1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Sitra Ahra by Voice of the Nephilim - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Voice of the Nephilim, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Bittersweet

Bittersweet Groundskeeper

4.5/5
    Really liked the story. The time hopping was done very well and it had me hooked till the end

2. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

New chapter is up at both FF and PC.

It's completely Harry-centric, and both darklordmike and mira mirth helped me to get it in shape, so hopefully people enjoy it.

3. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

One thing I definately liked about this new update was the interaction between Harry and Dumbledore. It was nice to see Dumbledore quickly catching on too Harry's lie.

Too many Independent!Harry fics make him easily able to lie and deceive Dumbledore. Something that shouldn't be possible from what canon evidence we have of Dumbledore.

Another point, is your characterisation of the Flamels. Somehow, I don't like it. It isn't as if you are doing anything wrong. Its actually hard for me to put my finger on exactly what I do not like about them. I know its not much of a help. Maybe its just that I think of them a bit differently than how you are portraying them.

However, I will not hold that as a negative, since, Flamels are pretty much an OC. You are free to portray them as you wish.

I rated this story 5/5 in the Wba, I will be a bit more critical here and give it a 4/5 rating. I might increase it if I like the upcoming chapters. I am especially looking forward to see how you portray Quirrel. Something tells me that its going to be very different than what we are used to seeing.

4. Voice of the Nephilim

Thanks for the comments, JF.

Interlude chapter posted on both FF and PC.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I greatly enjoyed Movements 5 & 6, especially the parts with Harry in them. He, Dumbledore, and the Flamels are fascinating to read about. Other portions still tend to cause me to skim from indifference, but those characters keep me glued to my seat.

The interlude was good as well.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  6. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Agreed. It wasn't the most eventful chapter, but it was a neat way to show the passage of time. Tinn did something similar in Song of the Trees.

The seven-year flash-forward at the end was intriguing as well. It will be interesting to see who Undesirable #1 is and why he was keeping tabs on Harry at some point. Voice is certainly not afraid to experiment with moving backwards and forwards in time. He keeps the reader guessing.

It remains a great story.

7. Voice of the Nephilim

Sixth Movement now posted on FF and PC.

More Flamel interaction, so hopefully you enjoy, CheddarTrek.

Thanks for the kind words, DLM.

8. Ched

I thought the first part of the most recent chapter was a bit too long to hold attention. Once we got to Harry and Nick things picked up and it was pretty kickass.

Am I the only one who finds some of the long non-Main Character focused parts of this story to be a bit trying? I am not trying to sound like an ass but to me this story reads as half OMG!AWESOME and half, well, not. Depends on where the POV is.

I still think this is a good story though, and I look forward to the next chapter.

9. cischricin

cischricin Guest

Good work !
    Very cool, looking great so far. Keep going, I wanna see it finished!;)

10. Ched

Oh, and yeah, I did enjoy it Neph. =)

11. jpdt19

jpdt19 Fourth Year DLP Supporter

Delightful.

I must admit, the second chapter was a shock, and i didn't like part of it, but i do like the story as a whole.

Keep going!

:)

12. Voice of the Nephilim

Seventh Movement posted on FF and PC. Enjoy.

Thanks for the kind words, all.

13. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    VotN, while its been a pleasure to read so far, and I have to say, the first few chapters were stunning, it seems that it has... gone into the whole cliche ideal a bit. I assume that this will disappear once Harry gets to Hogwarts though.

Another concern I have, is that you seem to be making it a tad too melodramatic, prime example being Perenelle bursting into tears as soon as Harry says that he wouldn't mind them as parents. I mean, I could understand it for Molly, perhaps, but not for Perenelle.

Nothing major really, its just the little details.

14. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

I don't know on the one hand it is rather melodramatic but on the other hand she has also never had children before so that is probably one of those things that has always really, truly hurt her deep down, 600+ years adds up to a lot of regrets for a person.

15. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

Well she has had 600 years to pick up a stray, but she only did now because Dumbledore gave them one? Bit silly, but in the end it doesn't really matter, no use nitpicking. I like how the Flamels have been written.

Curious if the stone is going to be destroyed, and if so, how long are they going to have. It'd be pretty lulz for Harry to be all "Yay, I can spend the summer with my family!!" only to have them die halfway through.

16. Ched

My rating continues to oscillate somewhat, but I'm going to change back to a solid 4/5. My original criticisms of the story revolve around the early chapters where the focus seems to be heavily on characters that were not Harry or Voldemort or anyone else I found interesting (though the parts that did focus on those characters were spectacular).

That said, I know I read at least one review where someone said the opposite of what I did. They loved the early chapters and are getting bored with more recent ones. So I figure the author is doing well all around.

I don't think there is too much melodrama. I like how the Flamels are being written. It seems believable to me. So long as Perenelle isn't constantly breaking into tears I think it was nice to see it that once, I mean, that's a pretty big moment. Dumbledore seems very much in character, which is great, and Nicolas is fun to read.

Sorry if that's a ramble. What I'm trying to say is that this story with the last several chapters has seriously begun to kick ass. I'm really enjoying it, think the last chapter was a great update, and can't wait to read more. I'm even going back and re-reading some earlier ones with an eye to where the story is going later and being able to get into them a little more.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  17. Voice of the Nephilim

Eighth Movement is now posted on both FF and PC.

Thanks for the kind words, all.

I tried to set up Harry as being the child that Perenelle never could have, which is why she's very emotional regarding him. She feels like she's been given a chance.

I hope that Harry's first year at Hogwarts proves to be interesting to the reader. Rest assured, this will not be a canon rehash of the first year.

18. Dirk Diggory

Dirk Diggory Seventh Year

Excellent update. The infrequent Slytherin Harry stories usually have either him being accepted right away or just ignored. The in depth intro to the house in your story felt much more realistic and conveyed the isolation much more than the usual two lines about how nobody spoke to Harry or something.

Of course I'm still hoping he crucios the shit out of Draco for being such a bitch.

19. Ched

Definately a nice update. I have to admit that Slytherin sort of surprised me, but not in a bad way. The Sorting Hats reasons seemed a bit odd though.

I look forward to more!

20. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

I'm up to chapter 6 but am concerned with the direction the story is going. It seems to be heading in a direction of the standard independent Harry story.

Is Harry going to turn evil? Is he going to rebel against Dumbledore? Is he going to work with Dumbledore? Is he going to become a "real" slytherin manipulating others for his own gain? As of now this Harry seems like Canon Harry with a bit more intelligence added, whose also in Slytherin.

Is Harry's character going to stay mostly static or are his views on the scheme of things going to change?