1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Overwatch

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Nemrut, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

You made some good points!

Last Seasons Rating: 3140
    First Placement match is this season.

1. Positioning; I agree with. A lot of times I'll put myself in a weird position, either away from team or too far forward in an attempt to be aggressive.

This is probably because I'm used to the DPS/Tank role rather than Support, when I normally support I play Ana, so I usually hang back and murder/heal people, rather than getting close like Lucio seems to lean toward.

2. Scoreboard. I tabbed a fair bit during the first half, mainly around my deaths, but also to check ults every now and then. This didn't occur much for the second half admittedly, because I wasn't too concerned with their ability to stop us with how much time we had remaining.

3. Lucio Ult v Genji. I agree that I ult'ed too late there. There was a brief moment of indecision and then I got hooked which delayed it too long, and then my team were split up so I don't think I even got anyone with it.

4. Communication. Yeah, no one was really communicating, amusingly. I plug my headset into the keyboard, and for some reason OW decided that means that I can't hear team chat, though it didn't look like people were talking in this one, funnily enough.

5. Checking enemy/avoiding enemy checks. Good point, I was too focused on remembering how to wall run properly so I didn't consider giving them info to be much of an issue. Re:checking. Also a good point, I need to remember to do that. Only just started playing again, so I've forgotten a bunch of the little things I need to do.

C-C-C-COUNTER REVIEW​

1. Advice. Instead of just pointing out where something was done wrong/could have been done better, it's more optimal to include, in your own opinion, what would have been better to do, providing an option for the future that is summarily better, should similar situations arise. You had a few cases of this throughout, but it would have benefited greatly from a more focused effort in this regard.

2. Prewatch. It might help in the future to do a blindrun and make some points of times of events/things you want to talk about particularly. It'd allow you to get your thoughts in line early on, and allow you to focus more on the commentary, rather than digesting the visual information at the same time.

3. Crayons. I'm not sure how interested you are in going forward with reviewing vidja to commentate, but using a drawing program for OBS/whatever might be worth looking into, to allow you to doodle on top of the video to make a visual point along with your commentary.

Overall you made a lot of good points, and I agree that in that game I was definitely not the major force pushing the game forward. The DPS and D.va definitely carried their weight in that game.

2. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

COUNTER COUNTER copout REVIEW

I wasn't expecting to do any type of review today and I might have pulled an all nighter. Because of that my brain is mush but I'll state this much for now.

While I'm not egotistical enough to even attempt to make it a serious HIGH LEVEL COMMENTARY/REVIEW, I will touch up my commentary for the future. You are the first one to take me up on my offer to look over stuff in Overwatch and I was unprepared.

The tracking issue was embarrassing along with what other issues I did have. It's all fine for watching shows straight through but when I get lost in a straightforward thing like a game? Sadness. At least you gave me a reason to do my best to be a preschooler and get all the crayons up in this joint.

I'll follow this post up once I can think.

3. Jon

All good man, no judgement. [stare]Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.Judgement.[/stare]

4. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

you guys are weird

5. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So I'm seeing almost enough interest for a 6 v 6 but nothing coming of it. Is anyone legitimately in? Not just 'yeah that sounds cool', but 'yeah let's make this happen'.

6. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

I would join any 6v6 assuming I'm not busy with work/sleeping/real life.

7. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Same, really. Not sure if me being in Germany is going to make things easy to coordinate though.

8. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

I keep falling in & out of love with Overwatch.

QP is such a fiesta that it starts to cut through the fun and then I'm left with competitive which speaks for itself.

I kind of tanked my MMR last season by going on something like a 7 game losing streak and just left it where it lay around 2250.

Did my placements today and ended up 6W 3L 1D & got high silver - 1904. Somewhat adrift from my first placements back in S3 where I went 7W 3L & got 2645.

I'm not entirely sure if I'm happy or somewhat concerned as every season my placement's dropped (like it's supposed to, I'm aware how the system works) and I just can't seem to climb back out.

With that said, I don't put 50 hours a week or anything in so I shouldn't be surprised, hell, I'm lucky if I manage 2 hours a week these days. You don't climb without investing time and effort unless you're great, which clearly I'm not - but I just feel the bite to play and I do.

