1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Reprisal (Hulu)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Gaius, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Gaius

Gaius Fifth Year

Has anyone watched the show Reprisal on Hulu? If so, what did you think? I just finished the first season, which was released in December. It’s pretty addicting and the visual aesthetic and the world of the show are great. Plus the female lead (Doris/Katherine) is compelling.

The premise of the show is that there are these gangs that operate independently outside of the law, have their own settlements, and have income through their bar and entertainment at their establishment called a Bangarang. The lead of the show was betrayed by her brother (the leader of the gang), her husband, and another lieutenant and wants (you got it) reprisals.

The aesthetic of the show is pretty neat, with a definite 50s vibe. The gangs drive modified old school cars or motorcycles. There are cellphones but tech seems to have been kept at mid-20th c. CE. The gangs have fantastical names like the Banished Brawlers, Happiness Ghouls, and The Monster Ring.

Some of the plot points of the show are a bit contrived and seem derived from Sons of Anarchy, ie revised gang history gets uncovered plus plenty of violence.

I think it would be an interesting world to set a fic in because it is sort of 50s-ish and there could easily be an introduction of the fantastical from the in-world names (ghouls, monsters) and how remote the gangs are from the outside world.