1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Arithmancer by White Squirrel - T

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by MrPotter, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Stargon1 has if i remember right one series (The Cupboard series 7 parts) of Harry/Hermione.
    Muggle Raised champion seems to be Harry/Daphne
    His avenger fic Heroes Assemble has unknown pairing at this point.

What do you consider decent Harry/Hermione pairing ?
    For me it seems to see those two good friends becoming lovers and remain that way for long before something explode.

2. Silly

Silly Third Year

High Score:
    I remember reading this like a year ago. It's... okay. It starts out relatively decent and you think that the story has a lot of potential. But it doesn't really get better as you keep reading (it may actually get slightly worse), and at some point you're left wondering why you're still slogging through a massive 500k word story when you don't even like it all that much.

I did finish the fic though, which is more than I can say for a lot of other things I've attempted to read, so I'll give this a 3/5. Certainly not my first choice, but if you need something to do this is a way to kill a lot of time without feeling too terrible about yourself.

3. Oculled1996

Oculled1996 Squib

High Score:
    This is my main criticism for this story. It's mostly technically sound, but it's just boring. The story follows closely to the rails of canon, despite the premise suggesting Hermione's interest in maths would significantly alter the course of events. At times the story appears to follow it's own course, but it's quickly steered back on the rails of canon in the most contrived way. White Squirrel prefaces this fic by saying Hermione prefers maths to books, implying her skillset is different, but in reality, it's an excuse to have the same Hermione, only more powerful so the author can wank more over her.

Technically sound, and readable if there's nothing else, but the premise is utterly boring. 2/5

4. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've been following this story for a long time. I enjoyed it a lot at the start and though it had some potential, but it got overly tedious and very long winded for what it was portraying.

I'm not sure I can completely agree with the canon railroading. The second book does eventually go off the rails but it takes literally 1m words to get there.

It gets a 3/5 because I enjoyed initially, then got bored with it.

5. SeverusTheKnight

SeverusTheKnight First Year

= Moderator Approved Trash Bin Revive - Drome =

Title:
    The Arithmancer Trilogy
    1. The Arithmancer
    2. Lady Archimedes
    3. Annals of Arithmancy
    Author: White Squirrel
    Rating: T
    Genre: Action, Adventure
    Library Category: Adventure/Drama
    Pairings: Hermione/George, Harry/Ginny, Ron (single)
    Summary:
    The Arithmancer:
    Super-Genius Hermione's years 1-4 of schooling.
    Lady Archimedes: Super-Genius Hermione's years 5-7 of schooling.
    Annals of Arithmancy: Hermione's life after defeating Voldemort
    Link:
    The Arithmancer:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10070079/
    Lady Archimedes: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11463030/
    Annals of Arithmancy: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13001252/

There's a thread for the first book in this series in the "Trash" subforum, so feel free to move this there, too.

I endured the experience of reading the entire 1.3 Million words across the three books, and my recommendation would be to never touch this fic with a ten-foot pole.

I was going to post a proper review but I really hate this fic and I can't seem to write a coherent response for it. So I've prepared an outline that highlights crazy moments in the story and gives a general measure for tempering your expectations.

This review is in no manner comprehensive. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to elaborate. I've only mentioned the parts that can give you an impression of the plot and the characters. The characters are mostly just devices to advance the plot, all except Hermione and George. George is included because his description thorughout is just Hermione's experiences with him and thoughts about him.

This story has too much mugglewank but initially somehow it makes sense because you think it'll work out in the long run (if only for some scenarios). You soon discover you're dead wrong, that the Author literally thinks that wizards are stupid as shit and that Muggle Science is completely correct. Otherwise, there isn't much originality in the series. It's basically a self-insert with flashes of "ooh I could do that".

Hermione is the MC, but she's too OP. The author liked to flaunt epic !science! knowledge but trips by saying somehow muggles have it better than wizards (and beats you over the head with it).

The grammar is okay but it has typos. The tone is bland, though. I'm still mad about how Ron was brutally cucked.

