1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Potter's Resistance 1: Breaking Ties by IP82 - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Lutris, Nov 13, 2005.

1. True Story

True Story Third Year

Err....reading over the chapter...If that voice was Ron himself he msut have some serious schitzophrenia[sp?]...

p.s. How do you spell schitzophrenia?

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I thought it had something to do with the brains that had attacked Ron in the Department of Mysteries.

3. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Me too.

The bigger question, to me, is who would be so important that they would want to save his brain? WHat sort of person is this? Someone who maybe made a horcrux that couldn't be found so they just removed his brain entirely? THen the part of his soul chose to bond to the first thing it could after so long in isolation, this would be ROn. That would be a cool twist. Or was he a resource of the Department of Mysteries? An enchanted brain (like the Sorting Hat) that is used to store certain types of knowledge (or in this case offer strategic advise and assist in planning)?

Honestly IP82, this story is one of my favorites, and I'm always riveted by it and eager for more. Cogratulations on the award. You truly deserved it.

Now I will act like a true fanboy and say, "UPDATE SOON!!!" :D

4. True Story

True Story Third Year

Yeah I had the same thought I was wondering if they may have kept Grindlewald's brain....it seemed mighty pleased to have bested Dumbledore at something...

5. Ranku

Ranku First Year

This is probably one of my favorite fanfics right now. It has alot of the stuff I look for(originality, a nice writing form, the updates aren't too far spaced apart, etc.), and one of the few I feel worth following. The escape from the Dursley's and Dumbledore's clutches is believable(which most others aren't), and the idea behind the Anarchia is very, very cool. You've got a good chapter length, so when you update it doesn't feel like I just read something I've been waiting a week or three for in 10 minutes(and thus leaves me pretty content). If you keep going the way you have been, Potter's Resistance will, for me, end up being one of the best Independent Harry's out there.

Let's see.. you took something many a fanfiction writer has done(brought a Phoenix and a snake into the picture), and actually made the idea of it very original. It's got to the point where having a snake as a pet has become just annoying, due to it being over done(the phoenix is the same). I look forward to seeing the why's behind the Phoenix's appearance, also. From Davidovitch's reaction, it's happened before, so what could it be? No idea, personally.

I also like the way that you're having Harry take an active part in gaining information, and your views on alot of the things. The Reducto curse is, as you said, used alot of the times as the main weapon for the Order of the Phoenix(and Light sided wizards in general), and your theory on it is quite sound.

Lastly, I loved the duel between Harry and Rookwood. Many people just turn Death Eater's into crazed homicidal psychopaths, and forget that they may have reasons for becoming what they are. They were(are) normal people, and they're following Voldemort for just about the same reason people are fighting them: they believe that what they're doing is right... Sure, you've got some people(like say, Bellatrix) who are crazy and torture for fun, but that's only a couple people. Alot of them are brought up with those beliefs, just like people are brought up with religion.

6. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Ranku: Thanks for the leanghty review.

There's nothing much to add here, espect to applogise to everyone for this chapter's lateness. I've came down ill these last several days and all I can think about when I try writting is about my next nap time... :))

7. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

At least you have a legitamite excuse. Mine usually center about my being too busy playing video games or something.

8. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

That's why I completely ditched TV & video games altogether... Too much wasted time on doing nothing.

9. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

NO TV!!!

Maybe, I should do that.

Wait, Football is on, and I hear those Double Greasy, Pig fried, potato chips calling my name from my kitchenette (I live in a studio. FUCK YOU!! NEw york RENT is HIGH AS HELL!!! and I can't afford anything better as a struggling student. FYI, I nowaccept Checks accept donations in check form.) :D :D :D :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Back on track, I just want to tell you that YOU (IP82), Ishtar, Nonjon, and Lord Serapheth are my favorite writers currently (not that you care you bastard. You didn't even notice that I made lambchops last night OR that I changed my hair. GOD I HATE YOU!!! :goes off to cry in the corner:)

P.S. Vash and Midknight, I still LOVe both you're stories, and you would be right up there if you updated more often. SOrry. :D

But seriously, this really is one of my favorite stories, so UPDATE SOON!! :D :D :D

10. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

O_- ... BLASPHEMY!...

meh.. couldnt live without me video games... helps vent frustration at times and others are just fucking awesome (Prince of persia and Final fantasy, namely) Id havespent the 400 on an Xbox360 if anyone had the danm htings in stock as well... Dead or Alive 4 and quake 4 are out ya know...

11. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yes, vidio games as stress-breakers are cool... At the moment I'm using Call of Duty 2 for that purpose. I play a mission every day or two, kill 100 or so Germans and drop it...

But the games I truly like to play - RPGs and turn-based strategies simply take too much time.

Ehm... I once tried to finish every quest in Morrowind... Gave up after a month of playing non stop... Too much wasted time... too much... too much... *curled in a corner, knocking head against paddled walls*

12. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

good fic, very good in fact. In fact so good that you are now to blame that I haven't even made a strt on chapter 20 :lol:

I must admit the first few chapters irked me. They were below your standards to the point of shoddy. The grammar was bad (though this was before the betaing) and some of the ideas were very cliche. However I saw great potential in some of your scenes so read on. I congratulate myself for making that decision. 8)

The cliche and tedius scenes have been diluted so much that I read the whole of the last two chapters without skipping anything. Trust me, that means a lot when it's coming from me!

I absolutely lovedthe Rookwood scene. You nailed him bang on. 100% You made him your own. We all expected Harry to win easily but instead you gave us a refreashing change.

Your Manipulative Dumbledore is slightly OTT but I find myself not minding much. The chess much was legendary.

In conclusion, congratulations, I shall add you to my author alert in due course.

Update when you can,

MS

13. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Thanks for the review MS.

I agree that first chapters are weak at times (this IS my first try at writting anything, not to mention in foreign language) and now, I would have done a few things differently...

However, I don't know what parts you considered clishe. Yes, a phoenix and a snake is used often, but I tried to make them different.
    New wand is also used often, but in here, it's not anything special (it's not Merlin's/Founder's/etc... and spells aren't 20 times stronger with it). Yes, I might have overdid the wandmaker part, but I simply decided to give every OC at least some background and I'm sticking to it.
    The only truly clishe part are magical tents, but that's not some big point in this story...

So, would you mind explaining what exactly is clishe? I'd really like to hear so I could avoid such mistakes in future (after all, that's why I encourage reviews here - so I could find out what parts are sub-standard and make them better).

14. Ray_

Ray_ Guest

I've been reading through this fic (which takes a while, thanks to those incredible 10,000+ words monster chapters), and I have to say, I'm loving it. This easily could become one of the best Independent!Harry fan fictions to ever be written. Long chapters, a good plot, and an almost total lack of clichés (the few things remotely cliché, such as the new wand and the snake were dealt with in such a way that its almost impossible to mark them as clichés anymore). In fact, the only thing that irked me about this fic were the initial spelling mistakes, but those were fixed when you got a beta.

To summarize, for those who were too lazy to read my small rant: This is a damn good story. READ IT.

15. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Don't worry about it. In terms of Cliches I don't think you really have any. (Maybe making Harry a Metamorphmagus, but that's it. )

Update soon.

16. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

That's probably the only super power he'll ever have. Since I'm planning to write it more like a spy thriller than some epic action, you can see how being a morph could be dead useful. At times I curse the phoenix, the wand and the snake, but I never regreted making him into metamorphmagus.

17. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Phoenix is an easy fix. It just loses interest in him. That's it. Maybe Harry finds a ritual that will drive it away. but it isn't essential to the plot (at least so far.)

18. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

OOOOO you could use the phoenix as a indicator-thingy...everytime harry soul becomes a little darker so does the phoenix...a slow change type of thing.

19. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

A phoenix getting dark? Ehh, maybe, but I can't see that happening.

20. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

why not? those birds are very loyal..right? :?