opinion that doesn't conform to whatever Dumbledore's thinking (like everyone else's does, including Moody's).

----------------​

Anyway, those would be my five. I'd live as them if given the opportunity. I didn't put Harry Potter because while he's the titular star, he's not only a pussy but he has few opinions that don't seem to be "forced" upon him by either the author who makes herself known in the "trio" or by other characters who constantly heap pressure on him.

Not powerful really, mentally or physically, either. If it was after POA, I might have put him down simply because he seemed destined for OMGWTFBBQ power and after PS/COS because he seemed intelligent and beyond his years then. But dealing with friends like Ron, having everyone flip-flop on your ass and generally being a whining ass doesn't help. Let's not forget the fact that you'd probably die if your luck streak ran out and Voldemort comes up with a plan that isn't as fucking complex nor retarded as the ones he's come up with.

Share your five and your reasonings if you have the time :). Have some fun with it. No need to pretend you wouldn't pay some money to live the life of one of them; we do that as we read the books and you wouldn't be here if you weren't looking for some hot Cho action to implant yourself upon (this last sentence is a joke towards Sera, fyi).

2. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    1: Bill Weasley

You're a curse breaker, you seem strong magically, you are respected, and you're banging Fleur, what could be better.

2: Fred/George Weasley:

You managed to break out from a failure of a family and become rich, must have some brains, funnest life imaginable and doing exactly what you want to do.

3: Albus Dumbledore

Being the most respected and powerful wizard in Britain must have it's perks.
    This might actually be #1, I couldn't turn that kind of power down.

4: Lord Voldemort

This would be #1 if not for the fact that we all know he's a dead mo'fugga.

5: Ginny Weasley: Say what you want, but being a mary-sue ftw.

3. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

1. Harry Potter: I don't care what anyone says. I'm still the best, most shrewdly intelligent and most magically powerful person of my generation. After Voldemort is down, my future is going to be blown completely open. Beating him is going to require power, skill, maturity, and resolve, and after he's dead, I'm going to have all four, and I'm gonna be able to do whatever the fuck I want. I'm the next Dumbledore. Period. I'm already more mature than anyone else from my age group, because I've resolved myself to defeat my bleak future. You don't think I'm powerful, I beat Lord Voldemort in a magical battle of wills, and frankly, magic is nothing more than willing what you want to actually happen. So basically, I'm already more powerful than Voldemort. Give me some fine-tuning and you won't be able to touch me.

2. Fred/George Weasley: I'm filthy rich, am doing what makes me the most happy I could possible be. I can do whatever the fuck I want because people expect me to be off-the-wall. And I'm possibly the most clever wizard(s) in the last few years.

3. Remus Lupin: Dating Tonks, who just happens to be a Metamorphmagus, I probably have a few neat tricks under my belt for handling Death Eaters, and I'm set up to become the shining star of Werewolf rights movements. Did I mention I'm dating someone who can change her appearance?

4. Albus Dumbledore: Just because I'm possibly the wisest and most powerful person in the entire series. My understanding is unlimited, and I am on a level most shall never reach. However, my time is running short, and I am emotionally secluded beyond all repair. I must give way to the future, and hand the mantle to (see above) Harry Potter.

5. Lord Voldemort: I'm going to die in less than a year, but for now, I'm the most feared wizard on the planet. No matter what happens from here on out, I will be in the history books. I'm going down in flames, and people are going to remember me.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Not so sure about that. I'm sure there is a small amount of fear because of what's happened in the series. :)

I have no idea about My5. I don't think about it enough.

5. BioPlague

I think for the series to end, Voldemort still needs to be cocky enough to face Harry. I think that's the cartoonish villainy in him. He'll be arrogant, acting like Harry's chump-change and get blast by the power he has not.

6. afrojack

I've said it before. Harry's a lot like Neo from The Matrix. They all knew Neo was powerful, because he was the One, but he couldn't even beat Morpheus in the beginning. We all know Harry's powerful because he managed to overpower Voldemort in the graveyard, but Snape whooped his ass. We need, in Aekiel's words, a Deus Ex Machina, from Harry and then he'll win, like Neo had to die before he won. I really don't know why people write Harry off so easily, just look in the books. I think people have been desensitized by Fanfiction. If he's not blowing shit up with anger every few sentences or he doesn't have InsertRandomPersonHere telling him he's super powerful at every turn, we begin to believe he's weak. Pure Bullshit.

7. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

James Potter

He's got class, power, and is filthy rich. A black-haired Draco Malfoy, he's magically gifted, athletically superior, with an (apparently) beautiful soon-to-be wife. Not afraid of being an asshole or putting others down when he feels like it.

Albus Dumbledore

Incredibly intelligent and powerful. He's quiet and very private, but makes his will heard and commanded from high up his tower in Hogwarts Castle and in his brief, and apparently neglected job as Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot. Much what Bio said, really.

Tom Riddle [Pre-LV]

Incredibly powerful for his age, intelligent, good looking; perfect in almost every way. Despite his lack of pure blood or wealth, his other attributes easily make up. He's everything authors try to make Harry into in most Dark!Harry stories.

Lucius Malfoy

Though he may be a bitch to Lord Voldemort, he's powerful magically (or he wouldn't be a Death Eater), very intelligent, dirt rich, and with a good family. Skilled in apparently everything, he's got a pimp cane and a nice wife. His son will no doubt grow into a clone of him with time.

Fawkes

Being the companion Phoenix of the most accomplished wizard in modern times, Fawkes leads a relatively amusing existence watching everything in the world of magic from his safe, warm perch, protected by immortality. Able to fly, and the subject of much awe, he seems to be very content and widely admired.

8. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Harry Potter. He's the star. He is the center of his universe, and the most powerful wizard of his age. Hell, with Dumbledore dead, Voldemort is really the only one who can match his power. If he'd just get his head out of his ass and start getting better, no one will be able to stand against him. Once Voldemort is dead, the world will be his. (And if he waits a few years, he could have his very own veela girlfriend.)

Bill Weasley. His job is described as adventurous and enjoyable. He is described as the epitome of cool. And he is banging Fleur.

Albus Dumbledore (still alive). He's fricken Dumbledore.

Nickolas Flamel. We never see him, but I've never understood why he couldn't just make a new stone. Especially once Voldemort is dead. Immortality FTW.

Tom Marvolo Riddle. A prodigy. He could have ruled over all of the Wizarding world if he hadn't tried to do it the Evil Dark Lord way. What's wrong with rising through the proper channels, and then instituting a monarchy? Ah, well. He had potential.

9. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

Hmm... A lot of good choices out there. This will be tough.

1) Harry Potter. Yeah, he's got the dark lord who wants to kill him and a prophecy to face, but if you really look at it he's got a pretty good life. Live or die when Volde gets to him, he's already a legend. He's a sports star, more than a little handsome (we always hear about how much he looks like James), a leader among the students, and very powerful. Once Volde is out of the way he will be nearly untouchable. Don't like someone? Whack them and claim they were an unmarked DE. He could probably get away with it a few times, depending on who he killed.

2) Luna Lovegood. Ok, laugh it up, I chose a member of the opposite sex, hahaha... Moving on past the grade-school humor she's definitely a good choice. She's fairly powerful (the only uninjured member of the Ministry Six), very intelligent (She's brave/stupid enough to charge into battle next to Harry, yet she's in Ravenclaw. Obviously her intelligence and wit outweigh the gryff traits), has a job lined up after school if she wants it, and has a pretty decent life from what we an see (travel is always fun). That she's certifiably insane is actually a point in her favor in my books. Not only can she see things others cant, but the insane are allowed to say things others can't. Sure folks may not believe you very often but "sorry, that's just the crazy talking" is a very good excuse.

3) Dumbledore for all the obvious reasons. Mostly I just want to know the answers to questions most people will never ask. Plus he could go Dark right under everyone's noses and they'd never suspect a thing. He's only reading those blasphemous tomes to counter Volde, only studying the Dark Arts to counter them, etc... People trust him and I'd love a chance to abuse that much trust.

