1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Q1 2020 Competition

Discussion in 'Q1 2020' started by Ched, Jan 3, 2020.

?

There will be HINDSIGHT because it's 2020! NO REGRETS

Poll closed Jan 9, 2020.
  1. "You have fifteen minutes to complete the exam. And your time starts now."

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  2. Abstract Magic (magic not covered by Hogwarts classes)

20 vote(s)
    51.3%
  3. Gold, God, Glory: Convoluted Colonial Wizarding Adventure

14 vote(s)
    35.9%
  1. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    For all my enthusiasm, I cannot actually pull anything together for this right now.

2. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I outlined most of my story, but I'll admit I've written very little for it thus far.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Let's try to do some general brainstorming then, yeah? None of these links are 100% going to lead you to "Abstract Magic" but I think all of them could spark an idea for something that could fit the description.

Wild Magic - The underlying magical forces at work in the universe, or at least in this section of it, are, quite literally, alive. And more often than not, they are completely amoral. At best they are whimsical, in a way that would normally be completely harmless. They just want to play.

Ritual Magic - One of the oldest conceptions of magic is Ritual Magic, a method of casting spells based on the performance of specific words, gestures, actions and offerings at specific places and times. Magic isn't a question of talent, spiritual enlightenment, or a power you're born with. It's something that anyone can learn, even (perhaps dangerously) a Muggle.

Magic Misfire - Either because of inexperience, a Malfunction Malady, the magic equivalent of Phlebotinum Breakdown, or some other reason, the spell screws up, often resulting in an unintended effect or Amusing Injuries, or both. In a game, a Magic Misfire can be a subtype of Critical Failure.

Wrong Context Magic - Sometimes it's met with skepticism by "normal" magic users. They will insist that the strange magic is fake or against the rules and so they will be left scratching their heads when the rulebreaking magic continuously works. Of course, in a world where magic is considered normal this can be justified since having magic that works on other rules is a lot like having a microwave that works by taking away cold instead of adding heat.

Unequal Rites - Frequently the themes behind the various forms of magic will take one of the various points within Functional Magic. Magicians who follow Magic A Is Magic A will be academic, studious, and always "researching" new spells. Artistic mages usually have some form of Functional Magic that they tap into in unconventional ways. Hermetic Magic practitioners follow ritual like academic magicians but usually ignore the “how” and “why” in favor of theological explanations or even plain old faith. Expect these mages to be on differing sides of Harmony Versus Discipline, with some seeking to “control” magic, others to “channel” it, and some to understand and influence it.

I enjoy browsing TVTropes to get ideas for things. I have an idea for this prompt already, though there's been no urge to start writing it, but just from reading these I got a few more seeds of ideas. Music as Magic, perhaps elevator music and thoughts of bowling. Different cultures with magic that doesn't use wands, that isn't taught but learned naturally from birth, where there are no schools and no traditional magical education. Inserting a Dresden system of magic into HP and making it somehow work. Squibs in general, and if they are truly magical beings or not.

Most of that might not work into a story with proper abstract magic, but if I was still brainstorming it could.

Cheers

4. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Fuck I just did a subject that wasn't covered in school and canon explains a bit murkily.

5. Ched

That will probably be fine, Silirt - don't stress XD

6. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

Halfway through something that has to do with the Founders, but minds still tossing up options.

Would we count wandmaking as an Abstract Magic?

7. Ched

Obligatory “depends how you write it” answer.

But probably. It often is in fanfic.

I’m a bit at a loss as to how to explain that it’s not the topic that makes it abstract by itself. But wandmaking often goes this route.

8. Paradoxical Pacifism

Paradoxical Pacifism Muggle

Hello all. I know this may sound weird and perhaps even insane, but i'd like to contribute to the story contests despite knowing nothing about the Harry Potter series. That is why I joined this forum in the first place. But i'm wondering if that's all okay with mods and forum etiquette.

9. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    Take what you do know and try to the best of your ability. Do some research with the wikia to expand on that. But honestly? The best thing to do is to just sit down with at least the first novel and read it.

The deadline isn't until March 9th, so you have plenty of time to go at your own pace and enjoy the process. So long as you can write a convincingly solid concept around 'abstract magic', you can take the competition. We certainly aren't going to say that you aren't allowed to participate, though you will have a harder time.

10. Ched

Less than a week left!

I didn't even get a start TBH - I was supposed to be in China at present and NOT being there (Coronoavirus!) created some work things to avoid.

Not that I'd have managed to finish the damn thing anyway.

...hmmm, but instead of writing the planned/plotted story that would have pushed 10k, maybe I can brainstorm something I could write quickly. I do wonder.

Edit: Next up we have more SHORT comps in Q2! Look forward to it! Q3 back to the longer one. PRovide thoughts and suggestions in the General comp thread, and go post some prompt ideas as you have them!

11. Ched

Get your stories in to @Xiph0 people! Today is the deadline (in his timezone!)

12. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    Well, I finally struck on an idea I would have liked to see realized, but writing it, let alone finishing it, with about an hour and a half to spare is impossible even at my best.

Dumbledore teaches (Harry?) to dimension travel through the power of dreaming. Some nonsense about dreams being a conduit to a greater multiverse, yet most will never understand that they have the power to walk beyond their world and into another. It was mostly an excuse to have them team up with, say, Dresden for a few chapters. Or visit some alternative fantasy setting for a vacation from the war. A different chance to learn obscure branches of magic and return older and wiser. I dunno. Felt that would have been 'abstract' enough from the first notions of time, love, soul, etc.

Good luck to the competition. Hope to read some good stories in the time ahead.

13. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Yeah, good luck to all. I managed to have an idea and write it all up pretty and lovely, but it’s too bloody long! Which is annoying.

Still, at least I can vote this way.

14. Ched

Longer than 17.5k? Eeesh mate. No chance of editing it down?

Hope you’ll share soon anyway.

15. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

28k down to 22k unfortunately. I've popped it in CbA. Very disappointing.

16. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    Did... no one actually submit for this?

17. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

That would be pretty amusing, and not at all surprising, but I think I'd still be disappointed.
    @Xiph0 might have just forgotten, or he might be busy. I suppose we can't rule out the chance California has broken off from the United States to move into an entirely new timezone.

18. Ched

I messaged him earlier.

19. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

There were submissions. Y'all just hold on tight and they'll get posted when they get posted.

20. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    Sounds good. Thank you.