1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Personalized Recommendations

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

You'd be right about using Pearson, but a difference metric is only one part of the algorithm. That's whats used to take a vector of [{storyid, rating}, {storyid, rating}] of one user compared to another. At that point a nearest neighbor algorithm is used to find the users most like you (through the Pearson Correlation). If you're really interested in machine learning and recommender algorithms, I'd encourage you to take a gander at the Wikipedia page on Collaborative Filtering, it's the basis of many of the ideas used in such systems.

I'm writing a blog post about this project, from development to institution. My prototype was in Python but the production system leverages already written code from the Apache Mahout project. I've used Mahout at work which made it a pretty small lift to get this project from idea to product in ~2 nights.

At some point I plan to publish all my Data Mining & Machine Learning notes I took from my graduate program. They're where much of my inspiration for these kinds of projects come from and I describe the process by which many common algorithms work. That being said, I managed to fall rather ill during that course so the projects near the end are of poor quality.

If you're at all interested in algorithms & programming, I hope you'll join irc.darklordpotter.net #programming -- it's my hope to build a strong development community and hopefully work on some projects as a community. The new PatronusCharm will be an open source effort.

2. Lord Ravenclaw

Recommendations now include all WBA forums, unincludes a hidden forum called the "Trash Bin", a source of much error in the algorithm.

Refreshes now occur every 5 minutes.

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Huh. I don't know which, but some of the changes really did the trick. Nonjon is entirely gone from that list. Now it's starting to look interesting.

In fact, it recommends me my own story. Considering that I write what I'd like to read, you have a winner, Raven.

Oz
  4. PinstripedPajamas

PinstripedPajamas Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Excellent work. I've found quite a few great stories because of this.

I do have a gripe though. Some library threads have been closed (All These Complications for example) and because of this, they cannot be rated. This means that a story will probably stay on my recommendations list in perpetuity. Perhaps a feature can be added to hide stories that I cant / don't want to rate?

Keep up the good work.

Ash
  5. Lord Ravenclaw

I've been working on a feedback system, e.g. a "yes this was a good rec" vs. "no this was awful" which should solve this issue.

6. Lord Ravenclaw

7. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Usage wise, I don't really see much of a difference between the two lists. But if you are asking for more technical feedback, then someone else can answer :p

8. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Isn't that list completely different for you, then?

I get a totally different bunch of recommendations than before. The funny thing is, though, that they, too, fit. There's a lot of WbA threads in there I for some reason or another never rated but read and enjoyed. So I can't say yet which is better, but neither is off-base.

9. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Hehe. First recc:

Tagging in For Review: Browsing the Library by pairings
    2 ratings. 30 posts. Last post on January 17, 2012 at 04:06 pm

10. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Excellent work Lord Ravenclaw. I read this thread a couple of months ago and since then I rated a lot of the Library and WBA fics to have a decent data. I can say without doubt, that the log works perfectly. It did recommended stories I've read, but somehow I didn't rate them.

What's the difference between the 2 recommenders?