1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

So we've all seen the same AU Soul-Transfer fic.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Zed, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Katricia

Katricia DA Member

Yeah, basically what I meant by saying that Neville being the BWL in this alternate dimension would be a moot point in the sense that Neville wouldn't necessarily be the only one who could kill Voldemort in the end.

Neville would of course have been affected by being known as the BWL since he was one, since he unlike Harry would have grown up with the fame. Neville would most likely have grown up more confident, and like you said, it would definitely speed up his development as the more powerful wizard that he is in the last 3 books, versus the shy, timid boy he was 95% of the time in early canon. The main problem with fics where Neville is the BWL is that they have a tendency to make Neville an arrogant, egotistical prat - I personally would have thought that his grandmother, or his parents if they somehow manage not to get killed on that Halloween, would have curbed any such behavior before it got to be a real problem. Fame doesn't always equal becoming a stuck-up, pompous prick who attends parties every 2nd day, especially if the reason you became famous involves the death of your parents.

I think that this could turn out to be an interesting fic, if you do ever actually end up writing it. It's a cool idea, especially if done by a good author.

2. Zed

Zed Third Year

I figured that Neville would still have confidence issues, but for different reasons. Instead of his grandmother always pressuring him to live up to his parents, he has a real legend he feels he needs to own up to.

However, with support from Dumbledore and Harry (somewhat under Alt!Harry's influence), he could grow into his abilities faster.

3. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I've played around with this idea a few times, but I've never put together enough material for a story. One my original plot ideas for CR involved an Alt!Harry conspiring to take over canon!Harry's life.

Would anyone actually be interested in reading something like this?

4. Darje

Darje Groundskeeper

I think it would be very interesting to read, but I do have one thing that would turn me off if it happened during the course of the story.

Say Alt!Harry wants to steal Harry's body, but Harry doesn't want that, nor does he want to destroy Alt!Harry to solve the problem. A merge would take place instead - I don't think this would play out very well.

It also seems a bit too deus ex for my tastes.

5. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

No merge; in fact, the relationship would be a little like the one between Dresden and Lasciel, except a hell of a lot more antagonistic.