1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete That Which Is Forbidden by Tilthanial - M - Warhammer 40k

Discussion in 'Games' started by Steelbadger, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

Title: That Which Is Forbidden
    Author: Tilthanial
    Rating: M
    Genre: Claims to be Drama/Romance. It isn't.
    Fandom: Warhammer 40k
    Pairings: If you squint, Louk/Eldar lady, but not really.
    Summary: How does a man know when he crossed the line? When does he realize that his soul has tasted the sweet nectar of heresy and found it more wonderful and compelling than what he had feared it would be? Louk Shannegh, a hive-born scoundrel in service to Inquisitor Helsing of the Ordo Xenos, is faced with these questions in the aftermath of a battle for the Imperial planet Tenea.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10057557/1/That-Which-Is-Forbidden

So, what with Zombie's request for more fanfiction recs, I decided to think of the most 'reccable' stories I've read in the past couple of years. Sadly, no Harry Potter stories really popped to mind. This story, however, did.

First up, I'd say that this story's quality could easily see it into the Black Library (for those who don't know, that is the stable of Games Workshop approved licensed fiction set in their universes). It is absolutely fantastic. The quality of the writing, the flow of the narrative, the quality of the characterization is brilliant.

On the surface, it would appear to be another fic in the line of that bane of Warhammer 40k fanfiction: Human/Eldar romance wank. It isn't.

When you read the first chapter or two, you also find that Louk's Inquisitor boss-man is called 'Hellsing', which also rang an alarm bell (it seemed like a lazy name to me), but I implore you to let that pass because this story is possibly one of the best pieces of fanfiction I have ever read.

The story is told from the perspective of Louk Shannegh, an old man and retured Inquisitor living out his last days in relative solitude. When a mysterious seeker after knowledge comes to him, wishing to hear a story from Louk's past, he decides to humour them. The story is told in the form of Louk's memories as he tells the 'Seeker' his story, with occasional chapters of 'current day' events. The prose is clear and evocative, without being flowery or egregious, and is really incredibly easy to read.

Louk is a simple man, a hive ganger who's been taken under the wing of a very competent Inquisitor. He's not a good man, and he knows it, but he's constantly trying to do the right thing, to atone for the sins of his past.

The other members of Hellsing's little cadre are wonderfully realised. Dunk'er the ogryn is a particular favourite of mine, but all of them have exactly the kind of crazy variety you'd expect from an Inquisitor's retinue. All somehow held together by Hellsing's charisma and competency.

Lets touch for a moment on the categorization. I would not consider this to be Drama/Romance. Mystery and Adventure, with a dash of Horror and Drama, perhaps. The Romance here involves an Eldar Farseer who's been tortured out of her mind by Dark Eldar, so old fashioned Romance isn't really on the cards. It's exactly as messed up as Warhammer 40k should be.

Also, chaos cultists on a ship in the warp. What could go wrong?

Well, I think I've rambled long enough. If you only read one Warhammer 40k fic this year, make it this one.

5/5.

2. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I have gone through this story in two days or slightly less. It's very compelling reading, and yes, there is a sort of romance here, but it doesn't last and being this is 40k, it doesn't have a happy ending. The thing that I find most enjoyable about this fic is that you could see a lot of things in it coming a mile away, but when you got there, they didn't read any worse off for it. That said, I didn't expect that ending.

The story is more centered on one specific character, but it doesn't put everything about the universe it's set in aside to somehow make the protagonist superimpose himself on everything else. While he is elevated to be the center of attention, again, he is not somehow made superior over the others because of it. There was a few gut-wrenching moments in the story and I never really thought a flashback could cause me to experience that.

Overall, fantastic story, a 5/5 rating from me. I'm gonna have a look at the author's other works and see how they turn out.

3. dudeler

dudeler High Inquisitor

High Score:
    I have only read a couple of chapters, but so far ist hast been great. The characters are compelling, and the quality is at least on par with some the official black library stuff (better than some authors, I would argue).

Those who worry this might be some 1d4//tg/ level wankfic can be at ease.

4. dinsteho2

dinsteho2 First Year

Amazing story from start to finish. Reads better than most Black Library books to be honest. Only part that kills me is the lack of a sequel. An ending like that really demands one. Anyone know if the author is active anywhere else? He seems to have dropped off the earth a few years ago. 5/5 btw