4) Voldemort. Fear, Power, Minions.... What more does a man need? Ok, Dumbles and Potter are thorns in his side but really he's overcomplicated all his plans with theatrics and a need to show off. Have someone just AK Dumbles. Have Malfoy Jr approach him in the hall, get close, and AK the bitch while he isn't expecting it. Look how easy that was.

As for Potter, we've proven the AK might not work. Get an invisibility cloak (if Moody has two, the Order two, and Potter one, they can't be impossible to find), silence your footsteps, sneak up behind him in the halls and stick a knife into him. Strike up through the kidneys and pierce his lungs, hold your other hand over his mouth until he stops twitching. Take him with you when you leave and turn his corpse into an inferi. Send it back to his friends... Too easy.

5) Viktor Krum. He's powerful, famous, and has a lot of the right connections. He's got the power to make things happen if he wants. How would Harry Potter react if Krum sent him a letter? Or Fluer Delacour? Add in his contacts from quidditch (both pro and world cup), his teachers at Durmstrang (it is one of the top three schools in the world, and he was the top student, he's got to know some of the right people), and any government officials he might know from his travels. He's poised to be a real up and comer in central Europe, he could be great..

10. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

Ah, now this is a good topic. Let me see...

1. Albus Dumbledore

He is my favourite light character. I just love how he has everyone eating out of his hands with little to no effort. He's got a pretty good job, one I definitely wouldn't mind doing. Also, he is good humoured and has a sharp wit. Of course, the insane power and long life is a perk :)

2. Tom Riddle

It says in canon he could have been Minister of Magic if he really wanted to. Just the sheer amount of potential and cunning puts him at number two for me. Oh, and he can talk to snakes.

3. Theodore Nott

(pre-HBP, before Rowling decided that all Slytherins are 'zOMGevil!!one!'). A rich pureblood who has the potential to be neutral and have protection from Voldemort. He's in a win-win situation and so could have a pretty decent life.

4. Bill Weasley.

Fleur. And it does help that he is a pretty cool character, intelligent and has a great job. Everything (apart from the war) is going right for that guy.

5. Cedric Diggory.

Pre-GOF. As we share startling good looks ;)

11. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

Okay, my five:

1. Harry Potter.
    The hero. There's something about the hero that's attractive.

2. Tom Riddle.
    There's also something about being the villain that's also attractive.

3. Nicolas Flamel.
    The man possessing the power Tom wants. Immortality.

4. Bill Weasley.
    A man's man with a great job and a Veela girlfriend.

5. Albus Dumbledore.
    Yes, the only one feared by Tom, but he has a thankless job as headmaster, and he stays busy with other duties.

12. belladonna16

belladonna16 Second Year

Kentucky, but my heart is still north of here...
    Bill Weasley - It's all been stated but I will state my favorite reason - his being a curse-breaker sounds like one of the coolest jobs in all of Magicdom!

Fleur Delaceur - Mostly because SHE gets Bill!!!!! (Okay, I admit, I love Bill!).

Hermione Granger - I'm smart, I love to read, and I know it! Plus, for even more fun, my two best friends are hotties named Ron and Harry. Right now I'm leaning toward Ron but that Harry's cute as a button! (Wish I could do something about the hair tho)

Ginny Weasley - Anyone who can go toe-to-toe with her twin brothers and make the fear her is a-ok in my book. And she gets the guy (or at least had him for a short while in Book 6). I rather like the idea of someone who has enough moxey to Bat Bogey Curse people....

Nymphadora Tonks - Who wouldn't want to be a metamorphmagus? AND she gets my other 2nd favorite male character - Remus Lupin - whom I adore despite his werewolfishness. Tonks is cool, fun, sassy, an Auror and all around cool! I'd LOVE to be Tonksie!

13. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

My number 1 is Fleur, yes, Fleur not Bill. Why? Because I'd totally score more chicks looking like her and having her abilities.

My number 2 is Bill Weasley, because at least I would be scoring Fleur.

My number 3 is Harry Potter, even given the crummy fate and disneyesque Orphaning, he can be scoring much more than he is. Plus, he could call in the life debt Gabrielle owes him and have her pay him back with a night out with her big sister Fleur.

