1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete RuneMaster by Tigerman - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Skeletaure, Jul 22, 2009.

1. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

I stopped reading when he removed the "dark rune" from Mrs Black thus making her good. Fail.

2. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

What? Now I won't even read it. Fuck.

3. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

Over all I think this fic is deserving of a 3/5. It flows well and ignoring some minor spelling and grammar errors, not to mention the whole Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii thing from Hermione, it definitely isn't one of the worst fanfics. The whole relationship with Fleur is great, quite possibly one of my favorite Harry/Fleur stories of recent memory. I have a love-hate relationship with the runes. I like what Harry does with them and their half-assed explanation is more than any other RuneMaster!Harry fics i can think of provide. On the other hand it came waaaaay to easy, 2 years of reading and practicing and he's already doing things that adult wizards in the field never dreamed of? Then again whats wrong with a little bit of Super!Harry! At least I don't get bored reading about his runic magic. And I find that with out it the story would be quite bland.
    Also the whole 1st task was pretty decent. Yeah haters will say that Harry making a dragon cower before him is kinda too far out there but hey to each his/her own.
    The final couple of chapters do seem a bit rushed though, but by then I was already having a decent enough time reading that I just kept going.

All in all it's nothing to run home and tell your mother about, but if you've got nothing better to do give it a shot.

4. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Hated it. Couldn't past the first few chapters.

I don't really care about Ron one way or the other, but when he starts acting OOC as in this story, without an explanation, just because the author doesn't want him to get in the way of H/Hr, I just can't read it.

You can write him whichever way you want, but develop him to get there, don't expect the reader to not ask any questions about the sudden personality change.

I really don't understand why Harmonians have this need to turn everything personal, and are unable to write fics without resorting to these gimmicks. I guess it's the same problem that lead them to believe their ship was gonna happen in canon in the first place. Mike Smith is right, H/Hr is the SSJ3 Goku > Mystic Gohan of this fandom.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  5. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

... I thought it was pretty obvious from the beginning it wouldn't be H/Hr.

Yeah, the Story is bad, but it's not just Ron. Every characterization is stupid, from Harry to Fleur passing by Ron and Hermione.

Also, it's so far more R/Hr than HHr.

6. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

An interesting divergence from canon and an interesting idea. I found this one interesting for the first few chapters. Though it got slightly irritating towards the last few chapters, still a decent read. 4/5

7. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was really able to get into it, the first fic in a while that kept my attention and drew me in completely. Well worth reading. 4/5

8. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Loooooooong annoyance words, crappy writing and sucky characterization. Any sort of ambient mood is totally killed.

While the execution is poor, the idea wasn't bad. I'm a sucker for rune!Harry stories myself. Not having a set ship, and pretty much fooling the jaded 'there is a scene about a female, it must be a pairing' readers was nice. It was honestly a pleasant surprise. While Super!Harry is a bit over-the-top at times, it was decent enough to read. A dragon familiar, really? Completely creating new type of magic, it instantly being so much superior to previous means? Magicing up muggle crap? Then again, it can be painful aswell.

My main annoyance is the 'runic puzzle mind' HP just got. It's like chess = Ron must be an awesome strategist here! Though Ron became an official sidekick here o.o'

It started 2/5, but I grew up liking it enough in the end to rate it 3/5. Honestly, I was even looking forward to another chapter. Then again, I was desentized enough, and bored out of my skull.

9. Vegemeister

Vegemeister Seventh Year

I couldn't even get past the second chapter. This is an abomination. H/Hr or not, it possesses that stilted dialogue and broken characterization common in die-hard shipping stories. Take a look at this little gem:

"Shame on you, then, Hermione." Said Harry, serious. His friend didn't expected that. She looked at him, not understanding and kind of hurt.

"He's calling you a Mudblood." He slowly said, their group managing to escape Flitwick's vigilance. "A Mudblood. Meaning your blood is full of mud. You can live with that? Okay. But what about your parents?"

"My parents?" she squealed.

"Yes. 'Blood' also mean your direct lineage. Your parents. Your sisters and brothers. Your grandparents, uncle and aunts. He's calling them a puddle of mud. And that your blood comes from that mud. How would your parents like to be the cause of prejudice toward you? What if they learned of it? Will they feel ashamed for not being magical? How would they look upon you, brave Gryffindor, who won't even fight?"

Hermione's head was low and she looked really pained. She was shaking with rage. Having all the basic meaning of those insults she bore for far too long hit her heavier than the first time she had them directed her way.

"That worm is going to pay," she whispered harshly. "I can't believe I blinded myself so much for the sake of not causing trouble. You're right. This is a matter of Gryffindor pride. Family pride. It is not an empty or sinful concept. It is based on the love of our family. I'll do it. But I'm not too enthusiastic about stealing from professor Snape again…"

Don't let your children read this fic. Heck, don't let your wife, dog, neighbor or son-in-law read it either. It's that bad.

1/5

10. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Vegemeister nailed it. While apparently I was wrong about it being H/Hr, it had so many of th hallmarks of that ship at its worst that I just couldn't keep reading. The trio dynamics seemed to be taken right from one.

11. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

I dropped it after the second time Harry used family to guilt-trip his friends. Preachy!Harry? No thanks.

12. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

I actually quite enjoyed this fic. The writing is nothing special, but the ideas are decent and even pretty original and this is still heaps better than the majority of the new fics out there.

I especially liked the trio dynamics. I thought that this was going to be mindless Ron bashing, but the author surprised me completely. And rune's are pretty cool.

I would give it 4/5, but there are enough grammar mistakes to drop it to 3/5.

13. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    WOW...

This one is a Reeeeal peace of work, and I honestly wonder how anyone could possibly rate it with anything above 2/5.

It's not just the execution, nor is the poor dialog but rather the insufferable, moral-preaching!Harry.

Half-way through the first chapter, I hit the red button and came back to read the posts in this thread, and because of the few odd ratings above 4 I decided to try once more.
    I skipped most of the part where Harry is using the twins' mother to guild -forced them into studying and not skipping classes... What!?
    Then I barely resisted hitting the red button once again, at this:

... "too young"... Seriously?!

By this point, I couldn't help it but build up the author's real person image in my head, and what a surprise when he turned out to be one of those annoyingly righteous, and self-imported pompous pricks, whom everybody avoid for the reason of not being able to stand them for more than a minute.

And despite my better judgment, because of the following comment:

... I continue reading further down chapter one, to come to a scene where Harry uses the spell "Riddikulus"(I wonder if it was misspelled on purpose?!) on the Malfoy boy.
    Now I usually don't go nitpicking for every possible small detail but I couldn't help but recall the explanation of the spell being that it causes the Boggart to assume a form that is humorous to the caster.

Keeping that in mind, we check on the result Harry's spell had on our resident "bully":
    ... tight, revealing leather suit.... TIGHT, REVEALING LEATHER SUIT... WITH ASS-FREE TIGHT SHORTS....

and that gents is the authors idea of humorous image....

Now my visual image of the author's persona got upgraded to one of those self-harming lunatics who get off when being whipped by women who they call "Mom"...

FAIL/5

14. jaspernoone

jaspernoone First Year

psiHary got this right mostly.

If, and a very big stress on the word if, you are ignorant to the crap and just general crap this story has at parts (harry gets ridden by fleur is its only redeeming quality other then the whole runic!masterHARRY!!!) then maybe you can actualy get through it and enjoy it slightly. But you must be in the right mood and not care all that much.

15. royalduke

royalduke Backtraced

This is a very good read, i would rate it 5/5, it seems that the author hasn't updated in a long time.

16. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Royalduke, eventually you're going to learn that paint chips and power lines aren't toys to be sticking in your mouth, but until then, I'm going to just condemn you as a massive troll, a ridiculous tool, and an ignorant little shit.

Preachy!Harry, ridiculous characterization, and the story more and more resembles a confused clusterfuck in which even I can't extract any semblence of rationality.

Sorry, Taure, not one of your better recs - at all. 1.5/5, and it barely deserves that.

17. e1

e1 Third Year

DLP rant + New update

LOL.

18. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

He should have his beta check his rant over more thoroughly.

Alright, the spelling and grammar errors have gotten even worse. Much worse. And would someone tell me why the *fuck* every 2-3 fanfic authors insist on bringing Star Wars into HP? I'm dropping this one like a inbred hillbilly hooker with crabs.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  19. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Meh. this fic gets a 5/5 from me, as I took it upon myself, after reading that latest mess of a chapter, to beta his next one. He agreed. So it will probably come some time in the next couple of days, when I send it to him. And it hopefully will be better than the previous one.

20. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

The rant fails in ways that the fic could only dream of doing.

With that said, this 2.5/5 fic has been on my little list of "guilty pleasures" for a while. I know that I shouldn't be reading it at all, but watching the author come up with new ways to fail amuses me.