1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official Recommendation Thread: Anime

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Orm Embar, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I watched the first two episodes of Madoka Magica. Hm. Usually this sort of thing isn't, well, my thing, but those trippy Terry Gillliam-on-crack parts are awesome and all the recommendations seem to point to good things later on. So I'll stick with it.

2. Qilin

Qilin Fourth Year

Sarah Palin's backyard, possibly with a shotgun.
    Rather than recommend a bunch of shows that are already in this list, I figured that I would just mention one that isn't.

Shikabane Hime (Corpse Princess)

A friend introduced me to this anime some time in 2009 and I ended up watching it between my classes. I watched the entire series at that time subbed on Hulu. I checked Hulu today; it still has the first four episodes but with a choice of either subbed or dubbed.

It looks like the manga is ongoing, but as I haven't read it, I'm not quite sure how much the anime differs.

The anime is currently two seasons long, each is thirteen episodes.

Wikipedia says this:
    I thought it was a pretty interesting series; twisted and dark at some points.

3. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

To bring it down to the core: Shikabane Hime is a contemporary actiondrama with a female zombie dressed as a school girl and wielding a pair of Uzis.

While I liked the first season quite a lot, I wasn't as much impressed by the second. Concerning the quality I compare it with "Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni" - the second season is supposed to explain the first but isn't drafted that well.

The story is focussed on the action but also spends some time on developing the characters. The first season starts with the "one monster per day" scheme to introduce the characters, but the plot soon evolves. Over the span of the season the male main character, Kagami Ouri, is slowly drawn into the world of the Shikabane and the Kougon sect.

The second season deals with the background of the sect and the Shikabane. In the end the main twist revealed halfway through or near the end of the second season is a huge plothole. Perhaps it was intended to produce a third installment.

Both seasons fulfill the rule: The larger the boobs => the worse the plot. While the first season is focussed on the Shikabane Hime Hoshimura Makina (the girl is almost flat chested) - the second season introduces way too many fanservice archetypes.

4. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

Yeah it was easily the best show of last season. A really fantastic effort by SHAFT

5. Qilin

Qilin Fourth Year

Sarah Palin's backyard, possibly with a shotgun.
    Yeah, I can agree with that. The ending to the second part leaves it pretty open; in such a way that I expected they would make another season. Season 1 was best. I found the episodes in season 2 that explained the cat to be entertaining though.

6. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

[​IMG]

/filler

7. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Finally, something I can believe in! That Jesus guy is overrated compared to Madoka.

8. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

I haven't read this full thread, so apologies if these have been mentioned before. Also, in case anyone wants my full list of ratings, these are the animes I've watched and their ratings.

Black Heaven is a must see. The dub is almost better than the original, too. It's about a race of aliens that are weak to Rock music, and a washed up rock star who has to assemble his band for one final show.

Eden of the East is a modern day mystery. Some characters are given cell phones loaded with a credit of a billion (?) yen, the instruction to "make Japan better" and a mysterious voice answering any request they have. If they fail they're killed.

9. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Holy shit Madoka :awesome

A few issues though.

The way they portrayed Homura going through time... well, it makes it seem like she's been doing this for years. But if the series takes place over the course of a month, then really she's not even been doing it for a year (five times, a month each). Sure, even that is sure to wear on you, but I think it would've been better if she'd been doing it for longer. Like Harry in The Wastelands of Time. Not necessarily more trips back, but the events should span over a longer timeframe.

The aliens and entropy thing. I don't mind the "prevent the heat death of the universe" thing, but I think I would've liked it better if they'd went with a more magic-oriented explanation behind Kyuubey. Make him a Fae or something, not an alien.

Magic. Do they suddenly gain mastery over their powers as soon as they become Puella Magi? No training needed or anything?

I'm a little confused over the mechanics of the new universe Madoka made at the end. That's more an issue with me though, I suppose. I'll have to watch it again.

And finally, needed more Madoka/Homura. ;)

I think some of those stem from it being a short series. It would've been better if it were ~20 or so episodes instead of 12. Still, great show.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  10. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The series started with several great episodes and then it slowly went downhill. The first movie was meh, and the final movie was boring as hell without much conflict, just talking.

11. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

re: the problem with Homura, the way I interpreted it...
    We only saw a few of the times Homura went back, but she actually repeated things way more than 5 times. Much like in Wastelands of Time, where we only see a couple of the times and it's only revealed later on just how long Harry's been at it.
    But I could be wrong about that and it's just a suspension of disbelief thing.

12. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

It's not been said exactly how long Homura's been time traveling, but it's heavily implied it's been enough that she's lost count.

I really want a Wastelands/Madoka crossover oneshot with Harry crossing paths with Homura. You know, just for kicks. :awesome

13. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Hm, got a few good recs that I haven't heard of before, though mostly the thread's full of old and well-known "classic"s. Also, this thread and another at someplace else has convinced me to take up FLCL and Serial Experiments Lain, finally.

I've recently been following an anime called C: The Money of the Soul and Possibility Control (apparently the title's been changed around a bit, so not completely certain), have watched 3 subbed episodes so far and it's... interesting. A new variation for me (apparently because I have never watched Yu Yu Hakusho, but eh). And the main character is nothing like Ichigo in Bleach, without going into Shinji of NGE territory - well-balanced.