And that is pretty much where my highly discerning method ends.

Other than that Belladonna, welcome! I christine thee DLP's Ginny Weasley (That even rhymed). Enjoy all the love!

14. BioPlague

Keep the flaming out of this topic or I'll skull-fuck you. People are allowed to share their opinions in somewhat serious topics and not be flamed that ridiculously.

If you want to put some thought into the flame, that's alright. And don't argue. Just keep this thread going.

Agreed. Useless flame posts deleted -MS

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2007
  15. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    I though my flame was quite clever.

16. KubYnator

KubYnator Second Year

1. Tom Riddle [pre LV]... could have had everything. And he is insane!

2. Mad Eye Moody... had an interesting live and is(was) a very respected person. And he is at least a little insane.

3. Harry Potter... for everything he could be.

4. Albus Dumbledore... for being the manipulating bastard he is. And he is at least as insane as Voldemort.

5. James Potter... is rich, good looking, the star at school... He could have been great.

17. BloodLust

BloodLust Banned

1: Bellatrix Lestrange. Because she's a complete psycho, tortures people daily and inspires enormous amounts of fear in people. lol, well, apart from all these uh obvious qualities, I think she's the most interesting female character in HP-Fandom. Plus she's not dead.

2: Tonks. She can completely change how she looks whenever she feels like. The most awesome magical talent in the books. Much better than turning into an animal or talking to snakes.

3: Lily Evans/Potter. Apart from the obvious downside of her being dead she sounds like a pretty awesome person to be. Clever, good at magic without the annoying bushy-haired, buck teethed look that Hermione's got going on...going out with and eventually marries a good-looking eligible pureblood and is then revered as a martyr for sacrificing herself for her baby boy.

4: Fleur Delacour. Because I always wanted to try being blonde :p. Lol, no, a small amount magical creature, and attends Beauxbatons, which sounds pretty interesting. Get to participate in the Triwizard Tournament and annoy Molly and Ginny Weasley. Sounds pretty good to me.

5: Arabella Figg. Because I like cats :p

18. afrojack

That was always one of the things that annoyed me about HBP. Just because Ginny is completely jealous of Fleur, as she's a better person, way more mature, and infinitely better looking than Ginny, Ginny somehow sucks Hermione and Harry into this Phlegm business. J.K. ruined that particular redeeming quality in Harry by doing that bullshit.

19. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

1) Tonks
    Like Catiff said, laugh up the Opposite sex choice if you want, but Metamorph's Kick ass!

2) Charlie/Bill Weasly
    Done with school, have a steady exciting job, and are either marrying a Veela, or are free to play the field. Win/Win

3) Luna
    Yes OK, another opposite sex pick, but still. the Insanity act, the 'invisible critters' act, Dad owns a paper, and mom probably left behind a bunch of journals on experimental potions or spells.

4/5) ...
    I reserve the right to pick these to at a later date. I'd go for Dumbledore, but it's probably lonely up there by yourself. I'd pick Voldimort, but I think I'd rather stay human. Potter whines to much, Ron's a fucking backstabber in most of the books, Fred and George still have to put up with Molly, Ditto Arthur.... Mud maybe, but I think I'd rather not have both sides gunning for me. Remus would be a good choice but for that pesky transformation every full moon. Sirius is dead, and the rest are followers.

Maybe one of the centaures... I'll get back to you.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  20. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    1) Voldemort - would it not be fun to rule over a bunch of Death Eaters and terrorize people for your own amusement?

2)Harry - I mean, he's the bloody main character an all. Besides his childhood . . . well actually, besides the fact that he's the main character I would hate to be Harry.

3)Dumbledore - Just for the fact that he's the head honcho and all that jazz. Powerful with spells, but all those Wizengamot and ICW meetings would be a bitch.

4)Hermione - how many guys have wondered about being in the body of a girl for just a few minutes? Being able to live as her? Hot.

5)Blaise Zabini - one of the under-developed characters, I'd like to see him/her (did it ever specify) make their way through Slytherin house as a fly on the wall