1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Non-SoC Pokemon fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Thaumologist, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Wyatt Axford

Wyatt Axford Second Year

2. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Gonna use this thread as a springboard since the premise holds good... And please give us more non canon station fics, lads!

Anyway!! How do y'all prefer the legendary pokemon in your fanfiction?

Should they be forces of nature? Beings that transcend the mortal idea of nature and merely are? Should they just be abnormally powerful pokemon? Should you be able to capture one with a Master Ball, assuming it exists in your story? Would the defeat, capture, and/or both have ramifications to the rest of the environment, or, the rest of reality, say if you captured Dialga or Palkia? Does Yveltal really hold sway over death? Does Xerneas affect life? What in the abnormal-Arceus is Mewtwo? To connect, what is Arceus? Did he make Mew or did Mew spawn Arceus?

This all goes full circle. How do you prefer the mythical and legendary Pokemon? Some stories like the Game of Champions have Mew as a myth. Arceus as a myth. Mewtwo as an actual entity. Traveler has the legendary pokemon as nigh-immortal beings - Pokemonical Representations of physical concepts: fire. ice. lightning. land. sea. death. life. space. time. outside, etc. What you got DLP?

3. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

I prefer them as mythical, almost abstract, forces of nature. Implausible, yet almost undeniable proof of their existence. Rare events or phenomena attributable to their legends, yet natural enough it's not obviously so.

Stories in which they're tamed, or captured, is inevitably either underwhelming or a curbstomp protagonist wankfest.

4. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Much like Myduraz, I prefer legendaries as being forces of nature, untamable aspects of the world.

However, I also like the idea of there being two 'strains'. There's Articuno, which is the divine embodiment of [WINTER], and articuno, which is an Ice/Flying type pokemon. Maybe the Legendary is shaped by belief that it's an exceptionally powerful member of the species, or maybe the species is caused by a watering down of the Legend, such as hatching a pidgey on Midwinter, or by re-animating the dead based on an Aspect.

I'm willing to accept a powerful trainer can catch a legend, but then the power of them needs bringing down - a 12 year old carrying around the literal embodiment of [EARTH] should, perhaps, cause things to destabilise a little. Like most things, it's not going to, by itself, cause me to drop a fic if I think it could have been handled better. But at the same time, it can add weight to something I don't really want to keep going with.

Onto new recs - I Thought This Was a Mystery Dungeon
    SV fic which has recently started updating again after a two year hiatus. An "SI" wakes up in the body of a re-animated Tyrunt, and joins Ash and co. They have memories of being human, but don't seem massively troubled over now being an animal, and manage to mostly make themselves understood.

I've not read it with the intent of putting it up for review, so can't say how good it is, but I'm enjoying the story, especially as I didn't watch the show past Johto, so have little knowledge of any escapades going on. The author posts a LOT though, and some of the snippets are extras, some are responses, so you might want to skip through threadmarks after each chapter update, to see if you've missed anything.

5. Silveron

Silveron First Year

High Score:
    I'm sure anyone who's interested in this thread already has alerts on, however Traveler (Ch.54) has just had a new update and I figured I'd bring it back into the spotlight.

On that note, has anyone come across any noteworthy fics to pick up?

6. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Seems like whenever Traveller updates, Xion updates the Champion (Traveller preview) review thread instead. Presumably because the OP has links to both Champion and Traveler in it.

7. Silveron

Silveron First Year

High Score:
    So it does, thanks dude