1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Thread: Other Fandoms

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Oneiros, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Celestin

Celestin Master of Death

I'm totally going to steal the part with mutants always have some permanent physical attributes while most other superhumans don't have them. It's always a problem to have people love superheroes and hate superhero mutants when they can't somehow easily tell which one is which.

Some mutants are more lucky than others and unless someone inspect their whole body, they can pass for a normal human. That would lead to infamous 'M' tatoo from one of the possible futures.

2. tikkier2000

tikkier2000 Third Year

High Score:
    BNHA plot bunny because right now the fandom is kind of garbage for fic: one of more of 1-A/1-B decide, after graduation, to work internationally. I know in the recent BNHA movie it's shown that All Might spent some time in the U.S., but as far as I know that was kind of like a student exchange. I'm talking about full on working overseas, and it could be any country. I was specifically thinking the U.S. because I think it'd be fascinating to explore how the U.S. legal system does or doesn't fuck with heroes.

For example, I'd imagine that heroes would have to be a subset of the cops. To be legally operating, I can't imagine that our system would tolerate outside companies contracting with the police for enforcement purposes. That would essentially mean heroes could bypass 4th Amendment rights, etc because they're not government or even government funded (at least, canon implies that heroes aren't government funded in Japan). Or maybe that is what's happening, and the system is fucked.

I'm also down for the idea that, if heroes were employed by the police, then they 1) make a wage not based on popularity and 2) people with less destructive quirks are the name of the game, especially in big cities and for most kinds of crime.

3. 9th Doctor

9th Doctor Seventh Year

“Pokémon uncontrolled by humans causes more destruction today than any other two natural disasters combined. Our country is scattered, with several city-states, some openly hostile toward each other, some with more cordial relations, all forced into a semblance of agreement by the restrictive control of the league, the elite four, and the Champion.

The Cataclysm was caused by a party spouting objective truth and motivated by compassion to spread that truth as far as possible. In their pride, the political slogan “Truth and Love” became a curse to the survivors.

If all else fails and the earth is swept away in a destructive maelstrom of battling ancients, we must have a place for humanity to retreat to- a cradle of life that can grow into more.

To protect the world from Devastation

To unite all peoples within our Nation

To renounce the evils of “Truth and Love”

To extend our reach to the stars above.

4. Heosphoros

Heosphoros Third Year

@Celestin
    Yeah, a bunch of athletic super models isn't the first thing you picture when hearing the word Mutant, right? Though the idea is hardly original, plenty of artists played with it before. I'd avoid going into the monstrous/tumorous extreme, if only to dodge the ensuing angst (already plenty to go around from societal factors). I think my ideal for the concealable side of a mutation would be my version of Cyclops. I'd just have his visor being a part of his face, just the horizontal ruby strip. It's something that isn't reproducible by simple makeup or hair die, but can still be concealed by a big ass sunglasses.

@tikkier2000
    I don't think much of what you're suggesting is particularly different from the Japanese heroes. They already have support from the police, lot's of rules and regulations; Mt. Lady complains about always being limited by having to avoid colateral damage. If anything things would be looser in the US, with it's greater aversion to government in general. There could be an easy parallel between quirk use and guns to use the 2nd amendment "I Win" button in any regulatory argument. Likewise the stronger corporate and fame seeking culture would be a enormous incentive for colorful heroics.

5. tikkier2000

tikkier2000 Third Year

High Score:
    I think you're underestimating how hard the lobbying would be after a bunch of private shit got demolished. If you go the 2nd Amendment route, would then public use of quirks be legal? That sounds like a hot mess from the get-go. That in of itself wouldn't be a bad story premise, especially if the canon characters were like "wow wtf you guys, why".

I see it from this perspective, I guess: if heroes enforce laws, then they would have to be a part of the police. How could they function within the American justice system otherwise? Everyone has certain protections from the police like search and seizure rights, etc in how the police conduct themselves when faced with a crime. If heroes are enforcing laws (and is it just quirk laws? or do heroes involve themselves with any kind of crime? I'm not familiar enough with the manga to know if it's been addressed), then they would have to follow the same rules as the police force, but if it's a private entity, that wouldn't apply. While policy and laws could be changed to fit around it, it wouldn't make much sense. Quirks can be very destructive, and as soon as some major shit gets wrecked, someone has to foot the bill. The police wouldn't be responsible, but a private business would. That's a crapshoot. Maybe you get insurance, but that sounds like a crapshoot too, and I don't think anyone would want to create the hero insurance agencies.

6. Heosphoros

Heosphoros Third Year

I don't disagree with your points, I just think that much of what you say is more or less true in canon. Heroes may act independently, but they are still registered, regulated and must follow rules of engagement. Not to mention when they literally work alongside the police as muscle. They're essentially already law enforcement. So yeah, you can have the US be all sort of ways regarding quirks and heroics with reasonable explanations, but if you want your fish out of water story to be compelling by itself, the place it ends up in must be more than just a lake with slightly different pH.

Also, having the world of US be all reasonable and rational brings back all the flashbacks from those fics where the American Wizarding World is this racist free muggle hugging Utopia.

7. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Time for a crossover.

Or in other words: YO BRO I HEARD YOU LIKE ANIME SO I PUT ANIME IN YOUR ANIME SO YOU CAN ANIME WHILE YOU ANIME.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Boku Naruto Academia

8. tikkier2000

tikkier2000 Third Year

High Score:
    Honestly, though, if you did it the way I laid it out, there would be some major issues. Sure it's rational, and sure it would make sense within the U.S.'s framework for criminal justice, but our justice system got issues. First and foremost, cops get paid shit, and who would want to do a job that just became more deadly for probably not a whole lot more pay, especially when quirks can be anything? At least in Japan there's incentive to get famous, even if it can cause corruption. Which, no incentive doesn't stop corruption, it just comes from a different source, and the idea of dirty heroes might be worth exploring. And if the golden rule is "please, please don't break anything", well. Our systems in place for rebuilding would probably be horrible because the government couldn't foot those bills, which would have to make heroes free of liability, which just leaves other people to insure their stuff against villain attacks, I guess.

I mean, yeah, it could easily be written like 98% of American Wizarding World fics, which would garbage. But I guess if you're going to the trouble to build the American hero system, why would you not explore the obvious problems within the world?

9. Sataniel

Sataniel Professor

High Score:
    "Why would you do this?" referred to "Why would you use this aberration".
    In DitF he would kill Joker if not for Clark. There are also multiple alternative versions of Batman which killed the Joker.

10. Heosphoros

Heosphoros Third Year

That's fair. I don't have problems with your system, but for the country which it applies. State servants super-heroes with America's resistance to big government and its pride for its citizen's personal Freedom feels off. It's the place that invented the colorful, independent, larger than life super hero after all. There is also the matter that any quirk regulating legislation doesn't only applies to a super-hero minority but the 80% that has them, good luck taking away the people's God given gifts. Honestly, propriety damage alone is a pretty weak motivation for such strong regulation. Since controlling it through strengthening rules and regulation would bring diminishing returns, as criminals are notorious for ignoring those.

Alternatively you could link the super-villains with terrorism (something not far from canon before All Might). The threat of the citizens' day-to-day life is always a good opportunity for a state to expand its rights. Alternatively you may allude real world's police brutality and militarization by having the heroes take-downs being more lethal (also a good way to reduce damage, for a certain price).

Otherwise the US could be Stain's nightmare: hyper-corporate super-heroes full of merchandise, product endorsement and reality shows. Yet another celebrity industry to attract all those hopefuls for the American Dream. With the perk of being a taxable business that can help out the government with damages.

11. Celestin

Celestin Master of Death

Yes, that's why it's the worst case scenario for him to become the Batman Who Laughs.

I use him because he's an OP character capable of travelling between universes and destroying them. Perfect for an OP SI to fight against.

12. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Pokemon AU in which Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh come together to become a single nation which is more interconnected than in canon.

A new Pokemon League (and therefore the government) forms from the merger of the Leagues of all the regions. Former Champions, Elite 4 and Gym Leaders hold an official meeting to determine the first National Champion and his National Elite 4.

This is when things get a little tricky. While Steven Stone represents Hoenn and Cynthia represents Sinnoh, there arises a problem with Kanto and Johto since they share the Indigo League. It is therefore decided that Lance will only be able to represent Johto, as he is from Blackthorn City. In his place Lorelei is chosen to represent Kanto. This part is accepted easily enough, but it creates new problems as there now need to be two new groups of Elite 4, for both Kanto and Johto.

The whole thing is a big deal with lots of media attention. Even the four Professors Oak, Elm, Birch and Rowan are invited to the conference. But while the new government is slowly formed, Team Rocket plots to make sure that they are in a position of power.

Which is how Giovanni manages to land himself a spot as one of Kanto's Elite Four Representatives, along with Bruno, Agatha and Sabrina (who also works for Giovanni). Meanwhile, the Johto's Elite Four Representatives are Pryce, Clair, Will and Morty. Of course the ascension of some gym leaders into Elite Four now means that their gyms are led by new people.

Some of the choices are applauded by the public while some are deemed suspicious (such as Lance choosing his cousin Clair as one of the Johto's Elite 4). All in all though, this one big event derails the plot of events from Pokemon Red/Blue as well as Ruby/Sapphire, because it happens a mere week before they would have taken place.

Pokemon Trainers Red and Blue are given their starters by one of Professor Oak's aides while he is away at the National Conference. Meanwhile in Hoenn the same happens when Pokemon Trainer Sapphire goes with her father Professor Birch to the conference, leaving Ruby to acquire a starter also from one of Birch's aides.

As various adventures begin, Pokemon Trainers Red, Blue, Ruby and Sapphire are all destined to eventually cross paths one way or another.