1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official Recommendation Thread: Manga

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Zephyrus, May 24, 2010.

1. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

One I haven't seen mentioned in here is GOSU. It's a finished murim manhwa you can find here: https://readmanganato.com/manga-vy951833

The gist for the setting is that the ultimate master of martial arts was betrayed by his four pupils, and his still-living broken body cast into a pit. Not long after, a young boy stumbles across him and the master spends the next decade training him and turning him into an instrument of vengeance. When the master finally dies, the kid sets out to deliver his master's retribution.

At the very first inn he stops at, however, he learns that all four of his masters betrayers, the targets of his vengeance, killed each other not long after their treason. So there he is, an immensely powerful martial artist, with no purpose.
    ---

The story picks up several years after that, and follows the adventures of the kid as he lives his life. I don't wanna say too much, as there's a few bits early on that would be lessened by knowing too much, so suffice to say there's more going on than is immediately apparent, and it makes for a truly enthralling story.

I give the thing as a whole a solid 4.5/5, and it's one of, if not the best murim/wuxia stories around. Strongly recommend this to everyone.

Also, the author definitely has some kind of deep, abiding hatred of mountains. There's no other possible explanation for how many of them get demolished over the course of the story.

2. Miner

Miner Order Member

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Lots of conflicting thoughts about that.

I think past attempts at similar things show that older fans of the original work consider the continuation fanfiction at best, but with the new work drawing in a new audience that doesn't see the distinction between them. Like Boruto did.

I suppose reception will depend on its quality, but people will always inevitably criticize it, reasonably or not.

4. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

For what it's worth, Mori Koji(the author of Holyland) who's supervising the project was best friends with Miura since they were in school and has said he only intends to cover things Miura left notes on or told him about. I'd read the tribute manga he wrote after Miura died if you haven't, right in the feels man.

5. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Would appreciate a link to that.

As for the continuation.
    I don't like it. It will never be the author's actual vision for the story, as that vision always changes.
    But I am happy for everyone else who will get to enjoy it and have that closure.

6. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock