1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Rumours of a live action Harry Potter series for HBO Max

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mordecai, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As the title says, there's rumours that something is in the very early stages of production.

No info on what the setting or plot would be for it. There's a few interesting directions they could take it, but there's also a lot of things they could do with it that would put me off.

Personally I think I'd quite like a gritty, dark thriller/action series set during Voldemort's rise. Either that, or pre-Fantastic Beasts so we can see what happened in Europe during WW1 with the wizarding world.

I doubt we'll see that though, I reckon it'll be something more like a Hogwart's based Marauders era show (high school rom com set against the back drop of a civilisation in conflict), or post-books with Harry and Ron at the Ministry.

What would you ideally like to see done for the series? And what do you think they're likely to actually do with it?

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Voldemort’s rise is probably the best bet for a series. Series finale could be LV leaving to go to the Potter’s house (to kill Harry).

Honestly I’d also enjoy a retelling of the books that do a better job than the movies. But given the difficulty in finding quality child actors (they exist but only so many) I doubt that’s on the table.

Next Gen is possible but meh.

The Founders Era and early days of Hogwarts? Eh?

3. Methuselah Honeysuckle

Methuselah Honeysuckle Squib

Let's just hope it's not another woke fanfic.

4. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd go for a retelling of the original series or for something that far out of left field, like the game's going to be.

Wouldn't really enjoy a Marauder's Era run, but maybe that's just cause I got tired of it quickly in fanfic form.

5. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I can't see something set in dark ages Britain really be as big of a draw as other settings.

Although maybe a single episode would work. Maybe that'd be an interesting series, entry episode covering a different major event in wizarding history, starting with the founding of Hogwarts?

I doubt the show will be a "woke fanfic"...especially given that it'll be canon.

6. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

Yeah, nobody likes that shit.

On topic, they could probably do a really great series on Snape’s fall to the dark side. It likely won’t happen, but I’d watch that.

7. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

There are lots of potential stories that could work, but I really dont see any TV show having a budget high enough to potray Harry Potter adequately on a long term basis

Even high budget shows like Game of Thrones had to cut a lot of stuff out because of the cost.

I fear that it'll become like a cw show, mainly focused on relationship drama and finsing as many excuses as possible to not need to show magic.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  8. KGB

KGB Headmaster

I would prefer an adventure show. Perhaps Harry and Ron's Auror adventures. Lunas Grand Snorkack Hunt. Hermione gets trapped in the library and must find her way out.

Hell if they want to go epic let them grab jbern and make live action Bungle in the jungle.

Frankly I just want it to be fun, not some dark and dreary show that is a bit of a chore to watch.

9. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Yeah, I'd like a post-series, pre-next-gen, personally. Just modern day urban fantasy with canon character cameos.

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Obviously the show must focus on the Lords and Ladies of the Wizengamot, their families and scandals, with a particular focus on the primary canon ship, charting the courtship of Daphne Bridgerton Greengrass and Duke Lord Potter-Black.

11. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

The Erotic Adventures of Argus Filch

12. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I don't think you can really one-up Voldemort, the way his character is set up. I would prefer to watch something that went on in a different part of the world, because the creators would get to come up with their own characters and lore.

13. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd rather see an animated version of the books, like the animation used in Marvel's upcoming "What If...?" show.

14. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Buddy comedy a la HIMYM / Friends centered around the Marauders in their last years of Hogwarts and then after, ending with the birth of Harry.

I'd watch the shit out of that.

15. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Anything prequel-y set around Britain and the plot of the books? Not interested.

Rehash? Not interested.

Post books? Not interested.

I think I'm starting to realize I've grown out of canon HP lol...

Maybe I could fuck with a separate story that has nothing to do with anyone from canon in another part of the world. Like, what's magical Asia, Africa or the Middle East like?

I have zero interest in learning more about canon characters. I just don't care enough to even watch.

16. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Give me Bill Weasley, magic Indiana Jones adventures.

17. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    OR that without Bill Weasley. :p

18. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

The only thing I really DON’T want to see is post-canon Harry, Ron, or Hormone. Unless maybe they’re really old and not the main characters.

19. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is what I hope for but don't expect.

One season per book, and seasons scaled appropriately in lengths for the each book. So maybe 4 or 5 hours (as in 4 or 5 one hour episodes) for book one going up to something like 25 hours for book 7.

I actually wouldn't mind if they mixed things up too and reimagined Harry Potter instead of doing the books scene by scene. Just as long as they completely avoid any mainstream fanfic tropes.

You're right about actors. Either scour the UK for the best and brightest who happen to be the right age, or grab actors a few years older and just pretend they are younger.

20. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Please Don't Be Cursed Child. Please Don't Be Cursed Child. Please Don't Be Cursed Child. Please Don't Be Cursed Child.