1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Red Dead Redemption

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Revenant, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Revenant

Revenant First Year

Surprised that this isn't up here already.
    http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/reddeadredemption/index.html

Beautiful graphics, lengthy open-world story, strong and innovative multiplayer and Rockstar. IMO, this could be a candidate for game of the year.
    Although it's announced only for consoles at the moment, I'm pretty sure it'll get a PC release as well.

Your views on this?

2. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Looks awesome. A couple of my friends and I already pre-ordered and can't wait to play the multiplayer. Here's hoping it's not a disappointment.

3. kevo125

kevo125 Second Year

Ive been waiting for this game since i first heard about it in, i think, February. Looks really good. Doesnt look like it'll disappoint or be too repetitive

4. charlie_tan

charlie_tan Muggle

A minor qualm is that the story is set in 1908 versus, say, between 1860-1880. I realize that they wanted it at the end of the cowboy era, but 1908 is just too late to make the claim that people were still on horseback and dealing with Indian attacks.

5. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

Red Dead Revolver was a great game for the PS2. I'll rent it, but I probably won't buy it.

Considering Ford's Model A wasn't made until 1903-1904, it's safe to assume that they hadn't quite gotten to the stage where everybody and their brother had a car. Only the wealthy could afford that kind of novelty. So horseback is more than justifiable at that time.

I've also heard of indian attacks early on in the 1900's. Not Sitting Bull or Crazy Horse style, but raids and the like.

It's the other way around, broham.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  6. ForsakenOne

ForsakenOne Groundskeeper

Very similar to Call of Juarez, looks awesome nonetheless.

7. Revenant

Revenant First Year

8. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Necro

One of the funnest games I've played on a console of this variety. (open world, sandbox type). The controls need some loving though, and they went out of their way to make the UI annoying with what it's missing. How do I know how good my current horse is? Why the hell do the horses move so stiffly. I've lost track the amount of times I've went to shoot a guy in the hand or the leg and somehow killed him despite it being a nonlethal shot. It wasn't until I got the lasso that I stopped killing everyone.

The shopping interface is annoying, the game not pausing when you try to switch weapons, the MOTHERFUCKING knife being auto equipped and staying equipped everytime you skin something. I keep getting jumped when I'm skinning by all sorts of shit, and there I am like an idiot swinging my knife at the goddamned cougars and I'm dead in 2 hits instead of switching back to my gun. And dear god the cutscenes. The nonstop cutscenes when you're skinning or looting. Fucking aggravating to the extreme. I won't even get into the riding forever to get to your next mission when you have to follow someone, god that gets old fast.

It's still not as bad as constantly having to have giant unskippable conversations with people before you get places, while you're trying to mash A like a speed freak to run or have your horse sprint. I swear to god I'm going to break my A button on this game. mash it nonstop to sprint, or don't and run slow as hell. The horses, mash it nonstop to get it to sprint at a good speed, stop when it tires out, make sure you watch that meter or it'll die, while you're trying to steer something with the finesse of the goddamned Titanic. Hunting is lulzy as well, trying to find rabbits in the brush was one of the most frustratingly insane gaming I've done in awhile, but finding snakes are even worse.

Other gripes include John dieing easy as hell despite needing headshots to take down his enemies in any quick fashion, falling deaths are always fun. Going through a cactus field and getting thrown off the horse because a cougar sneezed at it, and then nearly insta dieing as it's mate rapes my face makes me rage. I feel nervous when I hear one's cry, and anxious to gtfo of there. Nice to invoke that and all, but when it's something that cheap, I think you missed what you were going for.

And you know what? Despite those issues I have with it, I'm enjoying it more then I thought would be possible. The voice acting is in the top 5 of any game I've ever played, and aside from the faces all looking like absolute shit, the graphics are better then I've come to expect from console games. When the PC version comes out, and mods get make to fix the goddamned cutscenes and finetune the horses, I think this will rank in the top 10 as one of the best sandbox games ever made.

90/100

9. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Ironically, I found the poker minigame to be soo much funner than the main storyline in this game.

10. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

Once you get to the speed you want on a horse, you can hold 'A' and maintain that speed. Also, when following someone you can do the same and you auto follow them.

11. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Grand Theft Auto: Horse Edition.

It's kind of like Mafia 2, where you had to drive everywhere. Only so. Much. Worse.

12. Midknight

You mean with the constant remark looping, and the goddawful time it takes to do anything without mashing the RB?

Yes on the following. But with the A maintaining, if you go off the road even a millimeter the horse slows back down and you got to do it again. You still have to mash A like a retard to run anywhere.

Havent played Mafia 2 yet, but yeah there's a retarded amount of riding everywhere. And then the stuff where you have to ride for 4 or 5 minutes, and there's talking the entire time. That shit makes me rage, but it doesn't overcome how well the rest of the game is made. I'm still playing the hell out of it, despite the flaws, and to me that's amazing, cause I'm a picky bastard.

13. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I dunno, I dug it. Especially when you bankrupt everyone at the table.

14. Midknight

I just wish you could see the table cards without having to mash down LT. Stupid to make it so you can't see the table cards well. I wonder if the human players are supposed to have tells, since there's an option to look around the table.

I got stuck in a 30 minute back and forth earlier. I got the guy down to like 75 chips, and he'd bet the blind as needed, but if I raised even a chip, he'd fold. Took forever.

15. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Mid... you seem to mash keys either way a lot.

16. Midknight

Yeah I tend to do that, but I'm just saying I wish it flowed better. Nail RB to skip to your turn, it fades to black, fades back in, you see yourself, decide, hit confirm, cutscene, mash RB to skip to your turn. There's just too much cutscene type stuff clogging the entire game up in total.

I did read though that one of the DLC's enables multiplayer poker that supposed to flow better and be more enjoyable.

17. Midknight

Trying to figure this out. I fast traveled and went into Thieves Landing, where like half the town started unloading on me. Died, came back, same thing. Not everyone, but a good damned chunk. Wth gives?

18. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    High honor, IIRC. Happened to me from time to time.

19. Midknight

Lol, so they really don't like it if you're a good guy and you try to stay there? Shitty, Irish is in there somewhere and I have to play Liar's Dice.

20. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

A gang costume should work.