1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

PatronusCharm DLP-theme Logo Competition

Discussion in 'PatronusCharm' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

As Jon is making a DLP theme, it's only fitting that PC needs a DLP themed logo to go with it. The winner will receive donor status at PatronusCharm (once it's ready) and possibly a patronuscharm email address.

Here are the specs:

The current logo is: 610px × 91px, try to keep it close to those dimensions. It can be larger or smaller though, but make it a max of 700x150. However, due to the way the site is built, you'll need to make the right side taper off into a repeatable pattern as so:

[​IMG]

And the pattern used for repeating:

[​IMG]

The colors used most frequently by the DLP theme are:

Black: #000000
    Lighter green background: #21301F
    Dark green background: #0A1C0B
    Green link color: #6A7E67
    Green border: #223B21
    Text: #BAD6C2

Go wild! Post in here with submissions. Winner will be chosen by DLP staff.

PNG is preferred, JPG high-quality will do. GIF is not acceptable.

Yes Jon, you can compete too.

2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

3. Lord Ravenclaw

Epic fail. You sir, lose.

4. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

<_< >_>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. mbond98

mbond98 Seventh Year

Eh.

I have no talent, but I do have boredom and an overabundance of time.

OZ: I would not try and compete with the brilliance that is yours. No one can, really. Made lighter.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  6. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

mbond, it's kinda hard to see the writing (impossible if you're as blind as me). Maybe try making the background a bit lighter? Or use a different colour for the text. Apart from that though, it isn't too bad. *cough* Mine's better! *cough* Jon's is good as well. Too good. >__>

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  7. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

>_>

I got bored and really sucked at making one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Zyloch

Zyloch Fourth Year

Jon, good job; I was thinking of something like that too before I saw yours. Simple and clean are usually better (and better in keeping with "PatronusCharm")

Oz, just try that with a laptop mouse (unless you are using one, then that would explain it).

mbond98, as Oz says, change the text color. Move the font vertically so it isn't on the line. I would recommend experimenting with spacing. It seems too cluttered; you should leave some negative (i.e. blank) space.

Vash, very nice, although I still think Jon's is a little cleaner (what can I say, I'm a sucker for gradients). Love the font, and the crisp sharpness in keeping with the bold griffin. Have you experimented with horizontally reversing the griffin picture? It seems more fitting as the top left corner of a page that way. Also, double check your second image that will be repeated on the right. It seems to be a different color from the main logo, and there doesn't seem to be a gradient.

I am not staff, so I of course cannot vote.

9. Lord Ravenclaw

So far I have to say I like the way Vash's logo stands out. There's no need for a gradient, all I meant by "fade out" is that if there's some kind of recognizable design, it needs to fade into a constant pattern by the end of the logo as to allow for a repeater image.

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Both Jon's and Vash's are good. I think a good idea when judging would be to see which goes best with the rest of the theme, and not just how they look by themselves.

Jon's:

[​IMG]

Vash's:

[​IMG]

11. lucifer

lucifer Fourth Year

Here's mine.
    [​IMG]

And I made a white one to just for the hell of it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  12. Zyloch

Zyloch Fourth Year

Raven, I was only referring to the fact that the second image looks off-color to the first ;) It might just be my eyes. I really do love the griffin, although I suppose I am just a sucker for softer images and colors, but that's just my personal taste.

lucifer, the transition between the clouds and the crisscross pattern in the green one seems too abrupt. In the second, I think the lightning bolt can be positioned a little better. Other than that, it isn't too bad, although I don't know how well the WordArt like curve will fit with the rest of the theme.

13. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Umm. Guys, I see a chimera, not a griffin.

14. lucifer

lucifer Fourth Year

Yeah I thought crossing went to the clouding to abruptly as well...but trust me it was worse then what it is now.

The second one I wasn't even going to leave the lightning bolt there but i forgot about it. As for the word art I don't really know why I did that.

EDIT:also in my opinion vash's logo look way better then jon's

15. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

I don't know... Vash's logo looks nice, but it doesn't seem to blend as well with the rest of the page as Jon's does.

16. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The following four logos are variations based on DLP's logo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As the background is black there is no need for a spacer or it is black itself.

The problem with this logo is that it doesn't look that good on widescreens:
    DLP Theme with Logo

If it is possible to separate its two elements into two pics, displayed at each end of the head, as it is done with DLP, then it looks way better:
    DLP Theme with Logo (2)

EDIT:
    I looked for a font similar to the font used for the DLP-logo. I didn't found anything matching.

17. lucifer

lucifer Fourth Year

Yeah but that just the same as the original only different colors..I guess I just like how the chimera looks..even if it doesn't really have anything to do with the Patronus charm.

18. Zyloch

Zyloch Fourth Year

Of the four, I like the second the best, but I don't see an easy way to incorporate it into the header. By itself, the buck on the right cuts the logo off too abruptly. I think the best arrangement with this logo would be number 1 or 3, and move the buck to the other side as a separate image, with the buck lying below the left part of the logo. If min-width is also used (forget about IE6 or use expressions), it could look nice.

Of the four, I like the second the best, but I don't see an easy way to incorporate it into the header. By itself, the buck on the right cuts the logo off too abruptly. I think the best arrangement with this logo would be number 1 or 3, and move the buck to the other side as a separate image, with the buck lying below the left part of the logo. If min-width is also used (forget about IE6 or use expressions), it could look nice.

I'm sure someone is aught to have a chimera patronus. (oops, I was calling it a gryffin the entire time...)

In any case, everyone needs to remember that we need a place for the link menu at the top also. How would that fit in with the rest of the page and the logos?

19. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

I like the third and fourth banners best, separated.

20. lucifer

lucifer Fourth Year

Here's another one

[​IMG]