I love the simplicity of the game, it's fun, lighthearted and thanks to investing a couple of hours into Heroes of the Storm again I've finally managed to beat my own... frustration and salt. Sure I get upset when people don't switch or do something stupid but I've come to terms with the fact it's just a game and it's free. If people want to play weird and wonderful things, so be it - who am I to stop them. No point getting wound up , just let it happen.

My gripe is with myself, I can physically see and feel the regression. There are games where I feel like I'm playing out of my mind; but we're still losing. Then there are the far more common games where I just feel like... roadkill. Every sniper shot finds me, every flanker tracks me perfectly or the divers just have a free reign and I end up feeling useless. Voice comms only do so much to help as often people ignore calls anyway. Plus everyone loves a good ult-fest offense that goes nowhere.

And then there's Pharah, the one character of this game I'd happily delete if only because of where I currently reside, she's queen. Just cannot be stopped despite all the hints, tips, tricks and characters. But again is also a personal fault as I don't really play any offense characters, preferring tanks and support.

D'Va and Zarya are my go to's but my Zarya was awful last season and I haven't really looked to pick her back up since, D'va I'm enjoying plenty if only for eating ults. Support wise I like Zen but find myself getting destroyed by flankers and divers, I feel so helpless - I try Ana but frankly my aim leaves a lot to be desired and I should probably just accept I'd be better off learning Mercy and trying to stay out of the way.

This... Turned out a lot longer than I liked and ended up turning into a self gripe and a moan. Fuck. Maybe it's just the silver placement blues kicking in or something. I aplogise.

TLDR; Love/Hate relationship with the game, turned into a rather terrible 'woe is me' post. Having fun but feeling like I'm regressing in every way possible.

9. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pharrah is ridiculous in silver (where I dropped to too in almost the exact same way as you) because people who instant lock dps generally can't aim, and no one calls targets.

Do you gave any idea how quick she dies if even two people are shooting her? People often just think because someone is a soldier, that means they can ignore her because hard counter amirite?

10. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The only time I've had real trouble with a Pharah is when she was pocket Mercy'd and there was a Widow wreaking havoc on our team. Otherwise it's just a case of a hitscan knowing what they're doing.

Granted, I'm not a hitscan that knows what they're doing, but that's what Roadhog's hooks are for.

11. Gengar

High Score:
    Lol, Pharrahs always have a pocket, Mercy and people who are average at best dps instalock dps and don't know what they're doing.

So, rip

12. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

Yeah, Phamercy's made a big come back down here mostly because people don't like to swap and are set in their ways - they can carry if they play xyz and that's how it is.

I don't do the team any favours by not playing hitscans but I try my best with Zen - the only issue is it's difficult to do alone and you eat 2 rockets and you're back staring at the respawn timer. I like Roadhog too, but I find most of the hooks I 'land' on flying targets just happen to be a meter or two short; the worst feeling in the world.

I should just learn Sombra. I can have a blast hacking folks and being annoying, somewhat mobile and at least I can stop Mercy getting away. May not work so well but, it's another option.

In a way though I prefer this to the constant wave of Genji's, funnily enough.

Also as a heads up it's double exp this weekend on all platforms - I'm away and unable to make the most of it but, no reason others can't - and it stacks with group bonus's too!

13. y tho

y tho Squib

High Score:
    Any thoughts on Dafran (NA pro player) being banned for one season and the pro scene?
    He was honestly being an all around asshole. Encouraging people to throw games with him and being false confident that he won't get into trouble.

14. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

So Doomfist is out and his pretty fun. Because of his release there is currently a 6v6 doomfist arcade mode, its pure chaos. Love it.

15. Jon

Doomfist is deceptively weak. If someone sees you with a strong ranged attack while you're charging fist, you're pretty much dead.

16. Krieger

His main attack also puts him out of position, very easy to pick him off. In QP, anyway.

17. Gengar

High Score:
    Should probably have Winston initiating, or just zarya bubble/ d matrix.

18. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

That's only if played by an idiot (So 85% of the player base). A well-played Doomfist that's bouncing around like a hyper-caffeinated squirrel and sowing all kinds of chaos right as his team hits you is all kinds of annoying to deal with. Even more so if there's enough walls around that he can slam people into them.

19. Krieger

His got a surprising amount of mobility once you get use to him, similar to genji. Shit ones will get picked, good ones are a pain in the arse.

20. Gengar

High Score:
    I know he just came out, but play Sombra and dookie on him and have fun :p