1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Q1 2019 - Story Competition

Discussion in 'Q1 2019' started by Ched, Jan 3, 2019.

?

Pick your Poison! Prompt, I meant prompt.

Poll closed Jan 7, 2019.
  1. Death

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  2. Time Travel (non-Harry POV)

10 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. "Art thou mine master?"

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  4. Harry was raised as Dudley was. He's fat, lazy, entitled and surrounded by freaks at his new school.

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Stories are up. :)

2. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I left out the ratings in the reviews themselves. Mostly because it's a bitch to grade things, I suck at it, and also I forgot. My rankings:
    1. Entry #4
    2. Entry #2
    3. Entry #3

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

That's fine - IIRC the current rule set just requires you to review in each story thread then rank top 3 in this thread. No requirement to actually rank/grade/score within your review.

BTT
  4. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

5. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Ched voting is one week or two weeks?

7. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

8. Ched

Typically I try to make sure that voting will have at least two weekends included, which may or may not be two full weeks.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  9. Ched

Going to do a bit of commentary before my rankings.

I was very lenient in what I personally accepted as meeting the 'Death' prompt. To me, a good use of the prompt would be demonstrated by a two sentence summary of the story (in my own words) including the word death, or dying/killed/whatever. The prompt is technically met if any of that is mentioned at all. The prompt is used excellently if concepts related to Death in the magical world were explored.

But for rankings? There were three stories that I genuinely enjoyed reading exactly as they were, and those were #2, #3, & #4.

Regardless of the prompt usage, #4 was the best written story. I had more fun reading #2 than #3 - seriously, some fantastic fucking lines in that thing - but #3 made significantly better use of the prompt. The ending of #2 was a bit sudden and #3 did better there. It's like half a dozen of one and six of the other for these stories. For me those two are a tie, and yet I must needs rank them.

Honorable mention from Ched to stories #1 and #5 for being short. I really wish we got more stories the length of those two - even if they weren't my favorites they were quick and snappy to read without a lot of clutter/fluff/padding. I think entry #6 had a great concept that worked well with the prompt but it did have a lot of extra padding that could be trimmed.

First Place - #4
    Second Place - #2
    Third Place - #3

I'm going to take a shower and think on it for my second and third place - do I give second place to the story with the best prompt use or the one I enjoyed the most? Edit: Decided!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  10. Ched

@ChaosGuy - You are awesome and totally the bestest for reviewing and providing good feedback in this competition and I want to genuinely thank you for that regardless of your response to this post.

But your reviews are clocking in at closer to 100 words than 200 words, which is the requirement for your rankings to count as votes. Please to go fix?

11. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

12. Raigan123

Raigan123 Banned

13. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  14. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Sorting my thoughts:

1 - Voldemort dies, meets Snape. Not enough meat on the bones.

2 - Fat!Harry. Meh intro, bad end, really enjoyed the middle.

3 - Grindelwald dies, meets Dumbledore. Competently written, some good lines, didn't excite me too much.

4 - Old Auror!Harry / Hogwarts rot. Best actual story, nicely flowing writing, had a professional sense of hooking the reader and drawing them in. Extremely DLP.

5 - Albus/Aberforth try to rez Ariana - Dumbledore felt wrong and the writing was kind of bland. Some good moments.

6 - Bloody Baron nails on a chalkboard dialogue - Really uneven, confusing. Some good canon feels.

Let's see. I think 4 is the clear winner in terms of like... "objective" quality. Think it's gotta be on the podium for sure. Tbh, though, I actually had the most fun reading 2. I thought Fat!Harry was inspired, and I had some gleeful moments at the ways Vernon's worldview shaped his perspective on Hogwarts. Like yeah the ending was dumb, but whatever, right? I was still left wanting more. I think that's the biggest thing, at the end of the day.

Third place is kind of tricky. Not 1, not 6. So 3 or 5. I suppose, on balance, that it's 3. It just felt a bit more polished, a bit more interesting.

1. Entry 2

2. Entry 4

3. Entry 3

Thanks for submitting stuff, everyone. Glad to see this gaining steam.

15. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  16. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Here is my order:

#4, #2, #6

17. Stealthy

Stealthy Groundskeeper

First Place: Entry #4
    Second Place: Entry #2
    Third Place: Entry #3

4 left me the most satisfied and was all around the best, so easy first place. 2 was the most entertaining, but its dry beginning and abrupt end knocked it down, though its biggest problem is the weak prompt use. Pretty sure whoever wrote it voted for the last prompt in the poll, saw that it lost, then said "fuck it, I'm writing it anyway". Still, loved it and want more, and that counts for a lot. Of the remainder, I knew it wasn't 1. It and 3 had similar concepts but 3 was all around superior. Not 6. If this wasn't a competition I'd have dropped it halfway through, which is an immediate DQ. Between 5 and 3, well, 3 left me saying "not enough", which is better than 5 which had deeper flaws. Ultimately, I'd probably click 'next chapter' on 3 but less likely for 5, and that seals it.

18. Ched

Vote vote vote! :D I might be a hair late tallying because the time zone I'm in screws with me, but got til approx midnight central time on the 27th to finish up. I'll accept if they're a hair late.

19. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

20. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Four was by far the most technically proficient, but I enjoyed the premise of 2 so much I'm making it my winner, flawed though it was.

Not open for further replies.