1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with connection to DLP

Discussion in 'Site Related Support' started by Kurufinwe, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

I am having this problem from sometimes now. When I try to enter DLP, this pop outs:
    http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/2813/98247748.jpg

I know that screen shot is almost 2 months old, but I was really busy lately and haven't got the time to post. The problem remains the same.

Adding exception and confirming doesn't do anything. It's the same on other browser (I tested it on Chrome, IE and Firefox). I contacted my internet provider tech support and they told me, that this is encrypted type https connection and it doesn't depend on them. Also I checked and have correct time on my computer, I even installed add-on that should resolve this, but it didn't do anything.

So anybody have the same problem, are there any solution.

I should probably state that it happens occasionally and is gone after several hours.

2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

The cert itself is fine.

[​IMG]

Can you take a screenshot now/soon and post it? Make sure your date and time are set correctly in windows and your BIOS.

I'm thinking maybe you have the old cert cached somewhere and your computer keeps trying to use that instead of grabbing the current, valid one.

3. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Complete set.

Somehow it's working on IE now, after clicking "continue to this ...". It probably won't work for long and I don't want use IE to browse web.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2012
  4. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's your problem, switch to English on Chrome.

5. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Try deleting Firefox cache or the DLP cookie.

Also, I originally thought this thread was about you being ashamed of your association with DLP. xD

6. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

Silverlasso, this basic things were first things which I tried when the problem appeared. I have tried it multiple times since then - it didn't work.

Gambit please post only if you have something to add that is on topic

7. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

What does the error message look like in other browsers?

8. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

You have an old cert somewhere which is causing the issue. I have no idea why.

Go to Start -> Run (or the W7 search) -> certmgr.msc

Select Personal -> Certificates, then look for any cert from the DLP Group.

9. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

I tried it, personal folder is empty on there no any cert connected anyhow with DLP in other folders.

10. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Some things to double check. Go to certmgr.msc like Ravenclaw mentioned.

Action -> Find Certificates
    Change the "Look In" field to "Issued to"
    Search for darklordpotter and then try DLP

Anything?

You said that Internet Explorer seemed to be working okay now. What does the cert look like there?

Go to https://forums.darklordpotter.net in IE. Click the padlock in the URL field. View cert.

Issued to:
    Issued by:
    Valid from:

11. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

Doesn't find anything in certmgr.msc - tried it and there is nothing with DLP, dark, potter, darklordpotter or anything similar.

About IE, it also pop-outs with the information/warming about lack of certificate, but if I click "continue to this website" it opens let say "normally". While using Firefox and chrome even after clicking to continue to the website without proper cert gives nothing.
    There is not padlock in IE - it's something like this(screen):
    http://i.imgur.com/xF3cW.jpg

12. yak

That's strange.

DLP's https has been working fine for me. I followed Lord Ravenclaw's instructions anyway and found the old, self-signed cert stored exactly where he said it'd be. I've deleted it now, but it looked the same as the one in your screenshot.

If the old cert isn't being stored in your computer's certificate repository, then where the heck is it retrieving it from?

---------- Post automerged at 09:54 ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 ----------

Okay, so we know this isn't a browser issue, because it's effecting every browser.
    It has the symptoms of an OS issue, but no DLP certs are in the OS certificate repository.

Security software. Do you run Norton Internet Securty/360, Kaspersky Internet Security, AVG Internet Security, or something similar?

Try disabling it and then check https://forums.darklordpotter.net in your three browsers.

13. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

I also had this issue pop up a number of times. Most of the times it occurred when I am having some connection issues and then Firefox will not allow me to browse to dlp at all and I had to use Chrome.

I will try what Raven told when I get access to my laptop tomorrow.

14. yak

Kurufinwe, if disabling your internet security doesn't work [I hope it will, it fixed a similar expired certificate caching problem], then try creating a new Windows user account and access DLP from there. Stored certs can be specific to one user account.

15. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

I tried with disabling security program (avast), it didn't help. I even created new user account in windows - also didn't work. Here are some screens from new user account and in certmgr.msc:
    http://imgur.com/DTU2N
    http://imgur.com/NkmFK

16. yak

Here's a Microsoft Answers thread which discusses an SSL cert caching problem: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-problem/c5a819e2-df9c-4394-b7b4-ad66655820f8.

One last thing with disabling Avast. Make sure you reboot after doing so. Sometimes the settings it enables will "stick" and won't actually be turned off until you reboot. I've experienced this myself. So, disable Avast, reboot, make sure Avast is still disabled, and then try SSL DLP in a few browsers.

17. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

Tried it, after disabling and restarting - also the same cert issue...
    I really don't know what to do anymore :/

18. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've had this problem a couple times over the past few weeks. It'll bring up that "invalid certificate" screen with no way to just bypass it, but then when I try again a while later (an hour or two) it'll be working normally like it is now. I can access DLP from Internet Explorer in the mean time, it just won't work for Firefox.

19. yak

I'm out of ideas about this. Something in your PC is storing an expired cert and retrieving it for use every time you access DLP.

Actually, one more idea. Try accessing DLP from Linux. Use a bootable disc.

Perhaps there's something in your network/ISP, rather than your PC, which is causing this. I'm not even sure if that's possible, but on the off chance, it's a fairly simple test.

20. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

If it still doesn't work from a Linux livecd, that has disturbing implications for your network, namely that things are being Man-In-The-Middle'd. I doubt this is the case though.