1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New Plot

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Void Sorcerer, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Void Sorcerer

Void Sorcerer Groundskeeper

I have had this plot idea stuck in my head now for awhile, and I know I am no where near good enough to write anything like it, so perhaps someone else would like to take a shot? (If it is good enough of course)

-------------
    Harry has gone to Hogwarts for years now, hearing how Dumbledore is good and the Dark Arts are bad. But what happens when Harry discovers a secret that has long been kept hidden in the past?

What if he has discovered why it is that Dumbledore was(is) so feared, and that everything he has learned in the past years was wrong. What would happen if his world was thrown upside down, when he realizes that the Dark Arts are not what they seem? What happens when he realized that it is instead the "Light Arts" which everyone should fear?

What would happen, when in the begging, there had been no line to separate good and evil magic? What would happen when it is discovered that just like Voldemort says, there is only power and those too weak to seek it?

What will Harry do when he realizes, that the Dark Arts instead of being the most powerful, and deadly of magics, like he has learned, are in all actuality nothing compared to the light? What will he do when he realized that instead of just being capable of healing and defence like they had always been taught, the light magic is instead capable of shaking the very foundations of the earth?

The struggle between good and evil has been flipped upside down, when Harry realizes that he should not be trying to eliminate what he though was evil; but should instead join them in a conquest to win freedom and justice!

What will Harry do when he realizes now what had been hidden from them all? What will Harry do, when he realizes that Voldemort has been right all along, and needs his help?

Will he join forces with his most hated enemy and attempt to overcome their differences? Or will he stay fighting for the light, enslaving the nation to its so called "Goodness"?
    -------------
    This idea has been running through my head for a long time, after considering the fact, that we have no idea what Dumbledore was actually capable of. The only thing we ever see, apart from the little duel between Voldemort and him is the fact that he vanquished Grindelwald.

What if in all actuality the light was indeed stronger then the dark, and it was the dark who needed the aid, not the light in order to regain something. Wither it be freedom, or something else.

I am thinking that this would probably take place after OotP, as you could use Harry's anger at Dumbledore as means to justify him snooping around, looking for secrets about the old coot.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  2. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Interesting idea, though a tad confusing. Try writing the first chapter or an example of what it might be, just to give us all an idea of that.

3. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I really don't think you can portrey Voldemort as a good guy. He's not. There are good and evil. Maybe not good and evil magic, but right and wrong do exist. And Voldemort is a murderer of babies. That's wrong.

4. Void Sorcerer

I suppose you can say that Voldemort couldn't be considered "good". But then again by that standard, couldn't you also say there is "Good, Bad, and then Evil"? While Voldemort could be considered "Bad" the light on the other hand is the "Evil" one?

As for writing the first chapter, I don't know if I can, I'm really not that good. (Want proof check my story)

5. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

This description is pretty messed up. Is Harry joining Voldemort because he's sorry for the poor underpowered dark magic user, or because he agrees with his views?

But anyway, from what I gather, the point is: dark magic = bad but tolerable. light magic = too dangerous for mortal men...

The question is, so what? Why would Harry want to join Voldemort, if the guy's using weaker branch of magic? Wouldn't he want to dig himself up deeper into the old man's ass and get the feel of the real power? If dark magic doesn't mean evil, why would light magic mean anything too?

And if you don't do the switch of Harry's loyalties, you'll just end up with ANOTHER fic where power of love overpowers the eviiil dark arts in the end and saves the day...

In other words, pretty unfeasable idea.

6. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Yeah, I have to agree with IP82. The idea is interesting, but there's no way to do it, IMO.

I mean, it'd be nice to see this done properly, but it's not gonna happen. To do it, the characters would have to be ridiculously OOC...incoming Muggleborn kids would have to warp into earth-shaking-power-weilding-monsters and while Dumbledore can be shown as evil, it's pretty hard to make other characters like the Weasleys, etc seem so evil.

Plus then you've got the fact that there's NO evidence whatsoever to suggest that in canon. The most powerful light spell we've seen pushes Dementors away (I intentionally leave out the Ministry Battle because we don't know what those spells were), which can only be a good thing. Yet the most powerful dark spells torture, control and kill people.

Its simply too hard, and I think the hardest part would be getting through the mindsets of the readers, Void Sorceror. The readers are already used to and believe that dark magic is bad and light magic is good, and the weilders of the respective magics correspond to the evilness or goodness of the magic in their nature. To flip that around might get you flames from a few morons, and a whole bunch of questions from others going 'dude, did you even read the book?'

Its really not worth the effort trying to build this up, it'd take far too much explanation.

7. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

When I said good, I meant Good. As in the opposite of evil. While it is feasable to draw Dumbledore evil, Voldemort cannot, in any way, be any better. He has murdered countless innocent people and takes joy in the torture of even his closest followers. He is a bad guy.

