1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Regarding the "Neglected Stories Page"

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by neopyro, Sep 15, 2010.

1. neopyro

neopyro Third Year

So, I've been going through the Neglected Stories and reading those that sound tolerable. In my rummaging, I've come up with a few questions and comments about it, and had no idea of where to post them.

My main issue with it is that most of the stories I've found there are abandoned in the middle or fanfics that *barely* made the recycle bin. To put it simply, there's a reason they are neglected.

Which brings up several questions: Should the neglected stories list be used as a tool to locate stories that should no longer be in the library? Or could it be modified to ignore all stories with the "abandoned" tag to give DLPers more motivation to look through them?

There is also the issue of necro-ing. Should I still leave a detailed review/comment on the DLP page for the story, even if it hasn't been updated since 2005? Or should I rate it with the number of stars I think it deserves and leave it be?

Also, some of the stories had pages of discussion on them and plenty of comments but had somehow gotten flagged by the Neglected Stories List. Is number of posts a factor in flagging stories for the NSL?

Maybe I just haven't looked at enough stories from the list, but as of right now it appears as though there is a trend.

2. Agravaine

Agravaine Seventh Year

I'm going to chime in and ask the correct way to report dead story links (I've found a few in the library archives). Bumping the thread seems unintuitive if I can't provide an alternate link, but I'm not sure if I should use the report function or PM a specific moderator or do something else entirely.

3. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I'm not a moderator (and I defer to any mods who wish to offer better advice), but I'd suggest PM to a mod who is active and who has purview over the Library. Do a good-faith effort to locate the fic; if it's not anywhere, send a brief PM noting the story's present ranking, its number of posts, and comment that the story isn't likely to get many more of either if it can't be located.

Also, don't pester an Admin--they have too much on their plates as is.

4. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I know next to nothing about how the big bad world of forum authority works, but I think that these are the ones you'll want to get in touch with:

Sree, I LOVE GINNY, nonjon, LT2000, Jon, Tinn Tam

5. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Well...

I LOVE GINNY isn't around much,
    nonjon joined the Army and is stationed in Afghanistan,
    Tinn Tam is out torturing her patients...

Best bets are Sree, LT2k, or Jon

Okay, I might be speculating a little on one of them...

6. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Holy shit...I can't see Nonjon with a shaved face - the army would have made him shave during training.

OP~

Detailed reviews are helpful if you feel like writing them. They will often motivate another reader to look at the story and comment yay or nay.

Dead links should be reported to the mods of the library section.

Good point about 'abandoned' stories, probably need to kick that up to Raven and the admins.

If you can understand Asgard, Zevrillion is always happy to help.

7. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wait, the fuck? Nonjon joined the Army? When the hell did this happen?

8. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Pers, trolling DLP since Nov, 2007...

9. neopyro

neopyro Third Year

Well, I know nonjon hasn't posted anything new recently. Not since April of last year, actually...

Edit: and there I go, accidentally skimming over the most relevant post in the thread. Thanks Nuhuh. I'll work on reviews for the fics I just read. If someone Q-Qs at me for necroing a post, I fully expect for you to show up and stomp on them.

Thanks, all!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  10. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Holy shit, Nonjon's in Afghanistan?!

Other than that, I also remember a couple of members who used to leave detailed reviews, if the story was terribad, they'd recommend in the thread, and maybe via PM, to be put back into the "For Review" forum to see whether it stays or goes.

I personally think that way works the best.

11. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'm around a bit, so if those people don't respond, you can always send me the dead links list... D: