1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Q1 2020 Competition

Discussion in 'Q1 2020' started by Ched, Jan 3, 2020.

?

There will be HINDSIGHT because it's 2020! NO REGRETS

Poll closed Jan 9, 2020.
  1. "You have fifteen minutes to complete the exam. And your time starts now."

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  2. Abstract Magic (magic not covered by Hogwarts classes)

20 vote(s)
    51.3%
  3. Gold, God, Glory: Convoluted Colonial Wizarding Adventure

14 vote(s)
    35.9%
  1. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Why does your post make you sound like a salty bitch? Do you lack the ability to use a line break and also not be a cunt?

Your entire post is poisoning the well for everyone else and I will not tolerate it. If you have nothing else helpful to contribute to this thread, kindly stfu.

2. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Entries are up here, I had intended to post them last night but forgot to put my normal alarm. Apologies to the individuals who submitted.

3. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I feel pretty bad for not completing an entry. I got really hyped on my idea, wrote a few thousand words, got kind of overwhelmed with trying to make it work (lots of time travel loop-within-loops), and then got sidetracked with other interests and then lost motivation.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

No worries !

5. Ched

With just three entries I don't see a need to extend the voting/reviewing window, FWIW.

Let's get to it!

6. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  7. Gaius

Gaius Fifth Year

8. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

1. Entry 1
    2. Entry 2
    3. Entry 3

Well done on entering all. Really, it's not easy, and it's a happy and good job that you did. I hope it's a positive experience for you.

9. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  10. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
  11. Microwave

Microwave Professor

12. FitzDizzyspells

FitzDizzyspells Seventh Year DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

1. Entry #2
    2. Entry #1
    3. Entry #3

I struggled for a while about whether #2 or #1 should win, and ultimately #2 won me over. #2 suffered at times from exposition that didn't always hold my interest, and I would've liked to have seen stronger characterization of Gemma. In the end, however, #2 was clever, concise and creative, and it felt the most like a professional short story of the three entries. I appreciated the author's decision to continuously build tension until finally reaching a tragic twist.

True, the exposition-heavy dialogue didn't always hold my interest, but it did always feel natural, which is no small feat for a conversation about abstract magic.

I thought the protagonist's characterization was stronger in #1, but #1 suffered from some wooden OCs who, in my opinion, made some strange choices. If everyone in my world acted like those OCs, I too would have nothing but Grindelwald-like distain for them. I will say, however, that #1 did hold my interest, and I enjoyed following Grindelwald on his grim little adventure.

As for #3, I've already said in my review that I really liked the Petunia scene at the beginning of the story. I'd like to see more of that in the future, and I hope I'll get to read the "Harry tracks down Petunia and learns more about her in the process" story that I think this author could execute well.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I thought for a while about posting a famous short story that could serve as an example for "abstract magic" for the aspiring writers here on DLP. It may be sci-fi, not fantasy, but the perfectly sad "Offloading For Mrs. Schwartz" by George Saunders came to my mind.

13. Ched

I plan to read/review before the deadline tomorrow at midnight (more or less - if you're clearly halfway done and pushing through I'll give you time... it's usually late on the day of that I get around to tallying).

14. Ched

I'm about to read/review - when I'm done, times up! If you're like 2/3 or something go finish up before I do!

Edit: Next time we have 3 or fewer entries we'll just do first and second, by the way.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  15. Ched

Fucking hell, this shit is like a 3-way fucking tie this time.

Entry #1 was a solid standalone entry that I felt had some slow parts, interesting abstract magic, and a full story arc.

Entry #2 was a standalone with reasonable prompt useage but of much narrower scope than entry #1, without the slow bits, and a quick read.

Entry #3 was my favorite until it ended rather abruptly, leaving me to feel it was halfway completed.

Even though I enjoyed #3 the most until the ending, I can't in good conscience award half a story a win over two entries that feel more complete. Of the two I felt that #1 did a slightly better job with the prompt, so I'll go for it.

I'm not going to link to my reviews because I'm running this thing so hahaha to you I'm lazy and the comp is now over! I'll be tallying soon.

MY PERSONAL RANKINGS
    #1 - Entry 1
    #2 - Entry 2
    #3 - Entry 3

Next time we have fewer than 4-5 entries we'll rank the top 2 instead of the top 3. All three entrants should be proud of themselves.

16. Ched

And the Winner is... #2!

My personal criteria for a 'runner-up' award is that second place must be closer to first place than third place is to second place. In this case it's tied and with only three entries... sorry, no official runner-up this time! Be pissed at me if you must - but go do it in the General Competition thread.

COMP scores.JPG
    Authors - feel free to go respond in your threads or claim your stories if you like. Once the new polls, etc. finish for the next competition I'll be locking these threads.