I'm downloading Basilisk and Mushi-shi, so that's my next two weeks gone. I'm also streaming an old anime called Chrome Shelled Regios (I read the first 2-3 light novels and liked the setting), and it's not bad (though there're some scenes in native English in there that I wish were silent instead). Also waiting for TCL's BR-Rip of Soul Eater to download. Most recently I watched a show called The Sacred Blacksmith and it was... meh.

To conclude: CHINESE ELECTRIC BATMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

Darker Than Black. So awesome. T_T

P.S. No mention of Beelzebub (granted the manga is like 10x better, but still the anime is quite funny!)? Also, has any of the Roberta's Blood Trail episodes been English dubbed yet? Black Lagoon is one of the few shows better in the English dub.

P.P.S. Wait wait wait. I don't remember if anybody's recc'd Baccano! yet, written by the same people who wrote the Durarara!!! light novels and set in the same universe some decades back - and utter and completely badass. Without doubt deserves to be in any top anime list I'll ever compile.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  14. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I don't see any recs for The Girl Who Leapt Through Time in this thread (apologies if I missed it--I did a search too and got nothing). It's one of my favorite anime flicks, and possibly the only time travel movie I've ever really enjoyed.

15. Pomegranate

Pomegranate Second Year

This is a new series: Ao no Exorcist (Blue Exorcist)
    "Humans live in the world of Assiah, demons in Gehenna. The two dimensions are not meant to interfere with each other, but demons still possess creatures in Assiah in spite of this. The humans who can fight these demons are known as exorcists. Rin Okumura is a boy who bears the curse of being Satan's illegitimate son. His foster father sacrificed himself to save him from demons. To avenge his foster father's death as well as to prove himself, Rin decides to follow the path of an exorcist."

16. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

Honestly, not a fan, though I feel I should mention my distaste for shonen in general. I'm pretty much predisposed to dislike anything published by Jump.

At first it had me somewhat interested, but I had misgivings about the Blue Cross Academy right from the get go, and soon enough we find out that he is to attend. High school settings in shonen are about as likely to make me quit as "Harry Hufflepuff Ravenclaw Gryffindor Slytherin Black Potter."

As for the rest of the season, I'm only really following three shows:

Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko is a cute little time waster of a comedy, as is the case for most "Slice of Life" shows. Not much to be said for it other than that the Opening and Ending may cause large amounts of DAWW. If you're into this kind of show, I'd say it's a fairly good example of the genre and you should check it out.

Hana-Saku Iroha is another slice of life, but definitely more drama than comedy, yet still full of what I'd call cutesie antics. I actually haven't seen anything past episode three, since I haven't taken the time to sit down and watch it, but the art and character designs are pretty much gorgeous. Aside from that, the characters themselves are pretty interesting, which is sadly quite rare in anime. I think anyone interested in anime for the art especially should definitely give this one a try.

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai is, above all else, way too long a fucking name. But right below that, I'd say it's a God damn masterpiece. Once again, another slice of life piece, most certainly a drama, and with a distinctly bittersweet taste to it. Everything about it just feels especially high quality, from the voice acting to the art to the opening and ending.

I've particularly enjoyed the voice actress playing Naruko Anjou; she just seems to make the character feel genuine (coincidentally, she also happens to be my favorite character.)

Other than that, I've only been watching Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai II, though I didn't feel the need to give it a write up, due to it being a second season. Deadman Wonderland seemed interesting, though the art style bugs me a lot. Ditto for The Money of Soul and Possibility of Control.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  17. Pomegranate

Pomegranate Second Year

I'm enjoying Ao no Exorcist, mostly because the art is pretty and the characters are funny. It kind of reminds me of the way Naruto was at the beginning (interesting because it was a new idea, but if you actually think about it, kind of dull).

You mentioned Deadman Wonderland: The main character is falsely accused of homicide, and ends up in a privately owned prison ("amusement park" for tourists). He, along with a large number of other death row inmates, possess an ability called the "Branches of Sin", which allow them to use their blood as weapons. It has some gory parts. This is decent but not amazing.

I think I'll try Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai, if you think so much of it :) Slice of life can end up really boring, so I usually stay away.

18. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

Yeah, I usually feel much the same way with slice of life. For the most part, they're the kind of show that has to be watched once a week, and not in a single sitting, or else you just get sick of it.

I'd say that Ano Hi Mita is different, with the plot being very central to the show, rather than it simply being practically unrelated episodes exploring the characters.

19. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

The best of the season for me so far is Steinz Gate hands down. I like the way they are handling time travel, and despite the relatively slow moving plot, one of the first things I check at the end of the week is to see if the next episode is out. Okarin is a fucking bawse.

Denpa Onna, Ao no Exorcist, and Hanasaku Iroha are also some shows that I'm following this season, although I'm not quite as enthusiastic with them as I am Steinz Gate.

20. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

The only show I'm following this season is Dororon Enma-kun Mera Mera, mostly cause I'm a sucker for any Go Nagai remake, and I'll watch all the actual good shows when the season's over.