For example, Hermione discovers how to make carbon nanotubes from gaphite and how it is super-strong so it can block the killing curse. So it's only natural for her to make a shield out of the material and bind her wand in it. The power creep is unapologetic. Had to do an eye roll at the klingon runes. At a certain point Hermione can make TNT and kill death eaters with it.

"It isn't fun! It's torture but somehow I'm hooked."
    "It's like slow poison, I can't wait for it to end."

The author goes to a lot of trouble to make it believable. Hermione quips a lot and has many epic references, not just pop culture. It's very weird when an 11 year old says stuff like that.

There's very little magical lore development. Almost none, in fact.

It's like a self-insert but the author is a real-life bookworm.

The start was promising, but it just got very weird when Hermione discovered a sixth exemption to Gamp''s Law in her third year. Like dude, that's too much. And then she discovers another a few years later when she works with particle accelerators.

Imagine buying $1000 socks. That is what this entire fanfic series is like.

Relationships

Molly has a chapter on anticipating Romione and then she gets disappointed.
    And then Hermione started dating George.

The twins are like mega geniuses themselves and george is the "kind, calm" twin.

There's too much hugging in this fic. Everyone gets hugged, except Ron.
    "the twins again carried her in their signature four-armed hug"

Penelope Clearwater lost her soul to a dementor after breaking up with Percy. Hermione restores her soul, BUT Penelope rejects Percy.

Ron
    - Ron is not involved with the Trio after year three. Hermione leaves Ron forever after he tells Harry off during year 4.
    - Dumbledore gives the Slughorn mission to Hermione, for example. Ron basically just sits in his dorm, bored
    - Ron was always interested in Hermione.
    - So was Molly in seeing them together. BUT she picked george, so the author set up Ron with Parvati. It's Ron x Parvati for like a year. And then the author has Parvati Patil brutally murdered in front of Ron during the battle of Hogwarts.
    - He marries a Brazilian girl when he's 35.

George
    He's also a sooper genius like Hermione except the only thing he knows is "pranks".
    Hermione thinks they're daring.
    George is the stable twin, and Fred doesn't die but gets "whisker-like scars".

Misc. Plot Points
    - She has three wands.
    - No animagi, phew.
    - She is 17 and she is a doctor in Arithmancy, and also has a Master of Science in Math from a muggle university.
    - She's incredibly great at Math. She's also incredible at spell-crafting, being able to literally invent arcane magicks in her big braine.
    - She was also on the run for like a year and half because Dumbledore died midway through the sixth year.
    - She discovered the SIXTH exemption to gamp' law when she was 14.
    - And she figures out how to kill a dementor.
    - Hermione perfects the "Mathemagician's map", which is like Marauder's map but with an active DB and GUI and interactive zooming, in her fourth year. it does have some kind of reply / feedback mechanism (she copied it from the taunts the marauder's map gave)
    - She also discovered that the great tower is infinitely high
    - She hired dobby under her parents
    - She's friends with all the house elves and dobby has a wife-elf
    - Hermione can cast with both hands simultaneously
    - She invented blood wands when she was 12 so she could do magic outside of school
    - she also is very rich because she sells synthetic diamonds made with magic
    - she was an inventor at 12 and wrote a paper on how muggles could use runes to do magic, then she started selling potion kits for muggle parents
    - Hermione figures out the beast was a basilisk pretty early, and then she realizes that the basilisk's gaze is only fatal if you can see the color yellow, so she develops red sunglasses and only gets stunned and not petrified. She wakes up in the hospital wing, goes back to save Ginny with Ron, Harry and Prof Vector.
    - Harry gets the sword but he's too far away. Hermione lures the basilisk and it strikes her, but Harry lunges from underneath and stabs its brain, and is crushed in the process.
    - Hermione is writing papers for every significant spell she develops or something, so she's super accomplished
    - Hermione is the only Gryffindor student Snape ever gives points to.

I'm probably suppressing many of the more heinous ones.

