1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Sid Meier’s Civilization VI

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Gizmore, May 11, 2016.

1. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I'll probably just end up waiting for the expansions to all come out and fix the game before I spend the money.

2. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I won't be buying the new civ game when it first comes out. For one, I barely play the civ game I already have, and also the 'new' civs (meaning only a small fraction of the civs already available to me in V) don't strike me as interesting or something I strongly identify with. Maybe once there are some native american civs but this game (base) seems so incredibly euro-centric as to be insulting. Unless the mechanical system is so much more engaging than the V system I don't really see the point in switching games, losing lots of content for a side-step on graphics and a whole new system to learn.

3. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

I don't even want to know what it says about me when I generally tend to favour The Aztecs, The Zulu and The Assyrians.

I'll probably wait with this game, too, and see if the online feature works or not. If it's as huge a pile of shit as in Civ 5, I may not get it.

4. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'm definitely going to get it. I'm rather excited to try out the new mechanics - from what I've heard, the city planning aspects of the game are quite a huge change, and it definitely appeals to the citybuilder in me. I like the new art style too.

TotalBiscuit posted a pretty positive review of the game recently: [link]

His review boils down to saying that it's actually quite a significant evolution of the Civilisation series - the changes impact gameplay significantly, and it doesn't feel like an underdeveloped game compared to the predecessors with expansion packs, unlike the previous games.

5. JErosion

JErosion DA Member

After watching a couple of Lets Plays from Arumba, I find myself really wanting to get this one. Watching Quill18's lets play had the opposite effect. Both of them have been playing as Rome. Maybe its Quill's play style that doesn't sit well with me.

6. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The district system looks like it's almost lifting straight from Endless Legends. I haven't watched the Vods that came out since the NDA lifted but the district system and them not being as punishing to early aggression/having more than 4 cities is not enough of a driving force for me to get the game. Having in game 'reaction' events like Stellaris isn't innovative or impressive either.

But I will admit that the complete lack of non-aztec native american civs is probably the most important thing that makes me not interested. Of all of the civs that i've seen (which to my knowledge is all of the ones in the game except Russia) I would only consider playing the US or japanese civs.

7. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

1385 respectable hours playing Civ 5.

Not too long now... :D

"This game will unlock in approximately 16 hours."

Anyone wanna get together and play some multiplayer while we all still suck?

ps get Oment before he gets you...

8. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I'd be up for a game this weekend, Sunday works for me.

9. Dreamweaver Mirar

Dreamweaver Mirar Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

My Mom is trying to get me to go hiking in Maine with her this weekend. I'm like... but new game D:

10. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

Go hiking with her, the fucking game can wait a couple of days.

11. Dreamweaver Mirar

Don't worry, I was planning to. It's tempting to stick around, but as you said, the game will still be there. Decent weather won't be.

12. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

My boyfriend preordered the game for me and himself. I've been waiting for months! It's one of the few brands I adore.

I had to laugh though. I am insanely busy for the next couple of weeks. I have tonight and Sunday night to play and that is it till mid November.

Friday night I leave for my boyfriend's parents for his birthday.
    Saturday night is a Halloween party.
    Sunday/Monday is work, errands and getting things ready for...
    COSTA RICA!

Yep. International vacation time. I plan on playing civ on the plane if my laptop can handle it.

Then I come back almost two weeks later, stay a day or two and then have to go fly to DC for work. o_o

I'm so busy but i can't necessarily complain. I have a feeling Thanksgiving weekend is just going to be play civ EVERYDAY.

Still. Super excited. It looks amazing.

13. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Amazon hasn't even shipped the copy a friend bought for me as a gift a few weeks ago, yet. Shipped his copy today, though, which is still late for being able to play at release for him.

14. Dreamweaver Mirar

Yeah, I just checked and my copy (of the 25th anniversary edition) is expected on Tuesday from Amazon.

I asked customer support and they said the number of copies they'd gotten hasn't been enough. I was gonna cancel the order and get a downloadable version, but they offered me an extra 20% off.

Dunno if I still should...

Especially since I have a 3 day weekend this week.

---------- Post automerged at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

Maybe I should buy another copy and save the anniversary edition as a xmas present for my little brother?

15. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I got to play for three hours last night. Here are my initial impressions.

- The game is quite smooth. I'm not sure how exactly to explain it, but it feels so much smoother than Civ 5. Everything works together quite well and responds very quickly.

- Districts and buildings are pretty much amazing. I love trying to plan out my cities to get the best perks. I have no idea what I am doing and I love it. I also love housing and having to keep up with that rather than just having a population based on food.

- You settle way more cities, and are supposed to. It's great.

- Combat is changed and I prefer it. I feel like I'm making less errors this way.

- AI improvements for sure. I was playing on Prince and barely holding my own.

That being said, there are still balancing issues that I hope will be fixed in upcoming patches. The two big ones are:

1) The tech tree, namely science, needs to be balanced in terms of production. City production is incredibly slow compared to how fast you generate science. I've seen, and experienced this. It is common to have finished the tech tree by 1800s and still have cities trying to build buildings from two tech levels back. Science victories are probably too easy.

Then again, maybe I'm doing this wrong as I love my eras longer. I was a fan of the extended eras mod in Civ 5 and I hope something like that is created for Civ 6.

2) The AI is... interesting. While I do think it is smarter, it is also almost too aggressive. I have yet to have a single civ even like me. I have already been declared on four times, from three different civs, and I'm not sure why. The only reason I am surviving is because I'm on Prince. I've seen players like Quill18 get wiped out on the higher levels in 30 turns.

I like the balance of requiring building units, as I was bad about that in previous games. I also like the war system they have in place. I just think its too easy to anger civs and too hard to make friends with anyone.

16. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I played a couple of hours yesterday and I am definitely enjoying it.

I'm the kind of person that loves the start of these games, but gets to the mid game, gets bored, and then eventually ends up starting a new game. This was mainly because of just how boring multiple cities got. Thus, I am loving the new district system, first game and I've already got 4 cities, which is more than I usually ever go for.

17. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Just saved ad put on pause an eight hour multiplayer game with three friends(or rather, two and a friend of one of them). Randomed as India, and just ended up doing a Faith based game, spreading my Moogleism(word play, and referential).

I'm really liking how terrain plays into District, and especially Wonder placement.

Only have three Faith, two Campus, an Encampment and an Industrial district at the moment. Other players are heavy Industry and Science for one, and another guy who basically just has a bunch of Commercial districts who is earning more than twice as much as anybody else.

In regards to Faith, while I am behind AI Brasil (~170 income) with my roughly 130, and one of the other players has about 80, the rest are all sub 10, with a few even sub 5. Heck, the Commercial district guy only has Faith income because of trading with me!

Barring a civ-specific specialty(random civs), I think I might go for a Culture-focused game next time to see how that goes.

18. Tutorial Boss

Tutorial Boss Seventh Year

I'm really liking how drastic strategies can vary for each faction.

USA/England operate fairly similarly, as a mid-game powerhouse of empire-building. My favorites currently are probably Greece (both of them) and China. Greece's Wild Card is just so powerful all throughout the game, and I love the culture bonus if you go Sparta for wiping barbs and combat, which is competitive throughout the entire game.

China plays very interestingly; you want to leverage the early game to get a wonder advantage, which is very possible with your powerhouse builders (especially if you get Pyramids) and the Great Wall is a versatile and interesting option.

I want to like Germany and Rome, but I prefer tall empires in general, which seems a bit harder here. Japan looks cool, but the building and leader ability are all meh.

Also Arabians are fucking amazing.

19. Dryden

Dryden First Year

I've always found Civ games to be very satisfying, but Civ 6, especially for a vanilla release, really sets the bar. (How's that for a comma monstrosity?)

Loving the unstacked cities too. I agree with the previous complaints that science seems a little too strong and city production, esp. development, probably too weak but I think that maybe that's more because i don't specialize my cities enough.

20. MrScurge

MrScurge Muggle

High Score:
    I'm a huge fan of Civ IV. Haven't played Civ V, but thinking of purchasing this one. However, I will wait for reviews from people, as the art seems far too cartoonish for my liking. If they fix the art, and people give generally good reviews, I'll be happy.