1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Six Pomegranate Seeds by Seselt - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by mdatot, Jul 31, 2018.

1. mdatot

mdatot First Year

High Score:
    Title: Six Pomegranate Seeds
    Author: Seselt
    Rating: M
    Genre: Supernatural/Adventure
    Library Category: The Alternates
    Pairings: none so far
    Summary: At the end, something happened. Hermione clutches at one fraying thread, uncertain whether she is Arachne or Persephone. What she does know is that she will keep fighting to protect her friends even if she must walk a dark path. *time travel*

Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12132374/1/Six-Pomegranate-Seeds

What you've got here is at its heart a fairly conventional time travel fix-it fic. As the last battle ends, something goes wrong and Hermione gets to start over at Hogwarts as 11 year old pureblood orphan Cathal Rosier, plus some overpowered hax in the form of the spirit of Hogwarts and a house-elf sidekick. So far this sounds awfully generic, doesn't it? You'd expect a Malfoy romance or something to top it off.

The thing is though that the "fix it" part isn't really there. Hermione takes a very hands off approach, although constantly conflicted, and barely interacts with the main cast (including her younger self), so the main Harry Potter story unfolds like in canon and almost exclusively off screen. What you get instead is a lonely Hermione playing Cathal Rosier navigating pure-blood society, secretly preparing for the one thing she does need to fix - some unspecified disaster at the last battle. The main conflict here isn't Hermione vs Voldemort and the Death Eaters, it's Hermione vs herself.

Annoyingly though for such a character-driven fic, Hermione's characterization feels kinda wooden, especially early on, and since she keeps her own counsel and is really much older than her classmates, there aren't really that many interesting side characters either. You get to see Hermione/Cathal be a cool mysterious badass, but there's not a great deal of depth to it. Instead, what mainly carries this fic for me is the prose, which is surprisingly crisp by fanfiction standards. It sketches with light strokes, and it's just an enjoyable read. There are some mild tendencies towards the pretentious with plenty of references to mythology etc, but it's kept reasonable.

4/5 for an easily digestible but still enjoyable read.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  2. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    She allows all the stupid moments in canon to pile up, only to interfere in one crucial unspecific moment in the final battle, ignoring that the final battle is the result of all those stupid moments ?

3. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

This is terrible. 1) why the fuck does Hermione not get to be Hermione? Why make her a pureblood.
    2) the writing is okay, not terrible, but doesn't make up for the fact that
    3)it denies the very nature of a fix it story.

There is watching things happen so as to not interfere with the timeline, and then there is just writing a story with an OC, describing canon events. Which makes this a glorified Reads the Book story.

Which is fucking dumpster fire garbage.

2/5.

4. StudentPanaKleksa

StudentPanaKleksa First Year

High Score:
    I usually detest canon retreads abandoning them fast, but this one was surprisingly pleasurable read. I like author's writing style.
    I have few problems with this story. Narrator calls her constantly Hermione, which makes plenty of paragraphs confusing. Author didn't even bother to play with identity, she starts as Hermione, she finishes as Hermione, I would like to see her becoming Cathal more and more and confused because of this.
    4/5