1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

(Readers' opinions) Vote for which ship you would like to see in an eventual time travel.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by YatoBrr, Apr 20, 2021.

?

(Readers' opinions) Vote for which ship you would like to see in an eventual time travel.

Poll closed Apr 27, 2021.
  1. Harry/Bellatrix Black

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Harry/Andromeda Black

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Harry/Narcissa Black

14 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Harry/Amelia Bones

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. YatoBrr

YatoBrr Squib

I'm working on a fanfic that involves time travel. (No Harry dying in the final battle and death simply offers a new chance, Voldemort has been dead for a long time here) And I need a fanfic pair! I have four options, and I'll let you choose!

2. TMD

TMD High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I find the lack of Harry/Molly Weasley, or /Rita Skeeter, or even /Apolline Delacour on your list a problem.

3. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

To be blunt, polls like this are not well received. Write what you want to write, and if you don't have a specific plan for a relationship, don't have one at all. Shoehorning one in is just pandering to shippers as are polls like this.

4. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

Where is Harry/Daphne ;-;

Harry/Narcissa is one we don't see much of, though Harry/Bellatrix probably has a bigger fanbase. Andromeda and Amelia Bones aren't spicy enough so they are out. Hmm...

5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  6. cucio

cucio Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Well, if you are determined to write Dodging Prison and Stealing MILFs, you might want to consider the immense potential for a riveting tale of revenge, redemption and moral conflict that a Harry Potter/Petunia Evans ship would have.

7. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I see Taure is a fellow man of culture.

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

In the interest of trying to give you a real answer for something I don't want to read...

Bellatrix is fucked up. I'm not interested in that and it would probably dominate the story, so if you don't want to write about Bellatrix and her problems then skip her.

Amelia Bones is my second choice but also the most boring one. Potentially the most believable though.

Andromeda and Ted are a solid couple in canon and I am loathe to break that up as they are already interesting enough and could serve as other characters in whatever you write.

Narcissa though? I'm still not into it, but here you have a woman who is wholly devoted to her family and - in particular - her son. She appears to genuinely love Draco and want to help him, and she appears to have Lucius' back when she can, and frankly that's the type of woman I could see Harry with. A devoted family member.

Granted she has her problems too but she's not as boring as Amelia would probably be, since Narcissa also has plenty of negative traits to balance out her devotion to family. It could be interesting.

But ultimately I'd listen @Erotic Adventures of S and not shoehorn a romance into a story that doesn't need one. Does it need one?

9. Goten Askil

Goten Askil Groundskeeper

You forgot to mention when he's leaving from and when he's arriving. You say "long after Voldemort died", but how long exactly? A year later after the dust settles and Harry's bored? When he's 25 and in his prime, or 150? Does the story occur during canon time? Marauder time during the first war? Pre-Marauders time when they're in school (cringe)? What body is he using, his old self? His young self? Someone else's? This kind of "details" can play into the pairing fitting your story best.

Without knowing all that, I will have to go with the OTP of all time-travel pairings: Harry/Ariana (which obviously is not cringe at all). When Harry prevents her death Dumbledore does not change his ways, and thus you can have Evil!Manipulative!Greater-Good!Dumbles while staying canon-compliant! How amazing.

More seriously, I'm adding my real vote to Ched and Erotic Adventures' "don't shoehorn romance if it doesn't need it."
    Frankly, I'm mystified that there could be a serious (read: not PWP) story that can go Harry/Bellatrix as easily as Harry/Amelia. Seems to me they would make for very different settings. So option one, you have one scenario that is empty enough to go both ways and a few others, and option two, you intend to build your story around the pairing, which is always a bad sign for non-romance plot.

Maybe you're of the rare few not from either category, but I thought I would elaborate on why this kind of poll is a bit of a red flag.

10. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So you're team Lily then? :sherlock:

11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Team “no ships need sail.”

Edit - where’d you get Lily from though in my response?

12. haphnepls

haphnepls Seventh Year

I think this is not the way to decide on pairing. Perhaps a way.

If you're writing romance, then it's fine, and you go with the pairing you want to explore, but if there's a larger plot of any other genre, the chosen pairing will influence it quite a lot - What I'm saying is that if you choose pairing before fleshing out the story, it will influence the main plot in a way that you'll need make Harry go through some sub-plot where he's about to meet your chosen lady.

Like, if it will be Hogwarts, dating Slytherin or Hufflepuff is one question, then you have other's perception of a relationship (which is usually bad in ff, if Slytherin is chosen). If at a later stage, Amelia will include some Auror work, whereas Black sisters will go through a route closer to Black family Malfoys or such, all depending on what you're about to write.

I just think if you start writing the story with a pairing in mind, it constantly blocks the natural flow of the story. IT would be one thing if you were dead set on a particular one because that would've shown us that you already have some plot in mind. This way, though, you'll have to adjust tens of thousands of words just to fit a pairing - which if not the idea of the story - is redundant.

Ultimately, write anything you want, but do focus on the main plot.

13. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I only ship Harry/Romilda, so I voted at random it landed on Bellatrix.