1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Problems When Posting

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Chengar Qordath, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This has been going on for a couple days now. Most of the time I try to post the request ends up giving me a 408 Request Timeout error. I don't seem to be having that issue on other sites, just DLP. Sometimes the post does still go through, but the timeout errors are still very annoying. I can't preview posts without getting the errors either, and the posts sometimes going through has led to a couple double-posts I had to go back and edit ... while getting more timeouts in the process.

The rest of the forum seems to be running fine for me, though. It's just when I post that the issues crop up.

2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

So basically what happens is your browser tells DLP's server it's about to submit a post, the server responds saying ok and gets ready to receive the post. If the server is left waiting too long it will stop waiting and reject the post. It's pretty hard to narrow the problem down, but unless other people chip in and say they're having the same problem I'm inclined to believe the problem is with your setup, or the connection between you and DLP in some way, so some questions:

What is your:
    Operating system and verison?
    Web browser, and any addons/extensions?
    Anti-virus/firewall?
    Physical location (America, somewhere in Europe/Asia, wherever)?
    ISP?

EDIT: did this begin happening around the time of the Nepal earthquake by any chance?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  3. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Browser: Google Chrome, only extensions are one for Google Docs and one for my Anti-Virus program
    Anti-Virus: Avast (free version)
    Physical Location: United States
    ISP: Hughesnet

4. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Also, lately I've been getting double-posts whenever it hangs up while posting.

5. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

408 is the status code returned by the server when the client does not send the request in a timely manner. Given that you're on Hughesnet, a satellite internet provider, this means your request has to literally travel into space, back down, and then make it to DLP. A lot can go wrong with signals there. DLP returns a 408 to protect its self from attacks designed to tie up resources for extended periods of time.

In addition, if you resend a request without checking if it made it through you can end up with a double-post situation. This happens most often on very unreliable networks (e.g. mobile or satellite networks). You can send a request that makes it through without the client ever knowing it succeeded.

Sorry for your troubles, but there really isn't anything I can do to help. Check with Hughesnet and ensure your satellite is properly aligned. We had satellite tv long ago and we had to recalibrate the dish every so often.

6. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Was afraid it was something like that. Thanks for the help.