1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Mysterious Thing, Time by Blueowl - T

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Manatheron, May 7, 2010.

1. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

Title: Mysterious Thing, Time
    Author: Blueowl
    Rating: T
    Genre: Action/Adventure/AU
    DLP Category: Alternates
    Pairing: None
    Summary:The future is lost, so to save it, both Harry and Dumbledore go back the moment it all began - that Halloween night. Of course, things do not go exactly as they had expected. Unspeakables, Wild Magic, Time Travel, Vampires, Bonds, Goblins.
    Link: Time

Comments: I'm not sure what kind of reactions to expect on this one for the simple fact that I'm not entirely sure what my reaction to it is.

It's well thought out, It's a Fairly Unique concept, the spelling is excellent, the characters within reasonable deviance from Cannon, and the 'Bond' has nothing to do with a 'soul-mate'.

My only real gripe is that

Harry acts very very young for being mentally 20 something. On the other hand I can somewhat see it as he ends up being basically a child with the intellect and reasoning capabilities of an adult rather than being an adult in a child's body as most time travel fics do.

Overall I'm leaning toward 3.5 or 4 ATM, but then I've only just finished it so I've still got a bit of an emotional attachment to the characters and situations.

Well, DLP meet my latest recommendation,

Story, meet the Meat grinder.

2. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

First chapter was okay, but towards the end of it, I kept getting flashbacks to The Office.

Dumbledore's characterization felt a bit stilted and the whole interaction with his younger self seemed a little... pervy.

Not really encouraged to go on.

3. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    That's exactly what my own reaction was like, and I followed the link in hope I've found myself something to read while being stuck at home sick.

... aaannnd my hope simply died half-way through chapter one... :(

Dumbledore is weak, and frankly, annoying to read. And for anyone who wants to argue that...

... just No...

Magical battle =/= (cough) muggle shooting fight, where our heroes are dodging bulle... spells, and the foes are dying by the dozens.

And finally what did it for me was an infant Harry Potter who has problems vocalizing Dumbledore's name at first ...

... but then apparently switches to a super!baby mode and "roars"...

and after that mighty baby "roar", we've got a rather spectacular display of redirecting killing curses by The-Boy(infant)-Who-Lived saving the day again...

I just had to ask myself how the author imagined this scene when describing the "chunky baby hand" and the whole sweeping motion that it supposedly did when collecting/redirecting, or whatever, the incoming curses?!

All this, and many other annoying thing, which were surprisingly a lot for the short 2 chapters I read made me hit the red button.

Even if it gets better in the following chapters, I simply can't force myself to continue any further.
    2/5

4. pdo91

pdo91 Professor DLP Supporter

Dude, you just need to stop posting stories.

I agree with psihary, but I didn't even get far as he did before I couldn't read any more. I'll give it a 1.5/5, because it's not completely atrocious.

5. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    At least he's making an effort. We need people to keep searching for fics if wedon't want to end up with dick all to read.

On the other hand, Manatheron. Before you reccomend a fic. Read it, sit back and honestly think, "Would the majority of DLP enjoy this fic?"

If the answer is maybe, post it in the barely readable to almost reccomended thread. From there, people will judge it and it will go into For Review if it deserves it. That way, For Review doesn't have to be filled with utter shit.

If you honestly believe a fic is awesome then post away.

6. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

psihary:
    So because it's baby harry redirecting magic instead of adult harry overpowering it it's not worth looking at?

my bad.

the AD/MM non romance from the future bugs you that bad? it's one line in eight chapters. This also certainly is not the first fic to make allusions to the fact that Brian wanted a relationship with her and never acted on it.

The inability of a one year old to announciate shouldn't be an issue either. Note also, Baby did not say a word, the 'roar' was descriptive of the feel of the magic.

That being said your opinion is in fact your own. If your suspension of disbelief can't accept it, then that's that, thank you for your opinion

pdo91:
    2006>2009 Stfu or GTFO

Seratin:
    Thank you for the advice. I really did expect this to get a bit better reception as there seems to be interest in little used plot devices.
    Or perhaps that's just me. -shrugs-

7. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Agreed^

Not bad, not good, but it is readable which is a bit of a rarity these days. I'll follow it just because it's different and I'm always curious about how these types of fics re going to end. 3.5/5 mostly for decent mechanics, plot line and semi-original storyline.

8. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

What he said.

I've been following this one for ages--basically checking it out whenever there's been an update. It's not horrible. That said, it's not very good, either. There are some nice concepts and just enough goes on to hold the interest in later chapters. Either way, I wouldn't rec this one.

For anyone interested in checking it out, do yourselves a favor: if you think a fight or battle scene is coming, skip ahead. It makes the fic much more enjoyable.

Anyway, it gets a 3/5 from me.

9. Archer

Archer Fourth Year DLP Supporter

I couldn't make it past the first chapter myself. But it is readable, I suppose.

A 2/5 from me.

10. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

This fic just makes me angry tbh :mad: Harry's whole character is just done pretty poorly/annoyingly and Dumbledore is too OOC as well.

1/5 rounded up.