1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Innomine, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

Oh god this.

We need PVP for end game content as far as I'm concerned, apparently each character class will only have around 100 hours of questing content, and to be honest I'd like to see a better version of SWG Pre-CU.

2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Oh god =(

Mythic was fucking horrible when I played Dark Age of Camelot, and I'd heard they'd gotten worse. So thanks EA, you couldn't manage to turn Bioware to shit, so you simply merged them with a shit company, making them half shit.

Way to fuck up the unfuckupable.

3. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Middy I hate to kick you when your down but their is no ray of sunshine here they've simply gotten dumber and more retarded. I had a big fucking problem earlier this year with them when they conviently lost my requests to cancel my subscription 5 times even though they informed me it was canceled and kept billing me, I finally told them I was going to call a lawyer(empty threat) and it got canceled permanently a week later. Im officially on the fuck Mythic side.

4. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I'm on the FUCK EA side. I don't know anything about Mythic, but everything EA touches turns to shit.

Sometimes the really good stuff takes a while to turn to shit, but it inevitably does if EA gets a hold on it.

Now I'm actually worried about this game.

5. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

lol don't get me started on Spore, so fucking terrible... never going to buy an EA game again (yes, I bought into the hype)

On a semi-related note, replayed KOTOR and played KOTOR2 for the first time these past few weeks. KOTOR + mods is as good as I remember, but I think KOTOR2 gets too much bashing. I haven't finished it yet, but I think it's a pretty good game, one which simply couldn't live up to its potential simply because of greed. ...but maybe that's the restoration patch talking, I haven't played KOTOR2 vanilla. (there are still its fair share of bugs even with the patch, however)

The characters and their backstories are very interesting (especially Kreiya) and better thought-out than the crew of KOTOR1 - though I think it suffers from an over-abundance of characters (do I really need 3 driods? 5 jedi candidates?) at least in how their personalities mesh. The story is intriguing, if a bit slow... but it's all way better than I was lead to believe and is satisfactory so far.

It makes me think how an MMO could be derived from this universe. What's to draw players? Since it's set far in the future, Revan's out of the picture, and I don't care to play out some faceless war between Sith/Republic for the tenth time. There's no one from the movies born yet either, so fans of the movies will be simply lost.

I guess they could give us some pve with exploring some ruins left by the builders, but the designers here have their work cut out for them if they think they can design a game which is both interesting and easy to follow, balanced and rewarding.

6. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

Bastila + Revan cannot be beat. KotOR II is tolerable and decent but you can't beat a game that takes place in a galaxy, far far away that has a big-titted British chick and.... you're Revan!

7. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

All of this. I nearly came when you returned from the Sand Enclave. I hadn't realised you could de-equip clothes.:awesome

8. bylfolx

bylfolx Backtraced

I think the single hottest moment in KOTOR II is dressing-up one of the female characters in the slave-leia outfit. However, if memory serves I think only the chick with the red-hair actually wore it. Can't for the life of me remember her name.

And Kalas. The Expanded Universe is everything but the movies. However, the raping I am referring to is the recent books. The ones where those aliens from another universe invaded and where Jacen went darkside. They all blow. Almost as bad as Frank Herbert's son's attempt at continuing his father's legacy.

I take that back. NOTHING is as bad as Kevin J. Anderson and that retarded smuck of a son raping Dune.

9. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

It was Mira, and no, she wasn't the only one who could wear it. Pretty much any female party member (including you, if you played as a female) could equip it...

How so? I actually like Herbert Jr.'s books. They retain that sense of reading an epic tragedy, but without being unnecesarily long winded, and, dare I say it, occaisionally boring like Herbert Sr. was.

And you are referring to the Yuuzhan Vong. They are from another galaxy, not another universe. There is quite a bit of difference between the two. And for the record, I liked them too. It was something of a relief, actually, that they came up with an enemy that was fairly original, instead of rehashing the same old Jedi vs. Sith conflict for the seventeenth time.

And Jacen falling to the Dark side was actually a really cool direction to take his character. I was still unbelievably disappointed with the LotF series though. I could tell immediately from the end of book one where the series was going to end, 'cause you know they never let the villain win. In short, great idea, ridiculously shitty execution.

Edit: Wow. I just read back over this, and... wow. I'm such a nerd...

10. bylfolx

bylfolx Backtraced

Shadowmage. I am not an angry man. I do not let hateful words effect me to the point of entering a maddened rage. Yet, you stood there and insulted one of the most original sci-fi authors. I'm sorry...

Listen here you tiny-brained maggot. The long winded words you seem to grow bored of were what made his world so powerful. We did not have a damn messiah wondering if he were going mad as he attempted to control time. No. Frank Herbert knew what he was doing. Look at the Bene Gesserit. They used selective breeding over centuries to control a male that could look at the male memories inherent in genes. The Bene Thelaixu used genes to make human minds capable of thinking like a computer. The Padishah Emperor and his predessors learned that a society raised in harsh environs grew tougher thanks to evolution. Thus, the Sadekar.

You see these novel ideas? About controlling genes? You see the questions raised in his works? Of bringing about self-fulfilling prophecies and what would happen if a child in the womb were instantly granted all their ancestor's memories? That maybe a strong personality from the past would come forth and dominate their mind. Do you see the complex things going on here? He explored Leto II as a GOD-FIGURE who reigned and kept mankind down for thousands of years. He turned his fighting team into a repressed sex-crazed female fighting force closer to each other than men because they had orgies!

Now let us compare those things with what that cocksucker of a son brought forth. Paul is wondering if he is going mad during the jihad. Damn, sign me up for some of that crazy-deep stuff. OMG! I think I just blew my mind!

You liked the Yung-whateverthefucktheyarecalled? You LIKED that tripe! That drama filled angst ridden desecration of the original series? I guess I am not surprised considering you liked the retarded words flowing forth from that fucktwat of a son.

That's what I think of your stupid literary interests. If it reflects anything of the shallow mind you call your own, then I am not surprised that those things brought enjoyment to your limited scope. Here's a piece of string, I hope you find decades of fun from it.

11. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Visas can't wear it, which is too bad since she's the one I'd rather see wear it.

Just finished KOTOR2 tonight, the ending wasn't bad, I especially like how they tied everything up, though I'm disappointed by how the characters didn't seem to change in the end (well, Briana/Visas sort of do, but Mira and the others are pretty boring). Force points were kind of ridiculous too, I was a jedi consular/jedi master at the end, and I had over 600 force points with a regen rate so fast I had to spam force lightning for over 10 minutes to deplete it.

I suddenly have a desire to write a cross over fic between HP and KOTOR - one where Harry gets a strange package containing an assassin droid. Oh the fun I could have.... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CqpGfWrmc4)

12. bylfolx

bylfolx Backtraced

Full agreement on you with that statement. Briana just seemed a bit too butch for my tastes. Plus, Visas was nicely subservient and had those amazingly luscious lips. hehe.

And I would read the fic if only to see how you would portray HK-47. I'll admit that in the first game I never got him. Which to my chagrin was quite a shame.

13. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

....It doesn't matter if the son was better or worse than the father, you can't shit anything other than shit. Dune sucks.

Now, onto the game. Being the cheap, poor and lazy bastard I am, I'm more interested in how the payment is going to work. I greatly dislike recurring fees, which is why I've never even tried World of Warcraft no matter how good some people say it is. This better be bloody spectacular for me to buy it.

14. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

I wonder if we'll get a decent update today or more Highlights of E3 crap. Personally hoping for some Demo footage.

15. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

This is a good philosophy Shezza, realize that at $15 a month you're spending $180 a year for one video game. And that's if there's no initial payment of $50. It's a colossal rip off, especially if you have other duties to attend to (school, work) because games like WOW, if they're good, are addictive and distracting.

MMOs are rip offs... even if the fee were $5 a month, over a year you'd be spending $10 more than the average cost of a video game.

I don't plan to pick up another MMO until I'm graduated and have a steady job... and even then, I may not.

You didn't get HK-47? Wow, while HK's fun in KOTOR2, he's way more fun in KOTOR1. Discovering an innocent droid in a shop... and then he starts talking about murdering people when you buy him, it's pretty funny.

16. Lokesin

Lokesin Slug Club Member

Hearing complaints about monthly fees for games which can keep you entertained for months on end (far longer than any other game you can buy) makes me want to smack somebody.

That said, I'm surprised you actually got a decent ending out of KOTOR2. The last time I played it, the last 2 hours or so of gameplay were obviously missing cutscenes, text and important plot points were being skipped, things went completely unexplained, and the last two bosses' conversations were completely bugged with no voicing attached to them at all.

17. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

...I'd rather save the money and buy fresh, new games when they come out. Frankly, I don't have $30 to spare a month. Besides, I think that if I were forced to pay a monthly fee I'd feel like I was coerced into playing the game a lot each month, because I've paid for it and I need to use it up.

Not a good feeling

18. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

Released today on their forum...

-----

Probably will be micro-transaction based. I remember a couple of articles last year that said that was the way EA wanted to go. I think I remember an article for late last year that confirmed this model for KOTOR:TOR, but it could have been John Riccitiello blowing shit out his ass.

*edit*
    Here's the article
    http://www.totalvideogames.com/Star...TOR-MMO-As-Micro-transaction-Based-13530.html

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  19. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

Crap if it's micro transaction based. I'd rather pay monthly and have a decent chance in pvp then have some guy who just started playing a week ago and purchases lots of overpowered items and pretty much kills everyone.

Really hoping they don't go down this route, or at least not put overpowered items in the shop.

20. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Well, this isn't strictly true. I still play Blizzard's games from time to time, and I still pick up TF2... and I've played a number of other games for over a year, $15 a month is actually quite a lot for a video game, especially as Shezza says, I don't like being pressured to play.

And it isn't a complaint. It's a reason why I won't pick up the game. A complaint would be me whining that a game costs money while I play it :p

As for mini-transactions... that sounds like a nightmare, especially if EA is behind it. Did you read about how much Sims mods cost from their site? Recolors are $5 each. Bloody recolors, you know, where you open a skin and hit cntrl+U in photoshop and change the hue twenty points and then you save and you're done.

Again, I don't know the vanilla game, but the patch restored missing cutscenes (they didn't have sound, however) and fully restored dialogue of the bosses, there wasn't a single unread line. The GenoHaardan part made me scratch my head, and I think there were some scenes missing regarding HK, Bao-Dur, and GOTO... but it finished rather nicely.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009