1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Personalized Recommendations

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Hey DLP,

Given the vast amount of rating data we have, I've built a system for doing personalized recommendations of story threads based on stories you might like. It works by matching you with people who've rated the same stories as you and finding what they've rated well and you have not rated. It's a typical user-based recommender algorithm. e.g., You like x & y, someone else likes x, y, and z, therefore you might like z. It's a little more complex than that and accounts for your voting bias: if you generally give all good stories 5 stars and shitty ones 4 stars, but someone else gives good stories 4 and bad 2, it'll account for that.

At this stage it's very basic and very early-stage. Please give me feedback -- it's the first machine learning project I've applied to DLP but hopefully not the last. In the future, I'd like to improve the quality of our database such that we could do item-based recommenders: you like x, and y is like x, so you might like y.

Let me know what you think, and tell me if the recommendations are at all good. On average, the algorithm was about .82 stars off actual which is a large error.

https://forums.darklordpotter.net/recommended.php

2. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Time to start actually using those stars. :sherlock:

3. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

Wow. Most of that list contains fics I have already read. Time to go through and star them. This is really interesting to look at! Thank you.

4. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Raven, you give us the nicest things.

5. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

It recommends me anything Nonjon wrote ever and I really don't like humour stories D: Maybe there's just no user like me?

That aside, it seems like a fun thing. There are a few other stories I haven't read yet, so let's see how good this works :p

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Awesome. Glad that in general I've tended to use the rating button on threads.

7. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Pearson correlation? o:

Also, might be an idea to add it to the quick-links drop down.

8. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Is it normal it shows stuff I have rated (which I've read)?

9. Lord Ravenclaw

If you've rated it today I haven't updated the data on it yet.

Edit: Have now

10. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Are you aiming to have the data upload automatically or will you have to do it manually every time?

Otherwise the feature is pretty interesting, I'll have to actually read the fic recommended before I can give you more feedback, but it looks like it's working pretty well!

11. Lord Ravenclaw

It'll be near real time when I get a chance.

12. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nice one, Raven.

An interesting expansion would be the ability to feed it your FF.Net favourites, though I'm not quite sure how that would work, as a fic being favourited or not is binary, whereas ratings aren't.

13. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

My favorites list is full of crappy, crappy stories. I use it more of a list for things-I-read-more-than-one-chapter-of.

14. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This seems like a good idea, though may give somewhat messy results from time to time; a shared taste for one type of story between two users may result in them having completely different fics appearing in the results because most people like such a varied range of things. I won't pretend to understand the first thing about how search algorithms work, but that kind of unreliable correlation seems like it'd lump in vastly different styles of story next to one another in the suggested results.

Perhaps it could be useful to add some kind of genre or theme filtering system, so you'd be able to check a box and hide, say, all results flagged as humour or romance, or only show results of a specific genre. Something similar with a series of tags relating to the fics' themes could be helpful as well, so that specific searches for, say, fics that do or do not contain an alternate house sorting or early introduction to magic.

Seems like this might be a fair bit of work, especially adding all the possible tags to everything, and probably more effort than it would be worth. But filtering by genre seems like a realistic and useful addition, cleaning up search results a little.

Of course, despite the efficiency of specific searches, having unexpected gems thrown up that you may not otherwise look twice at is one of the best things about this magic personality test.

This is a bit of a tangent, but I'd quite like to see a sort of 'randomizer' feature, where at a click of a button, a dozen randomly selected fics from the library would pop up. I'm sure there are many things hidden in the recesses of the forums that somehow slipped by without gaining as much attention as they should have.

If none of my suggestions are feasible or easy to pop into existence, I'd also suggest that you manually force my paltry contribution to the fandom onto every single recommendation so I get lots of attention and feel pretty as pie. This would be a valid improvement to this great tool, and definitely not a self-serving bullshit idea. :3

15. Lord Ravenclaw

Unfortunately, a user-based recommender algorithm is the only way I can implement the feature for the moment without generating features for each item (story) in our database. Once we have a way to reason about what unique attributes make up each story, it becomes easier to recommend stories based on the corpus of other similar stories.

Tagging everything would be a massive pain in the ass but would allow for more interesting features to be generated.

Adding filtering after the fact is possible.

16. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

This sounds awesome Raven - I'd love to take a look at your algorithm. Not because I'd be able to help, most likely, but I'm interested in seeing exactly how it works.

I'm pretty sure that lots of people, myself included, would be up for helping tag stories by genre or any other criteria. Even if we don't manage to get the whole library tagged it'd be a good thing to have on newer entry stories anyway.

Let me know if there's anything else I could do to help out.

17. Oz

18. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Oh... that'd be sad. I've studied those before. D:

19. Oz

[​IMG]

I may very well be wrong anyway, just took a guess. \(o_O)/

20. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Try rating those crappy stories on the list then. If it works as I feel like it should, giving those crappy stories a bad rating may change your list a bit.

How often will this list get updated? It would be cool if it was more dynamic, and changes as we rate the stories on the list. I have no idea how difficult making this is, but will you be planning on making this more automatic, or updating it manually as you are doing now?