1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Need suggestions for good offline games

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Dnar Semaj, May 29, 2013.

1. Dnar Semaj

Dnar Semaj Seventh Year

I recently moved to Nantucket for the summer to work at a Farm full time. I brought my Xbox 360 with me and both Black Ops and Black Ops II. Problem is, I can't get good internet at all. I would love some suggestions on good games that don't require internet. I already beat Black Ops campaign on veteran and I'm halfway through Black Ops II campaign on veteran as well.

I can afford to spend 200-ish dollars on games. There isn't really a game store around here but I'm not so rural that Amazon can't deliver to my house. I would love your suggestions.

2. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What have you played and what are you looking for?

I'd suggest Red Dead Redemption no matter what. Maybe you'd like Mass Effect if you haven't played that yet. There's Halo, if you're more into FPS games.

Also, there's personal taste and then there's COD. Just saying, it's like the lowest rung of game you can get besides shit like Angry Birds.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  3. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not repetitive greed motivated shooters, for starters. Mass Effect series, crackdown, dragon age 1, batman arkham, saints row series, fable 1, red dead redemption.....huge amount of choices out there.

4. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

Bioshock 1 and Bioshock Infinite

5. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Neverwinter Nights is really long, so if you want an RPG you could play that, or get Diablo 2 with a bunch of mods. Warhammer 40k games are good too but they are RTS. If you want FPS then CS:CZ or SWAT, they are fun to play.

6. Dnar Semaj

Dnar Semaj Seventh Year

I have played Dues Ex Human Revolution, Bioshock 1 and 2 (including Mirandas Den), Portal, and spent like 150 dollars worth of quarters over the past 5 years playing gmaes at the arcade

Looked up Red Dead Redemption, looks good. Halo I wouldn't want to get if I don't have good internet, I feel like I would be neglecting a huge part of the game and that would bother me.

Ha, yeah. I mostly just play it with friends. Multiplayer isn't really fun otherwise. I do think the campaigns are entertaining.

Batman Arkham Asylum looks good. People did really talk up Saints Row, I'll check it out.

Why not Bioshock 2? I liked Bioshock 2.

I thought Warhammer 40k was like Dungeons and Dragons. It's not a dice game? I'll check it out.

Thanks so much for your input everyone, I think I've got a great place to start.

7. Red Aviary

High Score:
    Meh. I for one will take a good singleplayer experience over multiplayer any day. Multiplayer is hugely overrated. Not to say that I don't ever indulge in it, but there's way to much focus on it these days. I suggest you reconsider, I thought Halo's singleplayer was really good.

It's a tabletop RPG, but they've adapted the setting into video games like the Dawn of War RTS games and the Space Marine third-person shooter.

8. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

I'd recommend Dark Souls if you're in to RPG. It's a pretty decent time-sink though you might rage at the amount of times you die in the game. Either than that, there's always Skyrim or the Assassin's Creed series.

Edit: Oh and you might as well get Demon Souls as well. It's the game that Dark Souls was built from with near similar levels of difficulty.

9. Red Aviary

High Score:
    Demon's Souls is a PS3 exclusive.

10. disturbed27

disturbed27 Professor

I would definitely second Skyrim, Dragon Age: Origins (Don't get two. It's awful. EA fucked it over.) and the Assassins Creed series (starting with II. I is eh.). Skyrim alone will suck up a lot of your time. That game is crack.

Someone said Fable one, but I don't know if you can play that on the 360. I would recommend getting Fable two though, first game I played on the 360 and still one of my favorites.

11. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fable 1 is backwards compatible, and by far the best in the series IMO.

12. Dnar Semaj

Dnar Semaj Seventh Year

So far the consensus is

Red Dead Redemption
    Assassin's Creed but only II and III
    Skyrim
    Fable
    Bioshock Infinite
    Warhammer 40k
    Batman Arkham Asylum

As soon as my first paycheck comes through (fucking two week delay) I'm definitely buying a few of these.

13. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Warhammer and Warhammer 40k has a good series of books too, if you are interested :p

14. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

Skyrim, Red Dead Redemption, and Mass Effect games are all essentials. They'll entertain you for months.

15. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

16. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

1 and Infinite were better. Not saying 2 was bad, just not as good. Lesser of two goods.

But yea, PC Master Race and all that

17. Red Aviary

High Score:
    The first Assassin's Creed is good, and you're going to want to play it to know what the hell is going on in the next games.

There's also this if you're willing to save up around $1,000. Though I'd suggest keeping the Xbox. There are some console exclusive games that are still worth playing, like Halo and Red Dead. Being an idort is the true master race.

(Yes, I know Halo 1 and 2 are for the PC as well, but 3, ODST, Reach and 4 aren't. I think it's better to have the series on one platform rather than jumping from PC to Xbox partway through the series).

18. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

Personally, I think it's worth having an Xbox 360 or PS3 just for Red Dead Redemption. I'm a bit of a Western fan, but really, it's an awesome game. Shame that it never got released on PC.

19. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Buy the Saints Row series, 1, 2 and 3. I cannot stress enough how much fun these games are. In my opinion they easily kick the living shit out of GTA. A random mission in SR3 is you driving down the roads of suburbs in a convertible at over a hundred miles an hour having a fist fight with a tiger while animal activist groups chase you and shoot at you with rocket launchers. The series is pure batshit insanity fun through and through.

20. A Lightning

A Lightning Seventh Year

The only games that I would personally recommend that haven't already been mentioned are Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIII-2. Entirely offline and I got a good 80+ hours of enjoyment out of both combined. You can get more if you're a completionist.