1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Rome Total War - Succession Campaign

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Feoffic, Mar 24, 2011.

?

Which mod of RTW should be used?

Poll closed Apr 23, 2011.
  1. DarthMod

27.3%
  2. Rome Total Realism

36.4%
  3. Europa Barbarorum

27.3%
  4. Terrae Expugnande

9.1%
  1. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

The general idea is that you get a bunch of people, pick a faction, then have one person start playing the game until the in-game faction leader dies, then have that person send the save file down the line until the game finishes.

Really simple, really fun, and totally worth the hours of screaming and yelling when the next person in line totally screws up your long-term plans by auto-calcing the battles instead of playing them out like a man.

The only issue being that everyone has to have the same version of RTW for the save file to work, hence the poll.

Links to some info on the Mods.

Terrae Expugnande

Rome Total Realism
    Europa Barbarorum
    DarthMod

So, anyone interested?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  2. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Europa Universalis: Rome was here, Rome: Total War is a faggot.

That said, Total Realism is the superior choice.

Edit: Okay, to clarify my position here... Rome: Total War is a fun game, but the AI is to simple for succession games to be any fun or any challenge. It'll just be a matter of trying to decide who to stomp first, and there's no real choices to make beyond that.

The Paradox games would be better, especially as a lesser power - the always-shifting political landscape in those games makes for a constant challenge with myriad choices to make, unless you do something boring like starting as England and rushing for America.

And I gotta disagree with pegging player control to ruler lifespan - even if the option of manually designating an heir isn't taken, rulers can start anywhere from age 16 to well over the age where yearly old-age checks start getting rolled. One player might have control of Rome for a good sixty years, while the next might only have it for less than a decade.

3. Aurion

Aurion Headmaster

An underrated good feature of R:TW is the ability to choose your faction heir.

Shame CA ditched it in their more recent ones. It's easy enough to get around the ruling-for-ten-years quandry. Just ensure that the heir isn't ancient.

4. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

From memory, by the time the Roman Empire was truly on the up-and-up, every city was so profitable that spending a single turn in one would dump fifty traits along the lines of 'Fatty' and 'Manslut' and 'Big-Ass Coward' on any given leader, and being within line of sight of a sea vessel would immediately slap him with the morale-decimating Huge Homo trait. So the only way to have a faction leader that wasn't an overfed oversexed overpaid homo was to wait for some promising young general to be married or adopted into the family and immediately start grooming him for leadership.

...which, from what I understand, is pretty damn historically accurate. Well played, Creative Assembly.

5. Feoffic

It's what makes succession games so much fun, imho, but it is a valid concern.

If someone had a short time to play-say less than 20 years?-I would not be against them continuing to play as the next faction leader.

6. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I picked the game up on the steam sale recently for 2,50€ and am currently playing the normal standard campaign.
    It seems very easy. I'm playing less than a third of Rome and I'm in the process of completely stomping Carthage. This shouldn't be happening.
    Will there be hard events later that spawn huge rebellions? Should I have started on a harder difficulty level? Or should I just use a mod?

7. Feoffic

The vanilla version of the game is really easy, even on the harder difficulties, which is part of the reason why there were so many mods made for RTW.

8. Audeamus

Audeamus Sixth Year

I'm up for it if it's Rome Total Realism. DarthMod just never clicked for me so I'll probably skip out if that one wins.

9. Feoffic

May as well start this now...

So which faction should we play as? I'm pretty much open to any of them.

10. Audeamus

Audeamus Sixth Year

I'd guess the trademark of this title: Rome.

11. Feoffic

Welp, looks like RTR is the winner.

If anyone is still interested, post now so we can move forward with this. Also, suggest a faction for us to play as; I pick Macedon.