1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help Creating a (good) Werewolf!Harry fic...

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Ardent Warrior Poet, May 11, 2012.

1. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Averis and Cadence have just summarised the start of the plot for FFF, even if it takes some time to compeletely spiral out of canon. Worst thing is that there have been quite a few predictions about future whereas I'm trying to keep everything hidden. Did someone steal my notebook from its drawer?
    I did post the link everywhere, and it is in my signature, too, if anyone wan't to read a werewoof harry fic that is a third in.
    --

A small note on crossover with wod. It would be kind of interesting, if done properly, but introducing the voluntary transformation with the garou inheritant slow spreading would raise a very good question about Remus Lupin, that would be really hard to answer.

---

AWP, at least you mostly make sense - there is still hope. ;)
    On answer one prelude - oh no, Rowling chose some aspects of the werewolf lore.
    AIDS, the coming of age, the bestial side of man, the wild sex, whatever methaphor you choose or you don't doesn't really change much, doest it?

Secondly, the magical power in Rowlings world mostly comes from magical influence spent into it. There is nothing magical in a comoputer, even if it was built using lots of man power, determination and beliefs. It's a muggle artifact that has no magical value. Thus not a magical conduit.

The moon rock argument would work if it was brought with magic by some crazy wizard, who apparated to the moon and back, ariving as a pile of dead body parts and moon rocks.

We should probabably ask Taure, but there wasn't much mention about the planetoids in the lore - they serve as signs and markers for divination, herb gathering and all other disciplines. But there is no mention of inheritant power in the celestial bodies themselves. (Taure?)

Why a wizard would research what properties a moon rock has when he probably wouldn't even CARE to hear about the muggle achievements, much less to actually know how to distinguish one rock from the other. (If there is no tingling sensation of magic emanating from the rocks for a few miles, which, admit it, isn't much probable.)

On point 2. Ok, as long as there is the ritual aspect you are mentioning. Not just a moon rock.
    On answer 3 - wandless magic is fanon, with a few totally unimpressive exceptions.
    But my point of that part was just to point out that werewolves nost probably transform on the night of the ful moon and not when the moon is shining upon them. Simply because there would be too many troubles in the other interpretation, especially witn the full moon being high in the sky when it's, say, 13:00.
    If you say the the werewolf wouldn't transform on 13:00 that further supports the sign theory and disproves the magical quality of the moon itself. If you choose otherwhise, I give you that, and urge you to try that version.
    Still a werewolf changin in the day sound too unrowlingish to me.

On the fourth part. That's exactly my point. The werewolf situation is already ful of shit. Voldemort is pro pureblood. Pureblood ideals have werewolves killed, restrained or far far away. Why should Fenrir support Voldemort, again, unless it's only because of the "please don't kill me today" variaty.

Then again, if Fenrir was for werewolf pride, serving voldemort would be a step back. If he doesn't care about pride - we get our canon Fenrir.

P.s sorry for the spelling, phone, will edit when/if there's time

---------- Post automerged at 01:53 ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 ----------

Thats kind of the point - if you start explaining a drop of magic with technology, you have two ways - have a scientific explanation for one thing and have it look really foolish among other explanations ('it was obviously because the wand has the same core' vs 'the spell reboubded from the mirror, because it was a light of frequency 220hz') or move onto technomagic, and I don't really see the benefit of that.

2. Ardent Warrior Poet

Ardent Warrior Poet Squib

(AWP, at least you mostly make sense - there is still hope. ;))

Lol, thanks, I guess. But yeah, I have a lot to think about tonight at the club --- I'm a college student by day and a bouncer at a strip-club by night. WoD was a really good in helping me flesh out concepts but what really struck me was an idea to use Hircine and the Bloodmoon prophecy (from TES: Morrowind and Battlespire) as the ultimate goal for Greyback. I mean, its the endgame I wanted to slowly build up to, hence the reason for going all 7 years. And it would kinda throw a wrench in Voldemort's works to have all his plans go kapput when Greyback initiates his own goals and calls down a veritable "Diety for Werewolves."

Plus, Harry Potter and the Hounds of Hircine had a really nice ring as a title.

However, in the end, Averis and Cadence had the better idea. The simpler the plot foundation, the better the story.

I'm going to look in on your story, too. Thanks for the help!

3. Cadence

Cadence First Year

(I could swear I had posted a reply already. I must have accidentally closed the tab before submitting it, or something.)

Nauro: I haven't read your story yet, but I will in the future.

I had thought about this specific scenario before, so we must have reached the same conclusions by thinking on how it would unfold logically.

AWP: You might not be able to get away with portraying Fenrir as a proud leader with his own code of honor, but who's to say that you can't develop Harry that way instead, and make him a foil against both Fenrir and Remus?

Against Remus, by having Harry eventually accept his condition and not letting it rule over his life, and against Fenrir, by deciding not to let go of his own self-control, and by trying to genuinely make the best of his condition by helping others like him, and, maybe eventually becoming a leader of sorts to other werewolves as he grows older and matures?

His reputation as The-Boy-Who-Lived might be tarnished by his becoming a werewolf, but it might have some allure to other werewolves in that respect.

4. Ardent Warrior Poet

I am beginning to realize that I am going to need a beta-writer for this. Lol, any takers?

5. Cadence

Cadence First Year

Post in the Work By Author forums. What best beta than the DLP community?

Also, good on you for asking for criticism! A second opinion is always good for creative endeavors, but here you have the opportunity to get a third, and fourth, and a fifth, etc. opinion too.

6. Ardent Warrior Poet

Thanks again! Not bad for my first thread on DLP. I'll keep you on the list of people to thank when I post this story.

7. Cadence

Cadence First Year

Good luck with your story. I hope that you come away with something that genuinely makes you proud and becomes well liked.

8. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

You know, it's actually pretty sad how Twilight absolutely ruined Werewolves and Vampires. As soon any story - and I'm not only talking about fanfiction here - utilizes them people instantly jump to the conclusion that the author is trying to join the Twilight-hype-bandwagon. I do it myself.

And I actually used to like stories that incorporated them when I was younger.

Anyway, on topic:

I think a Werewolf!Harry would be a very interesting premise for a darker story. Harry would have to deal with not only his fame but the prejudice and outright hatred of the general population on top of that. Especially confronted with older, more experienced werewolves that have to face this bigotry on a daily basis, how the sheer hopelessness of their situation leaves joining Voldemort as the only option available to them. Enter Harry, stage left.

Conveying this in a believable way without drifting off into Angst would be pretty difficult, though.

And I repeat what others already said or implied: Don't write a story that covers all 7 years. You won't finish it. I'm not trying to be discouraging, but you could probably count the number of authors that finished a complete rewrite of all years that is actually readable on two hands.

9. Ardent Warrior Poet

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the input!

10. syed

syed Supermod

Have you considered the different types of werewolves? Each will have a unique effect and consequences. Have you considered the Vampire Diaries werewolf? It is a curse inherited by bloodline, that only activates if the person feels responsible for the death of another. After cedric is dead, perfect time for him to activate and change. These werewolves bites kill vampires, but vampires were made after wolves so my guess is that their bites kill the unnatural or creatures not of the balance.
    I liked your idea about using forsaken wolf, what if Harry is bitten by a cursed but it awakens his unique heritage. The forsaken wolves create powerful items by making deals and binding them to it, so it would explain the deathly hollows. A forsaken wolf would be able to bind ghosts and horocrux. creating fetishes to aid him. Also Dementors would be seen as geist.

There are four factors bound to harry that would affect the wolf curse:
    -Horocrux
    -blood wards
    -Basilisk Venom
    -Phoenix tears.

I just read this oneshot on fanfiction. Harry was bit when he was nine about, but this curse had to deal with his curse scar, as well as Privet Drive blood protections. He gets a strange reading when tested as a were, or animagus. He can shift at will, unaffected by the moon, silver only causes a slight rash, and it is unknown if he can infect others.
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8106168/1/

Werewolf teeth and claws create curse scars, so what would happen to dark creatures like dementors and horocrux. Would the curse be affected by the basilisk venom and phoenix tears in his blood? When ever he can transform in to an animal it seems like it can reaaly hurt monsters.

Greyback has nothing good about him, so him having anything to do with harry is a bad idea, but could make a great enemy. If you wait for him to be bitten, then he could have the Phoenix tears and basilisk venom to protect him from the curse and deal with his attacker.

Has there ever been a story where the werewolf curse has been deliberatly spread by the good guys to grant others its powers? The wizarding world is very insular, so if Harry inherited this bloodline there may be others.

11. Cadence

Cadence First Year

Those aren't bad ideas, but, personally, at least, I would hesitate to use them for a Harry Potter story. It would be difficult to reconcile the type of lycanthropy you described with the canon lycanthropy of the Harry Potter books in a way that works well and that doesn't distract from the rest of the story.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would need a great deal of skill to pull it off, and for the kind of story that the OP wants to write, it's probably best to stick to a more basic premise and let the resulting plot and characterization stand out more.

The question of how the curse would react to the horcrux is an interesting one, but, again, personal preference here, I would leave out the basilisk poison and Fawkes's tears, as I think those two cancelled each other out without lasting effects, and I don't remember there being anything in the books contradicting that impression I have. (Not that exploring what possible effects the tears and the poison could have had on Harry would be a bad fanfiction idea, but it's generally a good idea not to mix too many of these ideas in one story, so that you can focus on developing well each idea.)

Also, that story you linked to was a one-shot. It's easier to explore those kinds of ideas in one-shots because you don't have to keep track of a multitude of plot-points, and the character developments, pacing, etc. is more limited in those. (As compared to multi-chaptered stories. There are exceptions, of course, but I'm talking generally.) The OP wanted to write a multi-chaptered story.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  12. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Surprisingly, among over the top syed speculation, there was a link to a fic that was, apparently, posted yesterday. It does make the top three for werewolf Harry, but doesn't look up to the usuall DobbyElfLord standarts.

What else, yeah, twilight did ruin lot's of stuff. I think the last bigger city game for VtM had a few people who became interested because of the book, and we were very carefully looking at them via trial period.
    The best part was edward poster where some girl had replaced bella with her photo. Everyone laughed so much at (and that was while trying to be mostly polite) that we made her very nervous. ;)

On the other hand it ruined a view on vampires by the public, but left it mostly the same where it matters most.

(Funnily enough, tne good movies or books on the subjects now usually come with a comment about how they are unlike twilight.)

p.s. Tags are :D

Last edited: May 12, 2012