1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

NaNoWriMo ~ 2018

Discussion in 'Original Fiction Discussion' started by Sorrows, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

So is anyone planning on giving National Novel Writing Month a go this year?

For the (I am assuming few) people who are not aware NaNoWriMo is a competition that you win by writing 50,000 words of a novel in one month (November). There is no other criteria other than you manage to get the words in. Nobody is going to judge whether its good enough or anything. Can be on anything, including fanfiction so long as you write it within that month.

I think to manage it you need to average 1,666 per day for the whole month. There are writing clubs, pep talks from authors, write ins, local events etc. So basically if writing a novel is something you've been thinking of doing its a good supportive atmosphere for getting yourself started. A fair number of books have been published off the back first drafts written in NaNoWriMo.

I've been thinking of going in with my sister and seeing if we can monster some random new story out.

2. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

This will be my sixth year doing it. I generally write 2000 words a day to stay ahead.

3. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I do not think I can do 2,000 words a day, especially as I'm going to be on vacation for two months of November overseas, but I am certainly going to try to write everyday for the entire month.

4. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I did it last year and was successful, but I'm not as optimistic for this year. I'm already writing a story, so I guess I have a head start and can see if I can manage the 50k over a month period rather than having it specifically start on the first.

5. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    I would like to do this but I know that I will probably abandon my story. Is the program particularly encouraging?

6. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    You could always do a smaller, personal goal. I'm not committing to the full 50k, but it's as good a time as any to say that you're going to write something every day, even if it's just a single sentence. As for encouragement, the organisers are certainly pretty active on social media, from what I recall of past years, although that's more blanket encouragement than personal.

7. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I generally have an aversion to writing words for the sake of hitting a number because I do a lot of editing as I go, so for me, 200 good words is a lot. But maybe a change of method will yield something interesting.

I predict I'll crash and burn early on, but I'll give it a go. 50k is a lot. I would certainly like to double the current wordcount on my WIP, but it's a pretty monster number to knock out in a month.

8. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

I'm participating, more by chance than remembering it was that time of year again. Most of the time I work on stories I've already started and set aside that usually never see the light of day, but this time...

I'm doing the whole-hog thing. Starting from scratch, building very detailed character sheets, setting sheets, and a full outline (where I normally do rough ones). I haven't done this since... eh like 2003. Fuck... I'm old. Anyway. The time I did it, I blasted out 100k words in two months. So, here's hoping I can do it again and not fall flat on my face 20k-30k in.

By the way, it's a ASoIaF fic.

I hope I didn't just curse myself. Fuck!

9. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Yeah I'm in. I average about 2k a writing session, so trick will be consistency.

I've got about 30k left on an original spy-thriller, probably 20k left by Nov 1st, so I may split NaNoWriMo between that and An Unfound Door.

10. Silirt

I guess that's one way of doing it that doesn't taste like pumpkins.

11. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I have a question for those that hit the 1.5-2k daily mark. How long, on average, does it take you? I've been considering setting a writing block to sit with pen and paper and writing for X amount of time since I traditionally have failed to hit the 1.5k mark in previous nano attempts.

12. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Honestly, maybe an hour if I'm simply fleshing out an idea I've had. If it's starting from scratch and just going in blind and writing by the seat of my pants, it could be quite longer, and it usually comes in small chunks.

13. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Best I've ever done is 1k a day for a while. When I finally settled into the flow of things each 1k took me an hour while conciously trying not to edit while writing.

14. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    I average about 2k an hour when I hit my stride. May take half an hour to get warmed up, though.

Write early, write often.

And if you're working on one story, there is something to the whole 'stop writing when you hit your word count' thing, even if you're mid-sentence.

15. Silirt

When I'm not doing Nano, I write 1K a day, so Nano isn't that much more difficult. I usually shoot for about two hours total to write the whole 2k word segment for a given day.

16. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I'm lucky to get 1000 words in two and a half hours.

This is going to be very interesting...

17. Red

Appreciate the responses, guys. And respect the hell out of how much you all seem to do in a hour. I'm going to try to set a two hour block each morning and see what happens the first week. Cheers!

18. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I predict a lot of catching up on the weekends. Or forcing myself to not edit every sentence as I go, but move forward. Even if a dumb character beat is stabbing me in the eye.

19. Red

Well, I woke up late because I drank an unacceptable amount for a Wednesday night so I could not do my morning block of writing. I did, however, knock it out this afternoon. 2k words in 3 hours, funny thing is it felt like a good, productive block, but it seems pitifully slow compared to some of you guys. Either way, thats a strong start for me that I can be happy with.

20. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter