1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Prompt Ideas

Discussion in 'The Lone 2017 Competition' started by Ched, Jan 19, 2018.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

- Post Nuclear Apocalypse

- The World’s Most Wanted Man/Woman

- Petunia and Lily Evans: The Brightest Witches of the Age

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

What do you all think of this as a poll option for a prompt?

Write your "Chapter 1" intended to be part of a larger work.

Love it? Hate it? Would be our first prompt that didn't require a completed story to be presented, but I expect a lot of us have these lying around out there, or at least ideas for some.

And who knows, maybe it would encourage people to write longer works that continue on past the comp.

3. Nexis

Nexis Third Year

High Score:
    I'm not sure if I like this idea. Mainly because like you said, many of us here probably have a few of those already written, and my guess is people would just submit things that they've written already, and that would kind of defeat the main purpose of this competition (at least as I see it) which is to get people to write. So, even though I can see some advantages to this idea, I'd say I'm not a fan.

4. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

More prompts

Magical Homes

The Founders

Department of Mysteries

The Veil

Magical Beasts

Myths and Magic

5. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Or it could be a testing bed to see if your idea has merit instead of just sitting on something and not putting it out there.

I like the idea. It gets rid of the restrictions of some of the prompts and opens you up to an avenue getting something done when you normally wouldn't.

6. Nexis

Nexis Third Year

High Score:
    Yeah, that would be the good thing about this, but why not just put those first chapters in the WbA instead? You could see if people are interested there just as well (though to be fair probably not get as much feedback as in the competitions).

Anyway, if this idea gains popularity then I'd be fine with it, but I'd prefer more restricting prompts. I guess it's personal preference, but my creativity responds better to a specific prompt than to "write basically anything" kind of prompts.

7. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd be fine with that. Chapter 1 is probably the most focused part of any of my entries, and it removes the need to wrap up all of the points and provide an ending. So long as the groundwork is there for a larger thing, I think this could do well.

8. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Because people don't use WBA like it should be used anyways. I'm not saying your wrong, but the idea has merit. The goal here is to stream line the comps so that they can work better. I think that prompt ideas while cool and give a good base line for delivery, are also restricting. I see this as a compromise.

The prompt ideas thus far have either been too narrow or too broad. There is no in between. The more moderate prompt ideas feel like they'd been similar to the TGYH shit from back in the day. So its a fine line we're treading either way.

9. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I think it's a good idea, but I wouldn't be reviewing the stories. I have no desire to read a ton of first chapters, especially not for stories that might not get finished. As a result, I would probably write one instead.
    I'd probably find it funny if people sent in first chapters to stories they already finished or had written most of the way.

10. Ched

@Nexis - My creativity responds better to specific prompts as well, but people have seemed to prefer the wider ones so far. I'd personally prefer things like "Time Travel, non-Harry POV" to just "Time Travel" for example. Or perhaps "Azkaban Breakout" to "Azkaban." I'd like a prompt such as "Muggle Studies Field Trip" or something else specific that I probably wouldn't write otherwise, and I enjoyed that prompt about breaking into Snape's office or whatever it was even if I didn't finish a story.

More specific prompts fire up my creativity by forcing me to run scenarios that make the prompt fit within something that I personally want to write.

But I see why people prefer the more generic, broad prompts as well. It gives you more freedom to perhaps write a story you've wanted to write anyway, even if you didn't know it at the time. The prompt just provides a little direction and there you go - some more quality fanfic for the fandom (hopefully).

That's why we have the poll I guess, because I don't want to force a specific type of prompt on authors.

@Zombie I'd agree that the prompts have often been too narrow or too broad - I'll try to get one on there each time that does a better job of straddling the line, but I'm not that sure where that line is sometimes. But I think most will still vote for the less specific prompts.

...hmm, that's a point, actually. This came up some during the "Death" prompt but we can relax some about the prompt. It's meant to be a guide. Yes, I consider it being used well as part of my judging criteria. But the goal is to get more good stories out there, not to triple down on using Death.

Prompt useage matters, it just doesn't matter more than other criteria that go into writing a good story. AT least for me. Some people may choose to make it count more.

But ultimately the goals here are to get people writing, get people writing better after feedback, and get solid stories into the fandom. Prompts are meant to guide us into having ideas to write for these purposes, since without a prompt to focus on it can be that much harder to just come up with a random idea.

11. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Next quarter prompt idea. GoT Season 8 fanfiction.

12. Ched

Dany's dragons are pulled from Westeros into the first task of the Triwizard tournament!

13. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Dumbledore; evil and competent.

I like to believe ideas that are nearly always bad can sometimes be written well.

14. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Harry dies in chapter 1.
    Alternatively, write a 50k long fic of Harry piecing it together, all for Dumbledore to be able to answer his questions satisfactorily at the end. Fade away with him chewing on a lemon drop with a sinister smile.

15. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Those sort of things are what I want to see. Basically evil Dumbledore stomp with Harry being a dozen moves behind Dumbledore at every turn.

16. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

If it's properly foreshadowed and built up, it could be really awesome if Dumbledore turns out to be the Big Bad of the story. I'd read the shit out of that.

17. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ATLA-style Harry Potter, like the Sorting cat's fic.

18. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Let people write whatever they want so they can share projects they actually have a passion for.

19. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    An old-timey Harry Potter murder mystery, Agatha Christie-style.

20. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Rwby style Harry Potter, so I can pass off my fic as a comp entry

Not open for further replies.