8. Void Sorcerer

Yes, but is it not possible to believe that he is fighting for the right side, and his methods are just a wee bit harsh? I mean, look at all the independent stories that we have. Most of the have Harry fighting for the good side, but in a lot of fanfics he is willing to use the "Dark Arts" in order to fight. (Fight fire with fire) what is the difference between him and Voldemort on this level? I mean, you could honestly say, that Voldemort is fighting for the right cause, but his methods are just a wee bit harsh. And besides, I don't recall in the books it ever saying that Voldemort actually enjoyed torturing people. (Correct me if I am wrong) Perhaps it is something he has to do in order to keep his servants in line? After all, one isn't likely to make a lot of mistakes if the penalty is a slow and painful death.

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't think it could be pulled off realistically. I mean, Dumbledore can be the evil, manipulative bastard but Voldie is as sick as they come. Even if you don't ignore HBP (wherein he is seen as a sick and evil bastard at age 11) there is tons of proof.

1) He possessed Quirrel and left him for dead once he was injured.
    2) He tried to attain immortality (does that not scream Supervillain to you?)
    3) He killed a girl in his second year with a basilisk! A basilisk I tell you!
    4) He possessed a young slu... girl in order to petrify or kill muggleborn students with the basilisk.
    5) Chopping your servant's hand off and taking the blood of your enemy is not in the list of Good Books.
    6) He sent visions of torturing Sirius to an easily led young boy to try and get him to the Ministry in a round about way, to steal a prophecy about his one weakness.

Well my bus is due soon so see you all later. (6.40am man...:()

10. Haunted Warrior

Haunted Warrior Fifth Year

Remember your facts. I'm pretty sure the memory showed Tom as a prefect, and he began asking Slughorn about Hocruxes in 5th-6th year. I think, but I can't remember exactly.

Anyway, to portay Voldemort as a good guy is plain craziness. He's evil, down right evil. As for Dumbledore, it's understandable making him evil. Every road to hell is paved with good intentions, after all

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  11. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

No, it's not. He is out for power. To say that he is not is to say that he is not the Dark Lord Voldemort. The only point you could argue is that by persuing his goals, he is also helping to topple a manipulative control freak overlord. And since he deffinately plans to replace that overlord, then it doesn't do him much credit.

12. Nagini

Nagini Backtraced

That sounds really fantastic! Are you going to write the fic yourself?

13. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Umm, read the thread, he said probably not.

It's the most original idea I've seen in quite some time. I tihnk if you changed a couple tihngs it could work.

More like not Harry joining voldemort but creating his own faction but not nessecarily hostile towards him, Voldemort isn't fighting for the Dark, he's fighting for himself.

14. Void Sorcerer

Well, we'll see if I can manage to find some free time perhaps to write at least a begging chapter for it, so that we can see if it might turn out even a little original.

15. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sorry! I got mixed up in the storyline. I meant 5th year but it was mentioned in Harry's second year. You can see where I went wrong here, right?

16. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

I'd read this if you wrote it, and like IP said a few posts upwards, it's a tad confusing.

The good and light and darkness terminology and feel of the idea reminds me of 'Nightwatch'.

17. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

If light magic is more powerful and dangerous, why not learn that?

18. Void Sorcerer

Well of course if it is going to be more powerful, then it has got to have a downside. Now my problem is, I have to think of one that would make the story look original but at the same time not make it look like a piece of shit. Perhaps you oh so wonderful members could contribute a few of your ideas?

This was my first idea, though I don't know if anyone apart from me would like it. (It really is pretty cheesy)

The reason light magic is so much stronger then dark, is because it does the opposite. Dark Magic the user takes magic from outside his body, such as a victim or such, and channels that magic into his body. Thus creating bigger magical channels, and enabling him to use more energy when casting spells and the such. But this has to downside of supposedly "corrupting" the caster, and causing him to do beyond "evil" acts.

The reason that Light Magic is stronger however, is because it uses the bodies own life energy. What if in actuality, Dumbledore was only 50-60 years old? (Or however long ago it was that Tom was in school. You can say that he started working for Hogwarts, a year or two before Tom came) And that the reason his body is so old, is because of his constant use of Light Magic, first as an apprentice under Flamel, and in his private studies to be the best.

This could also explain, why he is able to move with such grace, that an old man surely would not be able to possess even if he is a wizard. Because even though he looks ancient, his outside appearance mocks his inner energy but because of his body being so weak, he can't do as much as he normally would be able to do, but still more then an old man. As such, because he is a wizard who have a long life span of whatever it is. 200-300 years? He still has quite a bit of time.

I was thinking, in order to go along with it. Perhaps there never was a prophesy, and Dumbledore made the entire thing up. Believing, that if he was able to train a hero long enough, he would be able to finish off Voldemort while not wasting his own life/powers on him.

Well there is my idea, don't laugh to badly. Anyone else think of something?