Year 4
    Hermione develops a spell to help harry in the first task. She filters magnesium from the soil and incendios it to disorient the Dragon. That was pretty cool. The dragon arena was centrifuged.
    the best part of this fic (Arithmancer) was how the triwizard tasks were designed.
    Second task: she teaches harry underwater spells and coaches all the champions on how to work together according to group theory and the prisoner's dilemma (The lake had a group event).
    Third task: she tells harry how the cube works and how he should approach the entire thing
    The maze was a four dimensional cube filled with weird stuff.
    yes of course, she came to hogwarts from beauxbatons to help him (her parents forced her to leave Hogwarts after she almost gets killed every year)

Year 5
    Umbridge is evil.
    She Crucios Luna, whips the Weasley twins and kills Cho Chang.
    Hermione comes in to save the day

Hermione turns Unbridge into some kind of fourth dimensional monster or something

Hermione and Harry get abducted from the night bus to force the fifth year ministry plot and Hermione modifies air molecules to turn air into nitrous oxide to make their attackers faint with her finger touching the butt of her wand.

Year 6
    Dumbledore is cursed in the Gaunt Shack which he visits with Harry and Hermione. Hermione is also an expert Legilimens.
    Hermione's personal tutor is Horace Slughorn whom she has to convince to part with his memory about Tom Riddle.
    Dumbledore is killed by Draco post Gaunt Ring rescue mission.

Year 7
    - Ron is forgotten. He also doesn't go on the run with them
    - Hermione is the power that Voldemort doesn't know about (according to the prophecy). It's wild, very over-the-top. Ron gets cucked six ways to sunday and Hermione has no flaws but it's written in a very average, earthy tone which makes it very infuriating.
    - Hermione just discovered "True Love's Kiss" for the ritual to remove the Horcrux from Harry.
    - The way she solves the "detecting souls" problem is literally four words. She needs to detect souls as a prerequisite to killing Horcruxes with a spell.
    - Hermione gets the trace off herself somehow, that was cool.
    - Harry is the BWL but the prophecy is clear about how Hermione is the power that the dark lord knows not. So he's just a prop
    - Hermione destroys the horcrux inside Ravenclaw's diadem, so she has the untainted diadem. Only she's smart enough to use it. She's a natural Ravenclaw, but also a Fierce Gryffindor and a developed Slytherin. She's also loyal to Harry so she's a Hufflepuff.

Horcruxes

Hermione develops a spell to kill horcruxes (Magrisha Kedavra) that only kills the errant soul inside. It's Avada Kedavra but with a twist, it goes through all magical barriers.

Killing Voldy
    This is how Hermione kills Voldemort:
    She makes a ritual that kills everyone born on the same day as Voldemort.
    Luna's soul is sucked by a dementor during the Battle of Hogwarts and hermione rescues her and Penelope Clearwater.

Okay, so Harry and Ginny are crux'd to each other, they have to sleep in the same bed, yada yada
    Hermione just pops into Hogwarts and hands a rune diagram to Prof Babbling and tells her to carve it into the runs stones of hogwarts and then (here's the idiotic part) she has someone contact every kind of intelligent being to check if they're born on the same day as Voldy, and then five of them (Harry, Ginny, Luna, Babbling and Hermione) start the ritual, but Voldy senses it and comes to disrupt it BUT he is just a split second late and he dies.
    But the ritual has a price - the casters have extremely bad luck until the sun comes up. Babbling straight up dies, Luna has a dementor kiss her, Harry and Ginny's soulbond fucks up and Hermione wears the diadem and has to fight off a crazed bellatrix for an entire hour and in the end she kills her with self-replicating nano-machinery made of carbon nanotubes. They destroy the entire astronomy tower in collateral damage and she swings from windows using her (three) wands like spider-man.

