1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Prince by DrSallySparrow - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by lozzamaniac, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

It has some beautiful turns of phrase and this style would probably not bare the weight of a full story. Still I found it skimmed over things to its own detriment. The Venetian setting was a nice idea but it never really felt like the HP aspects had really been melded into it other than pureblood=noble. The world building was nonexistent past the setting and the style. The hints of backstory and the wider world never felt like it added up to a cohesive whole. Magic in general adds nothing at all to this story and could have been removed without anything much changing

I'm not sure what was the point setting up the pureblood/noble muggleborn/low class divide and of giving Draco his usual personality if they were going to have him do a 180 the second he lay eyes on Hermione. The only time it might have bearing on the plot. I'm all for stylistic depictions of love but that seemed deeply pointless in a story that is so spearing with its words and a waste of an easy character arc.

This story is all style, the substance is a poorly plotted romance/intrigue that has little tension or stakes or much of a character arc for anyone who is not Daphne (barely). Most of the side characters are little more than paper cutouts with HP names attached. However that being said, the style is very very pretty. You can feel yourself sinking into the prose as letting your eyes run across each line. Its a mesmerizing read and it doesn't overstay its welcome. It's worth reading and reading slowly.

4/5 Style over substance Isn't always a bad thing, though I can't help wish it had a little more of the latter.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  2. Microwave

Microwave Professor

Pretty much my opinion on this story. Stylistically, it's beautiful. The language never gets dull, and always brings out more to engross yourself in. Honestly, if Harry Crow ended up written like this there's an extremely high chance I'd fucking love it.

I don't think this story would even last without its style. Every single non-technical element is extremely dull. Sometimes it feels like a specific element of the story would play a major role, but everything just ends up falling into its own mundane, predictable place.

That being said, I still fucking love this story. The language is so pleasant that everything else in the story can just be disregarded. I'd give it a 5/5 if it just had a tad bit more depth, but fact that it can still be considered a 4/5 even without it is impressive enough.