1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Q1 2019 - Story Competition

Discussion in 'Q1 2019' started by Ched, Jan 3, 2019.

?

Pick your Poison! Prompt, I meant prompt.

Poll closed Jan 7, 2019.
  1. Death

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  2. Time Travel (non-Harry POV)

10 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. "Art thou mine master?"

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  4. Harry was raised as Dudley was. He's fat, lazy, entitled and surrounded by freaks at his new school.

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

The trick is to juts pick an idea and go with it.

2. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I don't like crackfics as a rule, so I'll agree that 1 is probably your best option if your goal is to write the best story you can. You've got until March, so there's plenty of time to write something.

3. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

You don't understand how the majority of DLP works. They consider deadlines an insult and will only start working on something 3 hours before a deadline begins. They laugh in the face of danger.

4. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

That forums.highwaytothedangerzone.darklordpotter makes so much more sense now.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  5. Silirt

Bear in mind what I said was that he and everyone else has time. Experience from a month ago and my general lack of respect for the majority of DLP had a sufficient combined effect to for me to assume that we're going to have fewer than 17 stories in this competition.

6. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

1 is pretty standard character exploration. Something like Twine Bracelets or Cauterize come to mind here.
    2 I would not recommend as a crack fic, but the idea can easily be turned into a horror-adventure type thing. Got some potential here, Dante's Inferno style.
    3 Never read it.
    4 Might be a nice slice-of-life story or an exploration of nihilism / post-modernism / meta-modernism
    5 Not about death, I don't think? Seems more like a Groundshog day fic.

7. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

Maybe something in the vein of Kafka's Poseidon thing.

Anyway for me, MoD briefly held my fancy, but I am thinking murder mystery using magic to solve it or something. Got a solid plot but I like it so much I might just use it for an actual fic.

8. Nexis

Nexis Third Year

High Score:
    Well, I have already written an outline for my story and written the first scene roughly, but it's still far from being complete.
    I'm not sure if my idea is good, but I'll just stick with it cause I can't think of anything else. Honestly I'm afraid of the story being horrible, but oh well, if I want to improve, getting some feedback would be a nice start.

If anyone wants to give an opinion on the basic idea itself, I'll put it in spoilers:

Young Albus and Aberforth try to resurrect Ariana. It doesn't go well.

9. Stealthy

Stealthy Groundskeeper

This has some great potential. Definitely a good idea to go with.

10. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I recently entered a 24 hour short story competition.

The prompt was a full paragraph but it was a very generic paragraph. A kid in the woods with an intention of checking the traps, basically.

I was reasonably pleased with my entry but the only reason my entry wasn't completely generic (the competition organizers say they often get the same story told dozens of times) is because I added another prompt entirely in my head.

My prompt was 'silver' and once I started thinking about how to make my prompt work with their prompt the idea came together.

So pick something like a color or a place or an item and start brainstorming how to include that in a story that involves the HPverse and Death.

It worked for me! Doesn't mean it will for you but maybe worth a shot.

11. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Do any other writers want to review my entry for this one? I finished the second draft today. I'd prefer other writers to avoid biasing the voter pool. I will, of course, return the favour.

12. Silirt

I'll take a look at it.

13. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I'd look at it. It'll probably give me a kick to start on my own.

14. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

Joe
  15. Dirty Puzzle

Dirty Puzzle Seventh Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've been throwing around prompts for these competitions since the beginning of 2018 but never had time to write one. Death is pretty broad, but I think some of my other ideas can be slightly changed to fit.

My list of potential story threads are:
    1. Tom Riddle's open relationship with death: fourteen years as a shade with seven pieces of his soul tying him down.
    2. Post-canon; European Ministers start getting assassinated; explores how magic can create fates a lot worse than death and the fragility of post-war peace.
    3. Post-canon; Neville is told his parents could be healed, but at the price of his magic; otherwise, the healers ask him about euthanasia, which his grandmother had always refused.
    I'm leaning towards the second one, but eh. I don't know yet.

16. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Of those I think #1 is going to have the most broad appeal. It takes place during canon events to some extent and if you can characterize LV in an interesting manner it'd work well.

#2 doesn't appear to involve any canon characters - so you'd want to pop Harry into that one ideally since it's so far removed from familiar events, settings, and characters.

And #3 has potential but you probably need to either keep that one really short or add another plotline to it. I like it but it's only going to sustain 2500 words or so (imo) before getting boring unless you're either incredibly skilled or you add another plotline to it, something like... Harry/Hermione/a-Healer is working on a cure for people who have been recently exposed to the cruciatus but they need to test something on Neville's parents, which will probably kill them (painlessly) and that's similar to euthanasia, etc.

17. Dirty Puzzle

High Score:
    Actually it focuses on Ron/Hermione. The British Aurors are asked to help investigate because of ex-Death Eaters being primary suspects. Hermione spends a portion of it in Germany for research and intern purposes.

I'll probably do either #1 or #2. #3 is more of a character study one-shot. Now it's just writing the damn thing.

18. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    I’ve just put the finishing touches on an outline for one of the two feasible ideas I had. It’s definitely the one that’s easier to execute, but I don’t know whether it’s really the one I want to go with it.

That sounds really interesting. I don’t know whether you have any proficiency in German, but should you need any help with it, you’re more than welcome to shoot questions my way.

19. Dirty Puzzle

High Score:
    I'll take you up on that since I'm a romantic language nerd. I'm proficient in three, including English, but haven't started on German because of the goddamn cases. I've heard they're a nightmare.

20. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I have the strange urge to write hardcore Fleur smut and justify it by making the title La Petite Mort.

Not open for further replies.