1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Paradigm of Uncertainty Series by Lori - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Hadoren, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Hadoren

Hadoren High Inquisitor

Title: The Paradigm of Uncertainty / The Show that Never Ends / The Hero With a Thousand Faces
    Author: Lori
    Rating: M
    Genre: Mystery
    DLP Category: General
    Pairing: H/Hr
    Words: 121,492 / 155,598 / 290,953
    Chapters: 15 / 15 / 13
    Published: July 14, 2001
    Updated: March 31, 2008

- The Paradigm of Uncertainty: Complete
    - The Show that Never Ends: Complete
    - The Hero With a Thousand Faces: Complete (Last Chapter: Summary)
    Summary: Nine years after graduating from Hogwarts, Charms fellow Hermione Granger again finds herself caught up in Harry Potter's mysterious life. / The Sequel to The Paradigm of Uncertainty``January 25, 2008...five months later... / As Harry and Hermione's wedding day approaches, they have to get to the bottom of the mysterious reapparance in their lives of... Ron? For any newcomers who are happening upon this story by accident, don't read it unless you've read the two that came before it, "The Paradigm of Uncertainty" followed by "The Show that Never Ends."
    Link: http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/lori/

A classic fic that I just read - at least the first part.

I'm too lazy to write a long review.

Basically, The Paradigm of Uncertainty is one of those old spy-thriller type stories with masterful suspense. It's post-Voldemort and invents a new villain. Harry's a spy who's fairly powerful, and Hermione finds out after they've been living together for several years. The romance is developed reasonably and slowly. OOCs abound, but they're written very well.

I have no complaints about the story. I give it a 5/5.

Checked by Minion, August 19, 2013
    I labelled the story complete, but the last chapter of the third story is just a summary of the originally planned scenes.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2013
  2. rj_stone2

rj_stone2 Seventh Year

I haven't read the fic yet, so I won't post a full review. The writing style looks good, and the plot sounds interesting. I'm a little concerned about the attention to detail though... from the first paragraph:
    Too bad she never learned a charm to reduce the weight of her bag...

3. The Silent Knight

The Silent Knight Seventh Year

I love these stories, but am extremely annoyed that the last one has never been finished. That said, I probably wouldn't read it if it was. I have become too distanced from the Universe, and I just can't be mothered to re-read them again, something i find happens when I read other great stories.

4/5 from Me.

4. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

The attention to detail is part of what makes this story interesting. This happens to be an old favourite of mine. 5/5

5. saL

saL Second Year

5/5 for writing style and plot and for being one of the few romance stories that don't make me sick
    4/5 because, as said above, it was never finished

6. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

Pretty decent fic if you can push past the AU ness and the OOCness; the romance is nice, and some of the plot twists are pretty decent. Not quite superb, but very well done overall. Characterization stays consistent and the writing level is very nice.

4/5 overall, well worth the time spent reading.

7. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Very good fic. One of the first ones that I read and I still go back and read it from time to time. The plot gets better as the story moves along and it leaves you guessing at times. I found that the way the wizarding world is described is a reasonable way the world should work. The relationships between international wizarding countries is done decently enough.

Overall Rating: 5/5

8. ulkser

ulkser Groundskeeper

an old story i read and liked but didn't post here due to its ship. 4.5/5

9. The Sinner

The Sinner Looked into the void

Somewhere between the heretic and Un'aria
    Wow, I can't believe this series is barely making it onto DLP.

This was one of those first stories I read way back in the day, back when fanfiction was golden and good, and I must say it was a major player in my adoption of the fanfiction lifestyle. Hands down, this story is one of the all-time best. The suspense grips you, the mystery is damned good, and back when all this was new to me, the shipping was done pretty darn good, though today it doesn't quite meet up to my standards.

All in all, I give this a whopping 6/5

10. CaptainG

CaptainG Third Year

I battled my way through the first book, and even though i was going through an H/Hr phase, couldn't bring myself to read the other two. I think it was that it is all centred this idea of Harry being a super spy and for some reason, i just can't see it.

3/5

11. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I just couldnt take it. I liked the beginning of the 1st one. But towards the end when it became mushy and then the idea of Ron coming back. I just couldnt do it anymore.

2/5

12. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

I don't know... I really wanted to like this story. It's written really good, the romance isn't forced or anything, but.... I dunno. A super spy? It just seems to... cliched. Still, pretty good. 4/5

13. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

Is it finished yet? The last time I saw this one it was one the 8th chapter of the 3rd book.
    Anyways, cliche is how a cliche is written.
    5/5 Pretty Ladies for the night.

14. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Alright, pretty cliche indeed at this point in my fanfiction library.. but still an old favorite of mine. The psychic serpant trilogy combined with the paradigm trilogy probably got me into the fandom more than any other fics. These two are probably the ones that caused me to ship H/Hr (despite the cliche nature of it) more than any other.

At this point its a bit outdated, but souly due to the originality factor (at the time) I'd have to rate it a 4/5.

Unfinished and rather drawn out, yes. But given the time period in which the series started, you have to at least give it credit for originatlity.

(The Mage aspect of it has always bothered me, as I've never liked Super-Harry, but the tradecraft side of it has always struck me as realistic compared ot the other spy-like fics out there.)

15. magyareagle

magyareagle Guest

An old fave, a classic when it was written, and pioneered a couple of things that are now cliche. 4/5

16. 10dedfish

10dedfish First Year

Alright, guess Im going to have to check it out. I'll rate it afterwards.
    10ded

17. The Sinner

The Sinner Looked into the void

Somewhere between the heretic and Un'aria
    So how many years have people been waiting for an update?

Two?

Three?

18. eXcalite

eXcalite Seventh Year

Even though some are probably going to flay me for necroing: this has been updated on fictionalley and completed three years ago. Seeing as it is apparently believed to be abandoned I thought I would give you a shout.

/off to re-read the whole story

19. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Na, that's ok. I might actually read it now.

20. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

I'll give it a look, too. And that isn't really necroposting since your post was relevant, eXcalite.