Malfoy Manor
    Hermione discoveres that continental drift is throwing off rune stones and ley line wards, and breaks into Malfoy Manor and rescues a bunch of people. Bellatrix carves MUDBLOOD on her arm and she cuts off her basilisk skin coat to flaunt it during battle.
    They try to rescue some unnamed muggleborn and kill Bill Weasley and Muriel in the aftermath. Shock value, a Weasley has to die because canon.
    Dumbledore says he trusts Bill and Mad-Eye with the horcrux stuff.
    So Bill, Harry and Hermione go to the cave
    stuff happens and hermione saves him
    Then hermione figures out how to kill horcruxes
    She projectiles a broom over the inferi lake and saves them from the inferi using her conjured / weaved atom-perfect carbon-nanotube buckler which can withstand killing curses, and she also has a sword made from the same, reinforced with runes to make it atom-thin at the edges
    Okay, so they get the horcrux from the lake and discover it's a fake and they get the original from fletcher and Sirius kills it (yes sirius is alive) and now the three go to find another horcrux (yes, hermione saved sirius and she also killed 90% of the basilisk).
    So the three go to find another horcurx and Bill gets injured, he has internal bleeding or something and Fleur starts giving birth at the same time. So there's the entire Weasley family in the room and a naked Fleur and Bill dying next to her, and Hermione is fiercely trying to concentrate on making a new spell to save him while utilizing the diadem of Ravenclaw. She saves Fleur because the diadem gives her photographic memory from when she flipped through her parents' books as a toddler or something, and then she realizes that Bill needs attention but they need to go to a muggle hospital because they can't go to St. Mungo's. So the entire Weasley family (and Aunt Muriel, The Burrow has been destroyed because Hermione said "Voldemort" and the taboo is active) go to a muggle hospital. Bill is admitted but Voldemort comes to the hospital. Everyone runs away and tries to save themselves, Bill and Muriel die. Voldemort throws cars on harry because apparently there's no way around the "brother wands" dilemma.

Saving Harry
    Hermione figures out a ritual that is the "arithmantic inverse" of the Horcrux ritual.
    Dumbledore couldn't figure this out.
    It requires:
    - breastmilk (donated by Fleur)
    - patronus (from George)
    - runes and spells (Hermione)
    - true love's kiss (Ginny)
    And then she transfers Harry's soul into Ginny, and the horcrux wakes up.
    She then Magrisha Kedavra's it and then transfers Harry's soul back BUT it wasn't clean and now Harry and Ginny are LightCrux'd to each other.
    yup, soul bond.

Annals of Arithmancy

This book continues after Voldemort's death. Hermione's goal in life is now to kill all Dementors (through the ritual she discovered. Remember, she's 18). The first quarter of this book is devoted to Harry, Ginny, Hermione, George, Luna and Neville apparating around the world to celebrate the year 2000 15 times or something.
    She then goes to Hogwarts and this time, it's the new head of Gryffindor house that is a Death Eater sympathizer who bungles the Order's emergency portkey while Hermione is escaping from Death Eaters and tries to kill Harry (and Hermione saves the day again).

Also, Harry and Hermione get the Order of Merlin (first class) but Ron gets literally nothing.
    Hermione has killed four horcruxes.

Then the fic veers to successively larger time jumps. Hermione and George get married, pick a house, have kids, etc.

Hermione discovers the Seventh Exemption to Gamp's Law, subdues the World Serpent, has kids who are even smarter than her, etc. Basically a total wankfest.

Then Hermione discovers that Repealing the Statute of Secrecy needs to be given weight, so at 30 she's a fugitive and convinces the entire Wizengamot to repeat the Statute. Then the story ends just moments before it is repealed.

0.5/5. Holds a ton of promise initially but the author can't temper his love for Super!Hermione. Gets progressively worse, and is almost unbearable to read at the end. I was practically crying blood reading Annals of Arithmancy, only my completionist tendency saved me.

And the same brought you this review. Please don't read this fic. Your time is better served reading literally anything else.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2021
  6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't like The Arithmancer. I don't like the overpowered super Hermione who relegates Harry to a minor role. I don't like the insertion of scientific and mathematical ideas into magic. I don't like the Muggleish depiction of magical warfare.

However, even I can recognise that 0.5/5 is an absurd rating for this story. The content does not suit my personal preference, but it is painly competently written. And complete, a rare achievement.

I may not agree with the author's fanfic preferences, but I respect their writing abilities, and it would be immature to rate it with an absurdly low score just because the worldbuilding hits all my pet peeves.

3/5

7. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter