1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Romance of the age

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by entropy843, Apr 20, 2020.

1. entropy843

entropy843 First Year

Title:Romance of the age
    author:nimmieamee
    Genre:not sure
    pairing:some canon pairings in the background,but the story is not about pairing
    Link https://archiveofourown.org/works/638325

Summary:The rise of Severus Snape, who was born miserable and low and had nowhere to go, really, but up.

Author's note:This owes themes, motifs, and entire lines to Evelyn Waugh's Vile Bodies. The "hostage" line is straight from Nancy Mitford's Love in a Cold Climate. "The male" is taken from the real-life Mitfords, as is the notion of all the Blacks having ridiculous nicknames. Granfalloon is from Vonnegut. Fight scenes are, as always, riffs on Jules Feiffer.

A rather long oneshot about the first wizarding war. After the romance of an entire generation,not much is left. The narrative has a bit bizarre touch to it.

2. M.L.

M.L. Groundskeeper

Someone has been reading The Great Gatsby... or maybe Clockwork Orange... actually having a tough time trying to pin down who its trying to imitate. It isn’t awful, certainly hs its charm, but The prose wore on me, and I couldn’t finish. Not going to rate it because of that.

3. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Anymore to be said about this one so I can sort it properly?

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

There are bits and pieces in this one that make me slightly nostalgic for canon, like this description:
    But for the most part the writing in this is lazy and some of the dialogue feels like people are talking just to talk.

I found it difficult to read and rather boring/annoying in parts.

I didn’t quite finish it.

This story has a certain feel to it that makes me think it’s trying to mimic something. The authors note copied in the OP confirms this (I’d missed it before). The result is that it feels very forced.

1.5/5 rounded up.

5. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm not convinced on this one. I really can't tell what the point of it is supposed to be. There's definitely a few bits that catch the echo of canon, in terms of style. But the author also seems to veer into more...I think maybe Pratchett style in his writing, which just sort jars with the content of the fic.

I've never heard of the work that its trying to imitate, so I can't comment on whether its successful. All I know is I genuinely don't recommend bothering to read this.

2/5

6. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I actually enjoyed this quite a bit for some reason. Maybe it’s because I just completely ignored the author’s note etc I ended up thinking this was a pretty original style. I’d say it’s an easy 4/5.