1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Rocket League

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Uncle Stojil, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

You get better with time..its just a matter of getting used to the mechanics and timing of the ball.

Also just a little tip..try and avoiding going for every single ball..be smart about it and if you have teammates let them make the first try at the ball before you do.

This way you can get the ball if they miss..which is often or if they do hit you'll have enough time to evaluate where the ball is going and make a follow up.

Simply..stay back and be patient.

2. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

I got to Gold I for Doubles, Silver III for Standard and Silver II (although I lost it soon after) for Duel. Now I have a decent success rate with aerial shots (as in I almost always hit, but sometime not exactly like I want to) and I'm trying to get better at wall-shots and dribbling (that's why I started to play 1v1 again).

For 3v3 and in a more limited fashion 2v2, I suggest you learn about the rotation (roughly explained here). Not everyone knows it or knows how to do it, especially at low ranks, but it's the best way to proceed imho, not only because that's how you play at higher ranks, but also because you'll get to practice pretty much every role.

---------- Post automerged at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

I got to Gold I for Doubles, Silver III for Standard and Silver II (although I lost it soon after) for Duel. Now I have a decent success rate with aerial shots (as in I almost always hit, but sometime not exactly like I want to) and I'm trying to get better at wall-shots and dribbling (that's why I started to play 1v1 again).

For 3v3 and in a more limited fashion 2v2, I suggest you learn about the rotation (roughly explained here). Not everyone knows it or knows how to do it, especially at low ranks, but it's the best way to proceed imho, not only because that's how you play at higher ranks, but also because you'll get to practice pretty much every role.

3. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

Top Goals of the Week #9.

Top Saves of the Week #9.

Touched Gold II in Doubles and Gold I in Standard, but lost both again. I'll try again tomorrow.

On the other hand, I got Silver III for Duel and I can honestly say, 1v1 is really amazing to hone your skill and, more importantly, your decision-making and boost management. I definitely recommend it if you want to improve more quickly, even though I have much more fun in 2v2 and 3v3. 4v4... heh, it's nice every once in a while but fuck, it's called Chaos for a reason.

4. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

2v2 is a hell of a lot of fun, way more than 3v3. Teamwork is easier with less people to worry about, and the extra space can make for some fun plays.

I can also attest to the fact that playing 1v1 is a great way to hone your skills. I hit literal rock bottom a few weeks back and couldn't pull myself out; once you're that low, 3v3 games turn on how good you are more than anything else. I started doing 1v1s to improve, and it worked. Today I've (finally) pulled myself out of the unwashed masses of Unranked today.

Having that Bronze soccer ball next to Solo 3v3 feels so good.

Gibbs, one of the best players in the world, started a series on youtube where he comments on games of Solo 3v3 while he is playing.

5. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

When done right, 3v3 is the best mode, imo, both to play and to watch. It has a faster pace, more chances of team play, setting up, defensive plays and demolitions, and less chances of being punished for things that go beyond a simple mistake.

That series by Gibbs is great and I recommend it, too, but right now, if you're interested, MLG finals, Flipsid3 Tactics vs. Swarm Gaming, an all European best-of-seven series to decree the best team in the world (Gibbs' squad was eliminated in a first-round upset). You can watch it here.

6. Feoffic

I caught the last two rounds, and holy shit, Flipsid3 dominated that last round.

7. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

Those guys are so gooooood. Kuxir the Italian wizard pulls out the most insane moves and Mike just rules. But Marky is the engine, with the super smart plays that make eveything work for Flipsid3. I wish MLG would do a more "professional" job, with stats and graphics, because I would be super curious to see his Assist numbers on this tournament, for example. He's the least flashy (although that dribble on the last goal <3) and yet the best, imo.

---------- Post automerged at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

Sorry for the double-post, but the (arguably?) 4 best teams in the world (at least the best 2 from Europe and the best 2 from the US) are about to play in a tournament. You can catch it here. First up: VQ Untethered vs. Swarm Gaming.

8. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

The new and improved Rocket Royal tournament is here. Check out the best 8 teams in the world battling it out. They're all really good and the casting is nice (both camerawork and commentary).

9. Feoffic

I'm having one hell of a slump right now. I almost got into Bronze III before three games timed out in the middle, and I've lost almost all games since then. I've stabilized at around 150, but jeezus is that a drop from where I was yesterday.

Guess it's back to 1v1s for now.

10. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

I feel you. Last night I got to Gold III in Standard for the first time, then plummeted down to mid 800 with a losing streak. It can be a grind sometimes, but I don't play for the rank (not really) so I don't get discouraged too much and when I get back to it, I at least recover what I lost, usually.

Today's the day of the new Rocket Royale, which can be watched live on twitch at 5:00 PM GMT. Last week's games can be found on youtube here.

A DLC came out recently, with new cosmetic items, new maps (sort of) and new cars (Zippy and Scarab) in Revenge of the Battle-Cars.

A car pack was released as well and now you can play the freaking Delorean from Back to the Future.

Also, some special Halloween-themed comsetic items are and will be available for a limited time.

As for some top tens:

Top Goals of the Pre-Season

Top Goals of the Week #10

11. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

12. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Brilliant strategy, really.

I'm sure the hardcore players never stopped playing, but maybe they noticed a falloff from the casuals and had this up their sleeve for that eventuality.

I know I've been dying for a low gravity mode for ages!

13. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I came into this thread expecting a cool new pokemon mod.

Still seems cool and I'll check it out but... damn.@

14. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

New Rocket Royale in about 30 minutes. You can find it here. The best teams in the world (minus some because of missing players and such) with some drama and salt added to it. A must watch! :p

15. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

The mutators are up. Pinball, Cube, Time Warp and much more (custom made game-mods).

16. Feoffic

Season 2 has started and I like a lot of the changes. The new ranking system is working very well for me; I haven't had a bad game since my qualifying matches were over. I like the reporting feature a lot (though reddit is oddly not a fan). The only change I don't like is that Wasteland was added to the competitive map rotation, and that is only because I'm not used to it yet.

17. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Anyone have any crates that they're not going to open? I'd appreciate them.

18. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

Sure. I'll trade them for keys or painted stuff. ^^

19. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

If anyone gets any Overdrive crates that they arent interested in opening, hit me up!